Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Killing time while I wait- Mods to the GT3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/803698-killing-time-while-i-wait-mods-to-the-gt3.html)

Ychaudhary 03-06-2014 03:34 PM

Killing time while I wait- Mods to the GT3

2 Attachment(s)
So I thought about switching cars, perhaps just getting a 458 and calling it a day with the GT3, but then I realized I love my car too much to just give up on her like that.

So now I'm being much more productive with my time and dreaming up the different mod's I want to do to my car. Most of which are going to be cosmetic of course. Here's what I got so far, keeping in mind my car is Black on black with black wheels. Thought I would put up some subpar pics up :D

1. Sharkwerks exhaust system- I feel coming from an M5 that the GT3 is loud enough but I always want more, this seems like one of the best solutions to go with.
2. Paint edge of the rim red- I think this would be a pretty cool contrast on the Red calipers. Still kinda up in the air about this one but I think it would work well.
3. Tint the car- Pretty much a given to go with 10-20 percent tint.
4. Full radar system- Most likely a passport 9500 that's integrated into the car.
5. Red Accents on the side of the wing- Also not sure about this one either, but I feel like it could tie the black and red theme in together.

Can't think of anything else right now but I'm thinking I wanna start the process while the car is laying there dead anyways.

Jamie140 03-06-2014 04:02 PM

When you say red trim, do you mean essentially a strip along the bottom parts of the car?

I think I saw a 997.2 rs on auto trader recently done like that and it looked pretty cool.

Ychaudhary 03-06-2014 04:39 PM

Yea something pretty much along those lines.... Probably not the exact same thing, but something pretty similar.

Jamie140 03-06-2014 04:41 PM

Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

mhh 03-06-2014 04:49 PM

I've asked the dealer if I can fit the same rear parking camera that the Turbos get - and have it connect to the PCM. No reply on this yet. Anyone else know if this is possible?

Passport and XPEL are done at least.

Ychaudhary 03-06-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie140 (Post 11191415)

Thanks for that link! Something along those lines for sure, I like the idea of the wing having the red accents on the side.

Mike in CA 03-06-2014 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mhh (Post 11191446)
I've asked the dealer if I can fit the same rear parking camera that the Turbos get - and have it connect to the PCM. No reply on this yet. Anyone else know if this is possible?

Don't know but would be interested in what you hear from your dealer.

SamFromTX 03-06-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie140 (Post 11191415)

This one must be defective. I don't see paddles behind the steering wheel and there is a strange not very lever like device between the seats. I also think it has two brake pedals or something.

ScottKelly911 03-06-2014 05:56 PM

I think the GT3 graphics that look like the GT3RS.1 done in red would look good. Also I think the Porsche script/stripe on the door/front bumper from the Cayman R in Red would look fantastic and give a nice contrast. If you do either of those, I'd definitely do the sides of your rear spoiler to tie it all together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps22bd05f0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psb13eadaa.jpg

Serge944 03-06-2014 06:20 PM

This is a tough one. I don't know how much there is to change to make the car better. You would only be making it different. And that's ok as long as you know that going into it. :D

As far as the exhaust, going to a higher flowing catalytic converter will give you a bit more volume and some extra power too. I never liked the center bypass whether it comes from Northern or Southern California.

IvanBurns 03-06-2014 07:14 PM

I have a 991 GT3 that I took delivery of and drove in Germany in January. It is now being held at the port of entry in Rhode Island.

Since this will be a serious track car for me, the first thing that I will do is install a roll bar, Recaro seats, and six point harnesses. And get a track alignment.

My GT3 is white, which lends itself to a wide variety of stripe schemes. I've been wondering though - what permission do you need, if any, if you want to inscribe the words "Porsche" or "GT3" on your car? Maybe we can get away with putting "Porsche" on our cars, but what about other manufacturers' copyrights such as "Mobile 1". Do we need permission?

One reason that I raise this issue is because my independent mechanic once had a business logo that included a silhouette outline of a 911. Porsche asked him to change his logo because they thought that he was violating their copyright. They explained that if they didn't defend their copyright, then they would lose the copyright. So he complied.

So - what do you guys think? If you are a lawyer, what do you think?

SamFromTX 03-06-2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mhh (Post 11191446)

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 11191458)
Don't know but would be interested in what you hear from your dealer.

I texted my mechanic and he said he does not do it but he knows someone who does. Waiting to hear back if they would do that while the car is in captivity. I doubt.

Ychaudhary 03-06-2014 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by IvanBurns (Post 11191849)
I have a 991 GT3 that I took delivery of and drove in Germany in January. It is now being held at the port of entry in Rhode Island.

Since this will be a serious track car for me, the first thing that I will do is install a roll bar, Recaro seats, and six point harnesses. And get a track alignment.

My GT3 is white, which lends itself to a wide variety of stripe schemes. I've been wondering though - what permission do you need, if any, if you want to inscribe the words "Porsche" or "GT3" on your car? Maybe we can get away with putting "Porsche" on our cars, but what about other manufacturers' copyrights such as "Mobile 1". Do we need permission?

One reason that I raise this issue is because my independent mechanic once had a business logo that included a silhouette outline of a 911. Porsche asked him to change his logo because they thought that he was violating their copyright. They explained that if they didn't defend their copyright, then they would lose the copyright. So he complied.

So - what do you guys think? If you are a lawyer, what do you think?

I can't really imagine someone being that picky that they would get upset about any sort of writing on a car unless of course you are using a blatant company such as "Mobil 1" without permission. From a legal standpoint an argument can be made that it is simply a silhouette of a car, of course I don't have all the facts but I'm pretty sure that's an argument that oould be won especially if the counterargument is as weak as Porsche, a worldwide brand, will lose there copyright due to a silhouette on the side of the car. Just my thoughts.

Mike in CA 03-06-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by SamFromTX (Post 11191860)
I texted my mechanic and he said he does not do it but he knows someone who does. Waiting to hear back if they would do that while the car is in captivity. I doubt.

Sam, I don't suppose you got so far as to ask about $$$ ?

IvanBurns 03-06-2014 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ychaudhary (Post 11191872)
I can't really imagine someone being that picky that they would get upset about any sort of writing on a car unless of course you are using a blatant company such as "Mobil 1" without permission. From a legal standpoint an argument can be made that it is simply a silhouette of a car, of course I don't have all the facts but I'm pretty sure that's an argument that oould be won especially if the counterargument is as weak as Porsche, a worldwide brand, will lose there copyright due to a silhouette on the side of the car. Just my thoughts.

It seems reasonable to me that corporations like Porsche would be less sensitive about the use of their name or copyrights on a car by an individual as opposed to such use by a commercial enterprise. I don't know this for sure, though.