Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thanks. What about something like this:
https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...uct/sport.html
Sam, IMO, those seats are worse than your OEM seats. Those seats aren't meant for the track. No anti sub pass-throughs either
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
I don’t think that one would give you much more support than the stock seats. The harness would help, but if you’re gonna do it, my suggestion would be to go a bit further. If you really want a folding feature, I think this one from Status looks pretty good (and it reclines), but I don’t know anyone who’s used it:
Sweet, thanks. I will definitely look into those as I have had 4 back surgeries (including 2 fusions) in the past and driving in an upright position more than 30 minutes is a killer.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Sam, IMO, those seats are worse than your OEM seats. Those seats aren't meant for the track. No anti sub pass-throughs either
Thank you!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:02 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
Just had a harness bar and seats installed.

Trying to get better pictures, but here's what I was able to take so far.
Very cool! I was looking to do something similar. Were you able to turn off the airbag warning lights?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
That Halo seat will offer incredible support with those lower & side bolsters, but it’s a bitch to get in & out of – not good for street driving (and halo’s are illegal here in Ontario for street driving, not sure about various States?), but AWESOME for track driving. If you want to run a harness, get WAY better support than the stock seats and still be able to get in/out (reasonably) easily there are lots of options. I’m installing a Recaro Pole Position seat (+ Schroth 6-point) that I ran last season. It has much less support than the seat in est8esq’s car (and won’t protect your neck in a lateral impact like that seat) but it’s a good all-rounder, and again, WAY better than the standard seats. You feel so much more connected to the car & the road, and can stop violently bracing yourself. Huge upgrade. Just make sure you try a seat (actually sit in it) before you buy. Deferent seats for different body types.
Yes, Meteor is dead on. The Pro Racer isn't as easy to get in and out of as the Profi, but gives significantly better protection to the head especially when used w/ the Hans device. After driving in it on my last car, I can get in and out no different than any other car. I installed the Profi for the passenger side since it's easier to get in and out of for the unfamiliar, figuring most will be students.

A couple years ago, I was running pretty aggressively w/ a car when he spun and went head in hard, spin and then tail in to a concrete wall right in front of me. Thought he killed himself, but gratefully he walked away. Never saw a car disintegrate like that before and I'm not too proud to share it scared the snot outta me.

For me I'm not opposed to driving the GT3 on the street, but bought her primarily for the track. So, the modest wedge feeling as you slide into the seat isn't much of an inconvenience. The only thing you need to do after sliding the seat back is push the steering wheel in. It all seems second nature to me at this point.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, Meteor is dead on. The Pro Racer isn't as easy to get in and out of as the Profi, but gives significantly better protection to the head especially when used w/ the Hans device. After driving in it on my last car, I can get in and out no different than any other car. I installed the Profi for the passenger side since it's easier to get in and out of for the unfamiliar, figuring most will be students.

A couple years ago, I was running pretty aggressively w/ a car when he spun and went head in hard, spin and then tail in to a concrete wall right in front of me. Thought he killed himself, but gratefully he walked away. Never saw a car disintegrate like that before and I'm not too proud to share it scared the snot outta me.

For me I'm not opposed to driving the GT3 on the street, but bought her primarily for the track. So, the modest wedge feeling as you slide into the seat isn't much of an inconvenience. The only thing you need to do after sliding the seat back is push the steering wheel in. It all seems second nature to me at this point.
Great input, thanks.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Sweet, thanks. I will definitely look into those as I have had 4 back surgeries (including 2 fusions) in the past and driving in an upright position more than 30 minutes is a killer.
I don't know anything about status, but if the status seats that 997TTMeteor is showing you have anti sub pass-throughs, then they may be your ticket.

Is there such a thing as a reclineable race seat with anti-sub pass-throughs?...
Old 03-09-2014, 11:35 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I'm going to do the same, once I'm sure Porsche is not taking the car away for another month or more. Please post details about any caveats of install or any things to looks out for. I'll post questions about seat options in a separate thread, not to threadjack
Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Est8esq,

Did you do anything to defeat the airbag warning lights ??
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Est8esq,

Did you do anything to defeat the airbag warning lights ??
My car is still at dealer and these were just installed this past Friday.

In speaking to my tech, he indicated that Porsche didn't currently have a way to defeat the light. We spoke about resistors, but he suggested against it, saying they could cause permanent electrical issues down the road?

I've got a data acquisition system being installed next (waiting for OBDII connection) and I'm not sure if I heard him right, but thought maybe he was going to try something there??

I'm going to speak w/ him later this week. Will keep you all posted.

Was supposed to run at VIR this week and so disappointed. Doubt Porsche will release our cars by then?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:58 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Very nice. Looks like the seat mounting brackets are Recaro too, correct? Do they bolt to the factory sliders?

Also , what is the distance from the seat back to the mounting point for the shoulder harness?

Forgot to ask- what is the tunnel side set up for the lap belts? Do you keep the factory receptacle and can you use the 3 pt belt on the street?

Thanks!

Last edited by zedcat; 03-10-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added question
Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't know anything about status, but if the status seats that 997TTMeteor is showing you have anti sub pass-throughs, then they may be your ticket.

Is there such a thing as a reclineable race seat with anti-sub pass-throughs?...
Yes, it looks like that Status seat can be made with a sub pass-through (pics on their website gallery). I have no affiliation, just found them online when I was looking for a folding/reclining option (and a local reputable shop carries them) – pretty cool site (http://www.statusracing.com) – you can configure your seat with different hardware, materials, colors, even stitching, etc. I don’t think the seat pictured above is FIA approved (I think because the way it reclines) but the rest of their line appears to be FIA approved so I think they are a quality seat builder (but anyone buying should do more research). Not too many reclining options out there that accommodate a 6-pt harness tho.

Est8esq – please let us know how everything works out – looks great!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I should have included this info.

I ordered from GMG.
Very nice!
Were the seats and roll bar hard to install? What about all the electronics - airbag sensors etc? Did you have to do any special tricks to fool the computer?

How much for the seat and bar?

Thanks, Jerry
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto YOCOHO' s questions. Is it possible to easily remove/replace the seat between track days and is a bar mandatory for a 5-6 point harness?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Very nice. Looks like the seat mounting brackets are Recaro too, correct? Do they bolt to the factory sliders?

Also , what is the distance from the seat back to the mounting point for the shoulder harness?

Forgot to ask- what is the tunnel side set up for the lap belts? Do you keep the factory receptacle and can you use the 3 pt belt on the street?

Thanks!
cool seats.
those are what i run in my cars.
the slider in the pic is a recaro slider
the brackets are steel, you can get silver alum ones from recaro too.

getting in and out of the car. depending on how big your tigh is. i get get in, but i can't fit thigh bn bolster than steering whee (once get in it's perfet). now i run a 320mm str wheel.

there are many ways to mount the seat. ht, and such. you really need a good shop to get it right.

Quick Reply: Harness Bar and Seats