Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Driving Enjoyment

 
Old 03-06-2014, 11:12 AM
  #1  
sk1808
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Default 991 GT3 Driving Enjoyment

Porsche go on to say how the 991 GT3 is all about lap and track times now - if thats the case, why not buy a TT which as I understand is already faster and on equal tyres should eat a gt3 for breakfast

So Porsche say, ah yes, but the gt3 offers the driving enthusiast a purity to the drive, so buy the gt3 for track use and TT for daily - again, if thats the case and your buying it for the "purity" how can you possibly not buy a 997 with a manual box?

No im not having a go at the 991 with pdk and electric steering etc, I have one on order - Just a quick rant while waiting for porsche to update us


991 GT3 Driving Enjoyment

My main concern is this: is the 991 GT3 exciting enough driving your favourite b-roads without going speeds of warp 7+ (the 997 defiantly was on the test drive I did)
sk1808 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
  #2  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 27,038
Default

No 6 speed in TT either, not even PDK-S.
GT3 has become a jack of all trades and one gigantic market contradiction bull**** disaster story.
TRAKCAR is online now  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:17 AM
  #3  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,620
Default

Right now, a new Ford Taurus has more driving enjoyment because...YOU CAN DRIVE IT.
sechsgang is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
  #4  
sk1808
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Default

or is the TT the jack of all trades car now
sk1808 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 PM
  #5  
Serge944
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Serge944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: California
Posts: 7,969
Default

You can buy a Carrera S with a manual transmission. It's a fantastic car.
Serge944 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 12:07 PM
  #6  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 27,038
Default

Originally Posted by sk1808 View Post
or is the TT the jack of all trades car now
Always been

Originally Posted by Serge944 View Post
You can buy a Carrera S with a manual transmission. It's a fantastic car.
I've been looking. There are some nice ones for sale in the '80's, cheaper than most 997 GT3's and maybe more fun than a 991GT3..
TRAKCAR is online now  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
  #7  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by sk1808 View Post
991 GT3 Driving Enjoyment

My main concern is this: is the 991 GT3 exciting enough driving your favourite b-roads without going speeds of warp 7+ (the 997 defiantly was on the test drive I did)
I wish I had more than a thousand miles on the clock to validate this, but the answer so far is unequivocally YES. Due respect, but no opinion about whether it's fun or not is very meaningful until you've driven the car.

If you don't believe me, here are 3 words: Watch Macca's Vids......
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 03:33 PM
  #8  
sk1808
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Default

Carreras more fun than a gt3 ?? I refuse to believe so, pdk or not

Can't find any videos from macca - got any links?
sk1808 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 03:58 PM
  #9  
sunnyr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sunnyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,204
Default

Originally Posted by sk1808 View Post
Porsche go on to say how the 991 GT3 is all about lap and track times now - if thats the case, why not buy a TT which as I understand is already faster and on equal tyres should eat a gt3 for breakfast

So Porsche say, ah yes, but the gt3 offers the driving enthusiast a purity to the drive, so buy the gt3 for track use and TT for daily - again, if thats the case and your buying it for the "purity" how can you possibly not buy a 997 with a manual box?
That is the dilemma that all sports car makers face now and will face even more so in the future. To make a car faster they have to remove the flawed human from the equation as much as possible and replace his/her functions with better tech. Every new generation of a car moves even more in that direction. And in not so in distant future you will have self driving cars that will be way faster than any human driver can pilot it. Of course you will still have people defending it claiming it is 'blah' secs faster.
sunnyr is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM
  #10  
vf430
User
 
vf430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Posts: 376
Default

This maybe the last gen of Gt3 with NA engine , what will happen to GT2 and TT market when Gt3 goes turbo ? Ferrari already going turbo with California , possibly next 458. Just wondering what will be the relevance of next Gt3.

Assumption here is they are maxed out in engine size and emissions etc will not allow to go bigger NA motor.
vf430 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 PM
  #11  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,865
Default

Originally Posted by sk1808 View Post
Carreras more fun than a gt3 ?? I refuse to believe so, pdk or not

Can't find any videos from macca - got any links?
Go to the Stop Sale thread (at the very top of the forum) page 83, post 1245....
Mike in CA is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 PM
  #12  
0Q991
Super User
 
0Q991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,708
Default

Haha. "Post 1245." Just nuts how long that thread is now...right PAG?! You listening?! Give us answers and give us our cars!!!
0Q991 is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
  #13  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by 0Q991 View Post
Haha. "Post 1245." Just nuts how long that thread is now...right PAG?! You listening?! Give us answers and give us our cars!!!
Soon enough, that thread will have 100K views!!
SamFromTX is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM
  #14  
pissedpuppy
Super User
 
pissedpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 4,070
Default

Originally Posted by Serge944 View Post
You can buy a Carrera S with a manual transmission. It's a fantastic car.
but for the god awful sunroof
pissedpuppy is offline  
Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 PM
  #15  
SamFromTX
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SamFromTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by vf430 View Post
This maybe the last gen of Gt3 with NA engine , what will happen to GT2 and TT market when Gt3 goes turbo ? Ferrari already going turbo with California , possibly next 458. Just wondering what will be the relevance of next Gt3.

Assumption here is they are maxed out in engine size and emissions etc will not allow to go bigger NA motor.
The 2014 F1 cars will have 1.6 L turbocharged engines and a much better KERS system that can boost hp more than double the earlier system and for longer. I wonder if the GT3 will become a hybrid with KERS rather than become turbocharged.
SamFromTX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Driving Enjoyment


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: