Sponsored by:

other problems with the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:41 AM
ayousef
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default other problems with the GT3

again not trying to start a war but me and a friend of mine both booked out GT3's on the same day and he cancelled his order today due to the fire issue which caused delays and because he "heard" GT3 owners say that the car has too many issues, and is persuading me to cancel my GT3 order as well.

What are the other problems with the car other than the whole fire thing and LACK of a response from Porsche? This is my first 911 and might already be the last one, im not too happy about this to say the least.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Short answer, don't buy a car the first year it is out. The GT3 is another proof of that. Especially this year as they made numerous changes to the car over the previous generation. Porsche always tests the heck out of their cars but something went wrong along the way for sure.

It will be perfect next year. Porsche will make sure of that.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 PM
ayousef
Advanced

I would have hoped they released the RS in Geneva but they didn't, that way I would have been the first on the list and at the same time gotten rid of the GT3 which is starting to freak me out. I have enough modified cars that break down I wanted something reliable, maybe I have to look elsewhere unfortunately.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
I would have hoped they released the RS in Geneva but they didn't, that way I would have been the first on the list and at the same time gotten rid of the GT3 which is starting to freak me out. I have enough modified cars that break down I wanted something reliable, maybe I have to look elsewhere unfortunately.
whatever problems the GT3 has, the RS is likely to have the same problems
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
whatever problems the GT3 has, the RS is likely to have the same problems
Well since the introduction of the RS would be on the second year for the GT3, youd think they would rectify all the issues? That is however assuming the GT3 uses the same 3.8l motor and not a 4.0 or have a higher rev-limiter and so on.

Patience is killing me, no word from Porsche is pissing me off to be honest I might get a completely different car something like a 2015 Audi S8 until the second production year of the Corvette C7 Z06 with Z07 package
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

again not trying to start a war but me and a friend of mine both booked out GT3's on the same day and he cancelled his order today due to the fire issue which caused delays and because he "heard" GT3 owners say that the car has too many issues, and is persuading me to cancel my GT3 order as well.

What are the other problems with the car other than the whole fire thing and LACK of a response from Porsche? This is my first 911 and might already be the last one, im not too happy about this to say the least.
Beside the current problem, a limited range of cars had a faulty thermostat which was replaced. There was talk of a bad bracket for an oil line, also limited to a few cars. What other issues has your friend "heard" about?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Well since the introduction of the RS would be on the second year for the GT3, youd think they would rectify all the issues? That is however assuming the GT3 uses the same 3.8l motor and not a 4.0 or have a higher rev-limiter and so on.
agreed, but 1st they have to resolve the current issue, *and* even if the RS engine is a larger capacity (doubt it) that would assume that the current engine issue is somehow related to that (unlikely), the vast majority of the engine components and architecture will be the same

Patience is killing me, no word from Porsche is pissing me off to be honest I might get a completely different car something like a 2015 Audi S8 until the second production year of the Corvette C7 Z06 with Z07 package
I think you guys need to be patient here, these fires occurred in 2 cars out of a population of how many (1000?) that's like a 0.1% failure rate. They have to carry out a forensic analysis of the two cars that burned, postulate the various failure modes that may have resulted in the fire, then attempt to replicate/(in)validate those postulates, then complete the root cause analysis not only identifying the actual failure mode, but also what caused the failure, was it design, material/manufacturing problems, assembly issues, etc

This all takes time and painstaking engineering methodologies, its analogous to the sort of task undertaken after a plane crashes ... so dont expect this to happen overnight. Porsche's (and your) #1 concern should be that the issue is correctly identified and resolved.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
ayousef
Advanced

2 fires wont freak me out I was told 7 and read 5 in more than one online article not sure whats right and whats not?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

2 fires wont freak me out I was told 7 and rear 5 in more than one online article not sure whats right and whats not?
I believe the correct # is 2 ...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM
ayousef
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Beside the current problem, a limited range of cars had a faulty thermostat which was replaced. There was talk of a bad bracket for an oil line, also limited to a few cars. What other issues has your friend "heard" about?
My car is the same color as yours and looking at your display picture pisses me off at the moment ill ask the guy what issues he heard of tomorrow
Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

My car is the same color as yours and looking at your display picture pisses me off at the moment ill ask the guy what issues he heard of tomorrow
The only difference is where they are parked ... be patient, this will be resolved and you will get your car... think yourself lucky that you were able to get one in the 1st place - there is more demand than supply!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
ayousef
Advanced

The only difference is where they are parked ... be patient, this will be resolved and you will get your car... think yourself lucky that you were able to get one in the 1st place - there is more demand than supply!
When I ordered the car at the very end of November there were 32 on order at the Dubai dealership only, and even much more now. Porsche gives the middle east a huge allocation of cars due to big demand. Plus after I heard the noise that thing makes with the Sharkwerks rear muffler delete I was intoxicated, I guess I need a chill pill.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I believe the correct # is 2 ...
Yes that's right, one in Italy and one in Switzerland.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

When I ordered the car at the very end of November there were 32 on order at the Dubai dealership only, and even much more now. Porsche gives the middle east a huge allocation of cars due to big demand. Plus after I heard the noise that thing makes with the Sharkwerks rear muffler delete I was intoxicated, I guess I need a chill pill.
funny you should say that, I never planned to get a 997.1 GT3 and replace my 996.2 car until I heard the exhaust note of the car when I got the opportunity
to attend a back-to-back test of the two cars at Sears Point many years ago...

The new car (with sharkwerks) sounds like a racecar ... it is truly intoxicating ...

I know it must be difficult to be patient, if I were you I would also be desperate to get my new car and drive it ... my advice, be patient it will be worth it in the end ... go twist your dealers arm to give you a C2S loaner and go trash that for a while!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yes that's right, one in Italy and one in Switzerland.
thats what I thought!

Quick Reply: other problems with the GT3