Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Harness Bar and Seats (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/804228-harness-bar-and-seats.html)

est8esq 03-09-2014 08:42 PM

Harness Bar and Seats

Just had a harness bar and seats installed.

Trying to get better pictures, but here's what I was able to take so far.

allans 03-09-2014 08:48 PM

Who makes/sells Bar please? Thanks, Allan

orthojoe 03-09-2014 08:49 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing! I may have to go this route myself...

est8esq 03-09-2014 08:51 PM

GMG Rollbar

Originally Posted by allans (Post 11199145)
Who makes/sells Bar please? Thanks, Allan

Sorry, I should have included this info.

I ordered from GMG.

allans 03-09-2014 08:56 PM

Thanks. Sorry too, I should of asked about "install" time & difficulty? Allan

Nan P 03-09-2014 08:58 PM

That looks Sharp!!!
While I'm sure I know what the outcome of this setup will be on the track, make sure you continue to post your comments on the new setup.

Macca 03-09-2014 09:08 PM

Great work. Those seats will save you more weight than the half cage and belts added I suspect (and feel so much damn better/connected on the road)...

997TTMeteor 03-09-2014 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by est8esq (Post 11199136)
Just had a harness bar and seats installed.

Trying to get better pictures, but here's what I was able to take so far.

Looks great – thanks for the pics. I’m planning to get the GMG bar as well.

SamFromTX 03-09-2014 09:33 PM

Awesome. Two questions:

1-If you drive this car frequently, not just on track, how difficult is it to get in and out of those seats?
2-Why did you put different seats on each side?

997TTMeteor 03-09-2014 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by SamFromTX (Post 11199255)
Awesome. Two questions:

1-If you drive this car frequently, not just on track, how difficult is it to get in and out of those seats?
2-Why did you put different seats on each side?

That Halo seat will offer incredible support with those lower & side bolsters, but it’s a bitch to get in & out of – not good for street driving (and halo’s are illegal here in Ontario for street driving, not sure about various States?), but AWESOME for track driving. If you want to run a harness, get WAY better support than the stock seats and still be able to get in/out (reasonably) easily there are lots of options. I’m installing a Recaro Pole Position seat (+ Schroth 6-point) that I ran last season. It has much less support than the seat in est8esq’s car (and won’t protect your neck in a lateral impact like that seat) but it’s a good all-rounder, and again, WAY better than the standard seats. You feel so much more connected to the car & the road, and can stop violently bracing yourself. Huge upgrade. Just make sure you try a seat (actually sit in it) before you buy. Deferent seats for different body types.

SamFromTX 03-09-2014 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor (Post 11199342)
That Halo seat will offer incredible support with those lower & side bolsters, but it’s a bitch to get in & out of – not good for street driving (and halo’s are illegal here in Ontario for street driving, not sure about various States?), but AWESOME for track driving. If you want to run a harness, get WAY better support than the stock seats and still be able to get in/out (reasonably) easily there are lots of options. I’m installing a Recaro Pole Position seat (+ Schroth 6-point) that I ran last season. It has much less support than the seat in est8esq’s car (and won’t protect your neck in a lateral impact like that seat) but it’s a good all-rounder, and again, WAY better than the standard seats. You feel so much more connected to the car & the road, and can stop violently bracing yourself. Huge upgrade. Just make sure you try a seat (actually sit in it) before you buy. Deferent seats for different body types.

Gotcha, thanks. I understand the seat sizes and shapes are different but is the seat back incline angle standard on all or do they vary as well? When I get a bucket seat, I would like to get one with more inclined back than average.

997TTMeteor 03-09-2014 10:13 PM

BTW, a Recaro Pole Position is very similar to the passenger seat in est8esq’s car (which I think is a Recaro Profi XL, another good all-round seat, just a slightly different fit).

997TTMeteor 03-09-2014 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SamFromTX (Post 11199350)
Gotcha, thanks. I understand the seat sizes and shapes are different but is the seat back incline angle standard on all or do they vary as well? When I get a bucket seat, I would like to get one with more inclined back than average.

I think most of them are fixed at similar angles, but if you get it installed and you are really uncomfortable, adjustments can be made to change the angle. I thought the same thing before I put in my PP, but it’s actually perfect on-track. It’s definitely more upright than I would position a “Sport Seat” but in a fixed bucket, it feels right (for me, anyway).

SamFromTX 03-09-2014 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor (Post 11199384)
I think most of them are fixed at similar angles, but if you get it installed and you are really uncomfortable, adjustments can be made to change the angle. I thought the same thing before I put in my PP, but it’s actually perfect on-track. It’s definitely more upright than I would position a “Sport Seat” but in a fixed bucket, it feels right (for me, anyway).

Thanks. What about something like this:
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...uct/sport.html

997TTMeteor 03-09-2014 10:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SamFromTX (Post 11199437)
Thanks. What about something like this:
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...uct/sport.html

I don’t think that one would give you much more support than the stock seats. The harness would help, but if you’re gonna do it, my suggestion would be to go a bit further. If you really want a folding feature, I think this one from Status looks pretty good (and it reclines), but I don’t know anyone who’s used it: