Sponsored by:

Anyone switching to Turbo S after issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Don't forget a preowned mp4 12c. Those are in the 170-185s asking wise. Worth about 150-160 unfortunately but its a hell of a car.
I think the problem of 458 or mp4-12c is that:
1. the mileage is too expensive if I use as a daily drive. a 458 or mp4-12c with 50,000 miles will be very hard to sell. But on a GT3 or TTS, 50,000 is still ok.
2. I feel it's weird to drive a 458 to buy a coffee every day, but no problem with a 911.
Please correct me if I am wrong
Old 03-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Agree that a slightly used MP4 is probably the best 'semi equivalent' car out there from a value and overall performance envelope perspective.

mikemiaos, how many guys put 50k miles on the GT3 or TTS? Not many and they aren't worth much at that mileage either % wise. I would think an MP4 that already took a huge hit depreciation wise won't have that much more of a brutal curve later in it's life especially as they prove out to be solid cars. I'm sure Ron Dennis will ensure that is the case from a quality, durability, test of time standpoint.

Finally, on the Vette front, the C7 Z06 will be the track performance bargain of the decade. Able to run with most anything under $750k and it'll probably hold up pretty well. Those of you who've had bad experiences with the Vette, I understand, but I've had only good experiences with my 3 Vettes, including my current one. Not perfect, but they hold up well, no rattles or squeaks with my '10 still after 3 very hard years and I have a great SA at a good local dealership. Some good liquor and buying them lunch every now and then goes a LONG way on getting top notch service and warranty work. I'm sure that helps at P-car dealers too.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemiaos
I think the problem of 458 or mp4-12c is that:
1. the mileage is too expensive if I use as a daily drive. a 458 or mp4-12c with 50,000 miles will be very hard to sell. But on a GT3 or TTS, 50,000 is still ok.
2. I feel it's weird to drive a 458 to buy a coffee every day, but no problem with a 911.
Please correct me if I am wrong
All modern ferraris and the 12c are decent for dd as long as you don't mind attention, mostly positive. From a driving point of view they are easy.

Yes, you can sell them with high mileage, you will just get marginally less than what you would with a low mileage car. So really not worth garaging them, life is too short.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:10 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am personnally very interested in the upcoming C7 Z06/Z07. It will undoubtly be very quick. This will be a very sweet car. The Z07 with effective aerodynamics will be very quick around any track. I agree that it will be the performance bargain car of this decade.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:20 PM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quikag
Agree that a slightly used MP4 is probably the best 'semi equivalent' car out there from a value and overall performance envelope perspective.

mikemiaos, how many guys put 50k miles on the GT3 or TTS? Not many and they aren't worth much at that mileage either % wise. I would think an MP4 that already took a huge hit depreciation wise won't have that much more of a brutal curve later in it's life especially as they prove out to be solid cars. I'm sure Ron Dennis will ensure that is the case from a quality, durability, test of time standpoint.

Finally, on the Vette front, the C7 Z06 will be the track performance bargain of the decade. Able to run with most anything under $750k and it'll probably hold up pretty well. Those of you who've had bad experiences with the Vette, I understand, but I've had only good experiences with my 3 Vettes, including my current one. Not perfect, but they hold up well, no rattles or squeaks with my '10 still after 3 very hard years and I have a great SA at a good local dealership. Some good liquor and buying them lunch every now and then goes a LONG way on getting top notch service and warranty work. I'm sure that helps at P-car dealers too.
Originally Posted by aamersa
All modern ferraris and the 12c are decent for dd as long as you don't mind attention, mostly positive. From a driving point of view they are easy.

Yes, you can sell them with high mileage, you will just get marginally less than what you would with a low mileage car. So really not worth garaging them, life is too short.
Thanks for correcting me, I guess I am wrong regarding the resale of high mileage 458 or 12c... then my concern is the attention. I am 27 and just started being able to afford these cars, I really don't want the "attention" from people of driving a Ferrari or McLaren, maybe I will be ok when I am older
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i really wanted to buy C6 1.5 years ago. but the dealers are really catered to .... brawn than brain ppl. i cannot bear talking to them more than 2 min. if they hired someone who can communicate, i would have bought several now.

scud came into my crosshair. but i know nothing about italians. i am too old to learn new tricks. been on f chat for long time. but they are really uptight. i need to buy vaseline first. though some of my good friends are in ferrari's but they seem to be the exception.

bmw.. well when they call themself porsche or ferrari, i will reconsider.

so what's next? just walk on track instead of driving, until the issues on 991 are resolved... my allocation is really far away so not too worried yet.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Mooty, you definitely have to search around a bit to find a good Chevy dealer and good sales people, service advisors, etc. But a little research, a little bribing, and a little time and you can get plugged in pretty good. I work with Classic Chevy in Grapevine, TX, the highest volume Chevy dealer in the country several years running. They run a good, efficient operation there and they have some good long-term people in the sales and service departments. Again, they aren't perfect, but they try hard and I take care of them and they take care of me.

I've spent some time in higher-end dealerships too, including getting my Vette fluids flushed at Boardwalk Ferrari in Plano, TX and they were professional and courteous. I liked their free espresso bar too. That said, even Classic has a little automatic cappucino/espresso maker in their waiting area which I thought was nice.

Anyway, also been to a BMW and Mercedes dealer in DFW and the sales guys were asses. They acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me the time of day and I would be lucky if they permitted me to buy a car there. I've never understood arrogant car sales and service people. They act like they own the dealership or something. Long story, not as long, you can find mouth breathers at foreign dealers almost as easy as domestic dealers in my experience. YMMV.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Since this fiasco began I have been considering alternatives. But at the end of the day, I found the GT3 the only car that would serve the purpose I want it for. Reasonably priced, track worthy, reliable ( I know, I know) durable and comfortable for DD.

There really isn't anything out there will can match the 991GT3.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an August slot on a GT3. The longer the current GT3 issue goes unresolved the more I am having second thoughts. Such a pause in announcing the problem suggests it may not be a simple fix. I am concerned about the impact on the GT3's resale value, one of the reasons I was attracted to it to begin with.

I am alternately considering a C4S, my choice prior to the GT3.
I prefer to stay naturally aspirated, and AWD in Iowa and Colorado are pluses.
With the .2 version C4S scheduled for next spring, it means waiting yet again another year.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Mooty, you definitely have to search around a bit to find a good Chevy dealer and good sales people, service advisors, etc. But a little research, a little bribing, and a little time and you can get plugged in pretty good. I work with Classic Chevy in Grapevine, TX, the highest volume Chevy dealer in the country several years running. They run a good, efficient operation there and they have some good long-term people in the sales and service departments. Again, they aren't perfect, but they try hard and I take care of them and they take care of me.

I've spent some time in higher-end dealerships too, including getting my Vette fluids flushed at Boardwalk Ferrari in Plano, TX and they were professional and courteous. I liked their free espresso bar too. That said, even Classic has a little automatic cappucino/espresso maker in their waiting area which I thought was nice.

Anyway, also been to a BMW and Mercedes dealer in DFW and the sales guys were asses. They acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me the time of day and I would be lucky if they permitted me to buy a car there. I've never understood arrogant car sales and service people. They act like they own the dealership or something. Long story, not as long, you can find mouth breathers at foreign dealers almost as easy as domestic dealers in my experience. YMMV.
I live near them and went there (with my 458) to place a deposit on the new Z06. They took my information and said they'd get back to me. I said I'd like to speak to someone who can put me on the list for one and I tried to give them money. Nothing. The salesman then said, "by the way, that's a nice Lamborghini." I said, "actually it's a Ferrari." I placed a deposit at another dealer in another state. Hope Classic can come through since they are close, the service sucked.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i really wanted to buy C6 1.5 years ago. but the dealers are really catered to .... brawn than brain ppl. i cannot bear talking to them more than 2 min. if they hired someone who can communicate, i would have bought several now.

scud came into my crosshair. but i know nothing about italians. i am too old to learn new tricks. been on f chat for long time. but they are really uptight. i need to buy vaseline first. though some of my good friends are in ferrari's but they seem to be the exception.

bmw.. well when they call themself porsche or ferrari, i will reconsider.

so what's next? just walk on track instead of driving, until the issues on 991 are resolved... my allocation is really far away so not too worried yet.
So right about the "uptight" comment.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
So right about the "uptight" comment.

+1

I don't even own a Porsche polo shirt.

Every Ferrari guy owns a few Ferrari polo's and a set of nice, crisp driving gloves.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
+1

I don't even own a Porsche polo shirt.

Every Ferrari guy owns a few Ferrari polo's and a set of nice, crisp driving gloves.

...you don't "know" me per-se...but I didn't own one piece of Ferrari swag when I had my 599...the big ***** like thing with the big engine did everything it needed to on its own LOL.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

howabout one of the earlier model gt3's?
6.2, 7.1, 7.2, rs?
doesn't do the job at hand?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
howabout one of the earlier model gt3's?
6.2, 7.1, 7.2, rs?
doesn't do the job at hand?
Not to start an argument but I have no interest in a manual transmission. Drove them for years. Time marches on.

Quick Reply: Anyone switching to Turbo S after issue