Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   some questions (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/804147-some-questions.html)

LateBrake911 03-09-2014 12:51 PM

some questions

Good.. hope it's fixed soon.. still some time for off topic.. ..or send me to the correct forum..
Can you race 991 gt3 w/0 club sport? guess not. What is specifically exactly the BEST race school (lol, opinion) to start w/ (SCCA License) and any 991 gt3 guys going to these this year so we can go together and compare notes specifically to the 991 gt3.

.. It looks like thru the Porsche Program.. they have all this pre-req stuff.. you might need to do $13k of programs to get SCCA.. vs others you can get it in a 3 day course. .Hmmm. (like Mtn Climbing classes.. pay to play. w/ all this pre-req classes w/ the 'bucket check list folks' LOL)

.. Hmmm. after spending hr w/ all this.. I think a good path is. do Skipbarber, or Bandurant to get SCAA, then
maybe you can jump into the Porsche GT3 CUP Experience.. (I didn't see any pre-req for this.. and it says "This program is designed for experienced drivers that are ready for the next level. The emphasis is on track time with the GT3, 911 Turbo and GT3 Cup Car").. Ok. at the end of the day.. "GT3 CUP Expierence" - -who has done this.. report ASAP the 991 GT3 cars will be FIXED and ready to DRIVE next week1!!

-Skipbarber- 3day racing school/Laguna Seca 5/21/14 $4,500 (SCCA=Y)
-Bondurant GP Road Racing 2-4 day $4,399 SCAA=Y)
-Porsche Performance 2 Day High Performance .. $3,200 ( no SCCA??? hmm looks like yuppie picnic) $3,200
-Porsche Masters 2 Day Advanced $4000 -- no SCAA but like as it's Porsche, and req for Masters Plus
-- Hmm. I want to start in this one..SKIP others!! already have Expert MC road racing license.. maybe I'll cal them
-Porsche Masters Plus Race License $6000.. Finally SCCA..
-GT3 Cup Experience -- now we are talking..

911SLOW 03-09-2014 01:02 PM

I moved your post into a new thread.
The other one is kind of packed already. : )

Best
J

MJones 03-09-2014 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only class at Porsche Driving Experience that offers SCAA License is the Masters Plus Race License Course! I have done this course multiple times over the years and will again this April.

I have also done the "Cup Experience", and as the title says it is a taste of a "Cup Car". It is a good class but no SCAA. Must say that Cup Car is world apart from a regular 997/991. No Power steering or power brakes......

:bigbye:

MJones 03-09-2014 01:37 PM

So a couple of questions?
What is your experience?
If it is extensive you could submit it to the powers that be to maybe bypass some of the requirements.
Have you ever driven Barber? If not you should, it is a very challenging course with lots of blind entry corners.
Nothing worse than being on track with someone who doesn't know the line or where they should be going!

:thumbup:

LateBrake911 03-09-2014 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MJones (Post 11198121)
So a couple of questions?
What is your experience?
If it is extensive you could submit it to the powers that be to maybe bypass some of the requirements.
Have you ever driven Barber? If not you should, it is a very challenging course with lots of blind entry corners.
Nothing worse than being on track with someone who doesn't know the line or where they should be going!

:thumbup:

Thx.. good info.
-I'm new to auto's but road race motrotycles
-Never done Barber. mostly RA and BlackhawkFrams WI, and Autobahn joliot il
--Hmmm. got me thinking. Maybe I'll do more courses at Barber vs. Laguna before GT3 Cup School to get better at track..
-- e.g. Superbike School, and Barber Motor Sports SCAA, AT Barber vs. Seca then Cup.. --
--I'm happy doing multiple schools vs. just Porsche as I learn more.
-- like some guy on the 991 GT3 forum worried about GT3 delays cause he's older and just might get a Turbo.. LOL.. I'm older and want go get Professional instruction vs. friends. -- From my exp in MC racing, it's 100x better.. I wasted 2 years listen to know it all amaturess. - Then took, private class from AMA racer.. worth every penny.

sechsgang 03-09-2014 03:10 PM

FWIW, I did multiple skip barber courses then did PCA club racing and then briefly went into Grand-Am. I actually felt that the various schools of skip barber were a fantastic learning experience because in order to really learn "racing" you need to learn basic car dynamics first. Those F-Ford cars (and in particular the ones allowed in the advanced SB courses with the sequential) really allow you to hone your skills when it comes to driving on the "edge" because they bring the "edge" down to accessible levels. After you are done with that, I would say to do a few DE's in your GT3 and realize that it's a different way of hitting the track than your average "track" car...once you really get a feel for slow in/ to full throttle as early as possible fast out and some rotation, its probably worth going to the GT3 cup experience, where the cup will allow you to really see what the GT3 platform can really do. After that, you can go a lot of ways. IMHO, Id buy a 996 cup (yes, mine's for sale...) and do club racing for as long as you want...you'll get a hell of a lot of enjoyment and you aren't going to be able to go much faster on a racetrack without being in a formula car.

LateBrake911 03-09-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by sechsgang (Post 11198304)
FWIW, I did multiple skip barber courses then did PCA club racing and then briefly went into Grand-Am. I actually felt that the various schools of skip barber were a fantastic learning experience because in order to really learn "racing" you need to learn basic car dynamics first. Those F-Ford cars (and in particular the ones allowed in the advanced SB courses with the sequential) really allow you to hone your skills when it comes to driving on the "edge" because they bring the "edge" down to accessible levels. After you are done with that, I would say to do a few DE's in your GT3 and realize that it's a different way of hitting the track than your average "track" car...once you really get a feel for slow in/ to full throttle as early as possible fast out and some rotation, its probably worth going to the GT3 cup experience, where the cup will allow you to really see what the GT3 platform can really do. After that, you can go a lot of ways. IMHO, Id buy a 996 cup (yes, mine's for sale...) and do club racing for as long as you want...you'll get a hell of a lot of enjoyment and you aren't going to be able to go much faster on a racetrack without being in a formula car.

Excellent. makes more sense..

now with the feedback my back of the napkin plan is--

PCA- Chi auto cross school 4/17
CHIN RA Novice Track day w/ GT3
BHF (black hawk farms raceway WI) w/ PCA Chi 5/9
Skip Barber 3 day race school Seca 5/21..
RA PCA Chi 5/24 -- now we will know how I do.. and which group.. LOL..
RA PCA Milwaukee 8/1 --hopefully ready to rumble..

-- sometime after SCAA try Porsche Cup Experience.. and if I addicted it .. try and get 996 cup, if needed $ end up selling 991 gt3 after all Ha Ha.... LOL Who knows.. 'only thing constant is change' - esp for me

.. then in the background look for a 996 cup, as I know I'll need to race vs. just track days.. e.g. on MC I have to race vs. track days.. LOL.. no comparison for me..
. I have mc races all summer and a ASRA/CCS race at RA july 5th.. to at least I know that track well..

KMW 03-10-2014 12:38 AM

The GT3 Cup Experience has gone up in price, but they also have lots of new hardware:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...74544704_n.jpg

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...38732285_n.jpg

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...97512591_n.jpg