Sponsored by:

Bucket seat options

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts
Default Bucket seat options

I want to install bucket seats & harness bart but not sure what would be the best option. So few questions I'm trying to resolve:

1. I want to retain the passenger comfort a bit and access to rear space, so I'd like to have at least passenger seat recline. I am not instructing and rarely have anyone ride with me so I thought about just keeping the stock passenger seat and getting fixed-back for driver. Would it be an acceptable option?

2. I'm 150lbs with 30"-31" waist. Does this limit seat choices? Of course, I'll make sure to try any seats I consider, but any models I should look for? I intend to use HANS or something similar.

3. Any recommended places to try & buy seats in Bay Area?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Max, you might want to PM mooty and get his advice. He also seems to always have some nice seats for sale. I believe he was recently selling a set of recaro SPGs.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:22 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

recaro SPGs would be perfect for you...thats what I was using and they are snug but fantastic.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If a reclining feature is mandatory, the factory GT2 buckets are one of the few options you have. Alternatively, you can wait for the 918 seats to be available - my guess is that they will be available to order either when the MY15 GT3 comes out or the RS is put into production. You'll be paying $10k+ for either, though.

Your best bet to try a variety of seats is to go to the next track day with GT3 attendance.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Last year I ran a Recaro PP Driver seat & a stock passenger seat so I still had good access to the rear area but I don’t love the mismatched look on a street car (or the extra weight of the bulky Sport Seat) so I may go double Recaro this year. 2 Porsche folding Sport Buckets would be better but obviously a lot more dough. Some track events will insist driver & passenger are restrained the same way (so in those rare cases when I have a passenger we both just use the standard 3-point belts).
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea to check with Mooty as he's in the neighborhood and an expert. Personally I wouldn't go for a halo seat for use of the street as it would be too restrictive. I'd prefer a pair of the early RS seats if they can be made to work or pick up a non-halo fixed back race seat like a:
http://racetech-usa.com/shop/RT1000-motorsport-seats
or
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...profi-spa.html
Not as good as a halo seat on the track but a reasonable compromise if you're street driving.
Most likely we're a year or more away from having the next generation Porsche bucket seats available which would be the most visually appealing.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
If a reclining feature is mandatory, the factory GT2 buckets are one of the few options you have.
The GT2 seats do not recline. The back angle is fixed. They do fold forward to facilitate access to the storage area behind the seats. Nice feature in the GT2, not really of any benefit in the Cayman R.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM
MOMO USA
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Max,

If you don't ever have anyone ride with you, kind of a waste to buy a bucket seat to replace the OEM seat. I'd probably leave that one there, although the visuals of only having one bucket can bother some people.

Your size is almost the ideal size for bucket seat shopping, you should be able to fit into most seats. One thing to consider though is your shoulders, people with much broader shoulders definitely should sit in the intended seat before purchasing to make sure it's not constricting there. Also, i'm not sure how tall you are but when you get into 6 ft range, the height of the seat when wearing a helmet can sometimes cause problems especially if the car is caged. For me, I took out my bucket seat after track days as it was kind of a pain dailying in them and I didn't want to cause too much wear on the side bolster by getting in and out of it all the time.

But below are two seat options that we currently have

We have our MOMO Supercup Seat ($629.95)

If you're looking for a seat with head restraints we also have our LESMO One Seat ($849.95)

Last edited by MOMO USA; 03-10-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the same position as Max LTV except I'm 6' X 210 lbs. My car will be a daily driver but will see 6-8 track days/ year. I want a track or competition seat and harness but need enough comfort for DD. How difficult is it to buy a non reclining seat and switch out for track days? Is this impractical? Is my best bet to find the most comfortable least aggressive reclining competition seat and just leave it in?
Old 03-10-2014, 03:31 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by JFA65
I'm in the same position as Max LTV except I'm 6' X 210 lbs. My car will be a daily driver but will see 6-8 track days/ year. I want a track or competition seat and harness but need enough comfort for DD. How difficult is it to buy a non reclining seat and switch out for track days? Is this impractical? Is my best bet to find the most comfortable least aggressive reclining competition seat and just leave it in?
I am also 6’ (and ~200 lbs). The first few seats I tried were way too snug but 2 I found that fit me (and were ‘ok’ for DD) were the Recaro Pole Position and Recaro Profi XL. You definitely need to sit in a seat to make sure it fits before you buy!

Once you get the initial install of the rails and other hardware done (which I will be getting done professionally again) then you should be able to swap in/out the seat by yourself easily for track days. You may be able to do the initial install on your own depending on how handy you are but that is a bit beyond me.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do harnesses require a cage or bar? Can they simply be "clipped" to an attachment in the back? I want to retain access to the back.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Do harnesses require a cage or bar? Can they simply be "clipped" to an attachment in the back? I want to retain access to the back.
I think in the GT3 you will need a harness bar, rollbar or cage (not sure if you can attach the harness to any other factory mounting points?). The GMG bar looks well designed to allow a decent amount of storage in the back.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:52 PM
MOMO USA
Former Vendor

If you don't necessarily need a non reclining seat, going with a reclinable is definitely more practical and will be more comfortable without a doubt. If you MUST have a fixed bucket, taking it in and out for track days isn't too much of a hassle. I'd say about as much work as taking on and off a wheel.

Typically you'd want to run a harness bar, with a harness bar installed you will lose some access to your rear seat and it'll be harder to put things back there. But it won't be completely useless.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

at your ht and wt, i am fairly certain you dont fit pp correctly b/c the shoulder hole will be BELOW your should blade. profi xl, good.

try the seat. find a shop that knows and acutally read the seat manual.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:57 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Question- will the 997 euro carbon buckets bolt directly to the 991 GT3 mounting points??

Quick Reply: Bucket seat options