Sponsored by:

Killing time while I wait- Mods to the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sam, I don't suppose you got so far as to ask about $$$ ?
I called the parts dept to inquire. Now they say it can not be done because the wiring harness is different. The main guy wasn't there so I'll try again later. I also left a message with the shop that installs my detectors as they do all sorts of things like that. I'll post once I have a firm answer.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
I have a 991 GT3 that I took delivery of and drove in Germany in January. It is now being held at the port of entry in Rhode Island.

Since this will be a serious track car for me, the first thing that I will do is install a roll bar, Recaro seats, and six point harnesses. And get a track alignment.

My GT3 is white, which lends itself to a wide variety of stripe schemes. I've been wondering though - what permission do you need, if any, if you want to inscribe the words "Porsche" or "GT3" on your car? Maybe we can get away with putting "Porsche" on our cars, but what about other manufacturers' copyrights such as "Mobile 1". Do we need permission?

One reason that I raise this issue is because my independent mechanic once had a business logo that included a silhouette outline of a 911. Porsche asked him to change his logo because they thought that he was violating their copyright. They explained that if they didn't defend their copyright, then they would lose the copyright. So he complied.

So - what do you guys think? If you are a lawyer, what do you think?
If it is for your personal use, then you can do whatever striping or stickers you would like. If however, your car is being used to promote a business or being used for monetary gain through advertisements, then there could be legal ramifications. But if it's just to use in your own personal time or on a trackday, you will have no issues at all. It's no different than buying a "Mobil 1" sticker at Pep Boys and putting it on your vehicle. The company who used the 911 silhouette infringed upon a copyright because it was using the famous silhouette image of a 911 as a logo of their business which equates to being a recognizable image to the manufacturer and could be misinterpreted as an agent/agency of the Porsche factory. Thus profiting from the any perceived affiliation to the factory. Porsche is probably the strictest car manufacturer when it comes to licensing of their products, even more so than Ferrari or Lamborghini!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a FSS for sure...
Old 03-07-2014, 01:31 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I texted my mechanic and he said he does not do it but he knows someone who does. Waiting to hear back if they would do that while the car is in captivity. I doubt.
My service manager isn't sure about a genuine solution but would be happy to use an aftermarket solution from an installer he trusts including one of these. Anyway, there's no rush to make a decision - sadly.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Killing time while I wait- Mods to the GT3