Sponsored by:

other problems with the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
That's actually a huge number for catastrophic destruction and about equal to what Toyota was facing in the 'stuck accelerator' recall. The technical term for the two that caught fire is 'infant mortality'. And 2/800 or so is large. That would stop any production line I've been associated with and might get people fired.
whatever...
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think you guys need to be patient here, these fires occurred in 2 cars out of a population of how many (1000?) that's like a 0.1% failure rate. They have to carry out a forensic analysis of the two cars that burned, postulate the various failure modes that may have resulted in the fire, then attempt to replicate/(in)validate those postulates, then complete the root cause analysis not only identifying the actual failure mode, but also what caused the failure, was it design, material/manufacturing problems, assembly issues, etc

This all takes time and painstaking engineering methodologies, its analogous to the sort of task undertaken after a plane crashes ... so dont expect this to happen overnight. Porsche's (and your) #1 concern should be that the issue is correctly identified and resolved.
^^ This.

+1
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

strange that nobody posted pictures of the 2nd car that supposedly caught fire. Either way Porsche has identified two cars caught fire.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
strange that nobody posted pictures of the 2nd car that supposedly caught fire. Either way Porsche has identified two cars caught fire.
I was thinking the same thing earlier. I guess Italians don't use camera phones???
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snabbgt3

GT3 been in garage since "do not drive" edict ... started engine 2 days ago in garage/driveway.
Both the "Reduced engine performance ... possible to drive on" and "Fault engine control ... possible to drive on" warnings came up on the dash.
These did not go away with restart. Parked the car. Depressing..

Originally Posted by A432
Was also curious what this was from the stop sale thread.
Doesn't sound like the other main issue being discussed.

Rennlisters, please note:
In reference to coolant regulator/thermostat recall campaign, statement from my dealer:
"Looks like 173 vehicles are involved. I will have service check your VIN tomorrow. This campaign is scope specific to the VIN. To quote Porsche "There is a possibility that coolant regulators that do not meet the required specifications may have been installed on the affected vehicles over a limited time period." "

Indeed, within 48 hours (on Feb 28, 2014) my GT3 was identified as one of these 173. My GT3 was delivered 01/07/2014.

My own comments:

All GT3 owners should inquire with their dealers if their delivered GT3 is one of these 173 vehicles.

Also please note the following concerning the RWS subsystem and cam sensors:
1. RWS update - as per PAG bulletin this should be addressed at time of coolant regulator recall ... apparently not all of the GT3s being involved in this coolant regulator campaign needs the RWS control module update. I understand the VIN can be checked to see if your vehicle needs RWS update.
2. cam sensors (4) - some U.S. GT3s have had them replaced, apparently due to supplier quality/spec issue ... please check if your GT3 needs this, by checking VIN. A bulletin by PAG should be available.

Below photo is my car being flatbedded to dealer today, in snowy PA, after noting two dash warnings (see top of post) ... persistent dash warnings making me uncomfortable keeping vehicle in garage. Both warnings again on dash immediately on starting car today, when driving up onto ramp. I've only had 98 octane EtOH-free gas in this car ... never ethanol, so shouldn't be the gas.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly can't wait to get the car. These issues will be fixed and long gone from memory. Just watch some of the video reviews recently posted to remind you of why you chose this car.

I do feel for all you guys that already have your cars though. It will all be resolved soon.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 AM
snabbgt3
Racer

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I honestly can't wait to get the car. These issues will be fixed and long gone from memory. Just watch some of the video reviews recently posted to remind you of why you chose this car.

I do feel for all you guys that already have your cars though. It will all be resolved soon.
Thx, it wears a bit on the passion we have had for this car. A loaner 911 would be great to take away some of the sting this is causing ... will see if my dealer can deliver. I think dealers are caught in the middle, trying to keep their hard won customers loyal and quelling the angst we feel. In my profession outcome is king, but communication is a close second ... it gets drummed into us constantly ... PAG would help itself if more effort was spent at improving customer perception of the process ... politicians and big business (to which PAG belongs) do so routinely. It is money well spent, fincancially smart.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
That's actually a huge number for catastrophic destruction and about equal to what Toyota was facing in the 'stuck accelerator' recall. The technical term for the two that caught fire is 'infant mortality'. And 2/800 or so is large. That would stop any production line I've been associated with and might get people fired.
I don't know if 2 failures for 800 cars is large. But I think that 2 failures on 800 cars that have just been delivered and barely driven is certainly enough to raise a big red flag... or two.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wanna add some food for thought. The 991 GT3 was designed prior to VW's take-over of Porsche. No doubt at all that the design of the car is amazing. However, the production of the car came well after VW took over the helm. I have to wonder if the powers that be (bean counters) insisted on inferior quality materials or material sources with less stringent tolerances aka quality control. Porsche has built it's branding on the reputation of reliable supercar for the gentleman/woman sports car aficionado. Porsche also relies heavily and prides itself on the loyalty of repeat customers. I'm absolutely positive that Porsche will get to the root of the problem, sooner rather than later, but the GT3 has seemingly brought interest from many people who have never owned a Porsche before, just like the OP of this thread. I really hope this comes to a good positive resolution. I will have to say, I'd LOVE to be on the allocation list for a 991 GT3RS because with the hits the GT3's reputation is taking, you can be damn sure that the RS when introduced will be over engineered so as not to have ANY of these kinds of issues that the GT3 is currently seeing, perceived or otherwise. To those of you who are first time Porsche buyers, if you have a friend or know someone who has an earlier GT3 or RS such as a 996, 997.1 or 997.2, ask them for a ride and their impressions of the duration of their ownership of their cars. Then, you will realize that while this waiting game may be an annoyance hedging on agitating, once the announcement is finally made from the factory and the remedies are given, you will be quite happy with the outcome and your choice to sit behind the wheel of a Porsche GT3. Best of luck to all!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Meh, I'm just kind of meloncholy about this car now. Which is a real shame because it's supposed to be exciting to get a new car.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Agree completely with that emotion ..., $156,000 and we feel down?!? PAG, give us something ...,
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
agreed, but 1st they have to resolve the current issue, *and* even if the RS engine is a larger capacity (doubt it)

I think you guys need to be patient here, these fires occurred in 2 cars out of a population of how many (1000?) that's like a 0.1% failure rate. They have to carry out a forensic analysis of the two cars that burned, postulate the various failure modes that may have resulted in the fire, then attempt to replicate/(in)validate those postulates, then complete the root cause analysis not only identifying the actual failure mode, but also what caused the failure, was it design, material/manufacturing problems, assembly issues, etc

This all takes time and painstaking engineering methodologies, its analogous to the sort of task undertaken after a plane crashes ... so dont expect this to happen overnight. Porsche's (and your) #1 concern should be that the issue is correctly identified and resolved.
It's a 4.0 and orange, how many times to I have to make it up for you to accept that.

Stop being so logical and reasonable. No place for that on these pages.
Boring.

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
Agree completely with that emotion ..., $156,000 and we feel down?!? PAG, give us something ...,
$156k? Did you cover the entire interior in whale ***** leather?
Geez, you got a free loaner you can track to hearts content. Had I know I would have gotten the GT3 instead of the RS. Fingers crossed they explode into ***** of fire as well....
Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It's a 4.0 and orange, how many times to I have to make it up for you to accept that.

Stop being so logical and reasonable. No place for that on these pages.
Boring.

$156k? Did you cover the entire interior in whale ***** leather?
Geez, you got a free loaner you can track to hearts content. Had I know I would have gotten the GT3 instead of the RS. Fingers crossed they explode into ***** of fire as well....
LOL thats not bad...mine was 164...and its not whale *****, its TIGER DONG. Duh dude.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
LOL thats not bad...mine was 164...and its not whale *****, its TIGER DONG. Duh dude.
Ah, yes the chicks dig the TIGER DONG.. That's worth every penny, did you get it in the Porsche exclusive 4.0 menstrual red like me?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: other problems with the GT3