Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WWYD: accept the engine swapped GT3 or pass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
The Cup car is a spec class just like 458 Challenge class. They can run whatever they want. The 458 runs the same DCT trans used in the street car save a shorter gear set.

GT3 America, GT3 R, and GT3 RSR are a different story but the base engine could certainly be used in all these applications just like the Mezger is in the current cars.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

The chances Porsche will use the 991GT3 engine in future racing is slim at this time,to say the least. The chances Porsche will learn from their mistakes at the customers expense and then make a durable DFI racing engine is what I envision for the future.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Was looking at used F 458s and found this gem on info:

"In 2012, Ferrari recalled certain 2011 and 2012 cars because the engine can freeze suddenly and possibly cause a crash. The F136 engines have crankshafts that were machined incorrectly. The automaker learned of one such incident from a review car lent to critics. Owners can choose from having a new engine installed by their dealer, having the engine removed and the work done by Ferrari North America or having a new crankshaft and bearings installed at the dealership."

It appears more commonplace than I thought.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

"In 2012, Ferrari recalled certain 2011 and 2012 cars because the engine can freeze suddenly and possibly cause a crash. The F136 engines have crankshafts that were machined incorrectly. The automaker learned of one such incident from a review car lent to critics. Owners can choose from having a new engine installed by their dealer, having the engine removed and the work done by Ferrari North America or having a new crankshaft and bearings installed at the dealership."

Interesting. From the wording of the above, "do nothing" was not presented as an option. Does this mean that all engines were replaced or repaired?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

Wait, and the world didn't end? The value of 458's didn't plummet and people didn't stop buying them? Ferrari's reputation wasn't permanently ruined? 458 owners weren't publicly shamed and forced to wear sackcloth and ashes? Mothers didn't hide their children as the poor wretches passed on the street? How can this not all have happened when we know these events must surely come to pass after a recall?

Pardon the sarcasm, thanks for the post Max....
Old 03-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

......and if I had one of those 458's on order I would have cancelled and waited till next year. Again, why take a very expensive car with a potentially defective engine? Just wait till next year. Porsche/Ferrari/Mercedes makes no difference. There is no shame or whatever else you are referring to. Just common sense really...great car with a problem. Take one after the problem is fixed.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bacura
......and if I had one of those 458's on order I would have cancelled and waited till next year. Again, why take a very expensive car with a potentially defective engine? Just wait till next year. Porsche/Ferrari/Mercedes makes no difference. There is no shame or whatever else you are referring to. Just common sense really...great car with a problem. Take one after the problem is fixed.
Personal decision on your part, which is fine. My tongue-in-cheek point was that this problem doesn't appear to have poisoned the well with regards to the 458 resale market as some have suggested will be the case in a similar situation with the GT3. Whatever else I'm referring to is that several posters have said that Porsche should compensate 991 GT3 owners for their "embarrassment".
Old 03-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 458

As an owner of a 2011 458 and waiting on the news about my GT3, There were about 100 Ferrari 458's that Ferrari identified in about 2 weeks that had a bad crank shaft. They knew exactly which cars has the bad crank shaft and made engine swaps done at the dealer. I saw several at my dealer being done. Mine was not one of the bad crankshafts. This was a supplier problem. They fixed it.

If as some of you are saying Porsche may need to replace all engines because they don;t know which one has a bad part from a supplier. That would say they have no control of what part went into what engine by which supplier. Thus anytime there is a supplier issue they would replace ALL engines. Don't thinks so. It the result is a supplier issues, my guess, Porsche knows exactly which cars have a bad part. If it's an engine design issue, that I can see a 100% engine replacement.

When we get our calls, we will find out.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Prudent choice if you're not already invested. But for those already in the game as I've said an engine change shouldn't be keeping you up at night.

Admittedly, my view is biased by years of watching engines popped in and out of Cup cars like it's nothing. I can see where folks new to the Porsche brand and or stretching for their first GT3 could be easily freaked out.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Clocked
As an owner of a 2011 458 and waiting on the news about my GT3, There were about 100 Ferrari 458's that Ferrari identified in about 2 weeks that had a bad crank shaft. They knew exactly which cars has the bad crank shaft and made engine swaps done at the dealer. I saw several at my dealer being done. Mine was not one of the bad crankshafts. This was a supplier problem. They fixed it.

If as some of you are saying Porsche may need to replace all engines because they don;t know which one has a bad part from a supplier. That would say they have no control of what part went into what engine by which supplier. Thus anytime there is a supplier issue they would replace ALL engines. Don't thinks so. It the result is a supplier issues, my guess, Porsche knows exactly which cars have a bad part. If it's an engine design issue, that I can see a 100% engine replacement.

When we get our calls, we will find out.
Unlike with the Ferrari motor, the problem here is that there were only 2 failures, evidence of the cause was damaged or destroyed by fire, and my information is that it has been very difficult to reproduce the fault in multiple engines that were subsequently tested. Engine design is almost certainly not the issue for reasons that have been repeated here many times. If an actual redesign were required, as opposed to a part replacement or upgrade, testing and evaluation would take months, not a few weeks. As has also been pointed out multiple times, the nature of the repair may be such that an engine replacement rather than repair in the field is the best solution for both the customer and Porsche.

Whatever action will be taken, whether an engine replacement for all vehicles or some other partial repair, it will be wide ranging to insure that all the bases are covered and no customer is left with a potentially suspect engine.

As you say, let's see what happens.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder what the Las Vegas odds on AP loosing his job are?
I think it largely depends on whether he was for or against the changes to the car behind closed doors... We only know his public stance which he'd be required to present regardless.

There will however likely be some engineers who will find it hard to get automotive work as a result of this...
Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Admittedly, my view is biased by years of watching engines popped in and out of Cup cars like it's nothing. I can see where folks new to the Porsche brand and or stretching for their first GT3 could be easily freaked out.
Race cars and street cars are completely different. There is no carfax, no insurance claims, none of that on a race car. Race cars are built for one purpose and one purpose alone - to win...and with race cars, it's EXPECTED to have engines and other components replaced and rebuilt due to wear and tear. That's EXPECTED. On a brand new street car, it should not be expected....

And again, nobody is saying the replaced engine GT3's will be a bad car or have issues in the future. What is being said is that the PERCEPTION to the next owner will be that its worth LESS. It's been like that since the beginning of time with cars - all original cars sell for more money than ones that have had major components replaced. Period. and especially with limited production or specialty models.

Put it another way....forget this whole engine thing for a moment: Lets say you're brand new GT3 arrived at the dealership, and someone backed into it in the parking lot before you were able to take delivery...and it did $50,000 worth of damage. The dealer said they would fix it completely and you'd never be able to tell what happened, it would be perfect...

Would you still take delivery if they gave you the option of backing out???

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Race cars and street cars are completely different. There is no carfax, no insurance claims, none of that on a race car. Race cars are built for one purpose and one purpose alone - to win...and with race cars, it's EXPECTED to have engines and other components replaced and rebuilt due to wear and tear. That's EXPECTED. On a brand new street car, it should not be expected....

And again, nobody is saying the replaced engine GT3's will be a bad car or have issues in the future. What is being said is that the PERCEPTION to the next owner will be that its worth LESS. It's been like that since the beginning of time with cars - all original cars sell for more money than ones that have had major components replaced. Period. and especially with limited production or specialty models.

Put it another way....forget this whole engine thing for a moment: Lets say you're brand new GT3 arrived at the dealership, and someone backed into it in the parking lot before you were able to take delivery...and it did $50,000 worth of damage. The dealer said they would fix it completely and you'd never be able to tell what happened, it would be perfect...

Would you still take delivery if they gave you the option of backing out???
What's your point relative to my comment? I wasn't making a value assessment.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad you asked this question.

My head says ARE YOU STUPID]. I've been in business all my life. We design, manufacturer and distribute our own products. I've been through a recall. We had a problem but could not identify what the issue was. We had three independent mechanical engineering firms on it for months. Each one came up with a different root cause. All the cad programs, testing could not identify the real root cause. It ended up being a simple design fault. The only way it was identified was through extended testing which took months and months of observation. We then went about doing a complete recall. It cost millions of dollars but we did survive it and are a better company for it. My point is that an engine is a seriously complicated thing and that's a normal motor. this thing is cutting edge everything. There is a good chance Porsche may not have found the root cause of what ever the problem is. Or it may be a combination of a few things who knows. My business brain spends most of it's time assessing business risks. It's telling me to continue with this transaction is a big risk. Porsche may have the runs on the board for producing robust cars but when you push technology like they have even mighty Porsche might have bitten off a bit more than they can chew.

Now here's the thing. My Heart and soul says WHO THE f%**K CARES. anyone who is purchasing a GT3 for it's resale value is an absolute wan***r. The only and I mean the only reason to purchase this car is so that you can really enjoy yourself beating the crap out of it.

I have never driven this car so how hard is it to keep the faith. The only thing that keeps me in it are the comments from people about how truly great this car is.

So I guess I'll tick it and risk it. What's the worst thing that can happen. I might lose a significant amount of money. Well that's happened before and I am still breathing so I think I will follow my heart because I will not here forever and GOD this thing sounds exciting to drive. BETTER NOT TO DIE WONDERING.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

After considerable angst I decided to take the car even though it received an engine replacement. Checked with various knowledgeable people and the consensus was that as long as the installer knows what he is doing it should not be a problem.

To level the playing field for resale against cars which did not have their engines replaced, Porsche should extend the warranty on our cars.

Quick Reply: WWYD: accept the engine swapped GT3 or pass?