Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs. Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
CarObsessed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 vs. Ferrari 430 Scuderia

I am waiting for my GT3 to be built and now with idle hands I'm wondering if I should get the 430 Scuderia instead. I've never owned a GT3 or a Ferrari of any sort before. I see many "Scud"s for just under 180k, so it's not much more expensive than the GT3 (my build came up to just under 150k).

Pro-Scud argument - Any Ferrari's got to be special and this one most definitely is. I love the fact that it's track focused and a bit of a purist's car (light weight, less sound deadening, more raw?). I also love the race/track car things like LED rpm/shift indicators and 4-point seat belts/harnesses.

Con-Scud argument - Expensive to maintain in general and warranty would've expired by now for most examples. Too loud? I live in Northern California and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca which I love and do half my trackdays in has a 90db limit. I am not sure a Scud can be "managed" under this.

Pro-GT3 argument - Cheaper, better residual value?. Warranty. Not as flashy or "look-at-me" like the Scud.

Con-GT3 argument - compared to the Scud, not enough of a race-car vibe.

I'd love to hear what you guys here think generally.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Just FYI, there is no way in hell a totally stock gt3 will pass 90db sound. They don't even pass 92 dB.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

I was thinking about the same thing. The scud will be more "raw" and special every time you drive it, but the 991 gt3 is a better "car"...I will say Ferrari's are amazing when it comes to feeling excited every time you turn the key...I still miss my 599 more than any other car I've had...and it did most things worse than everything else Ive had. But something is just intoxicating about them...
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM
ARSGT3
Instructor

Not a big ferrari guy, but the scud is pretty neat. just can't justify paying more for a obsolete 2008 machine with a single clutch gearbox and slower in all aspects. I know the GT3 ordeal is tough to grasp but I am sticking with my choice and certain I will be rewarded at delivery with this awesome machine. to each his own though
Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 PM
CarObsessed
Intermediate

Oh! I stood by while a GT3 was started (got lucky to see a delivery when I was dropping my C2S off for service) and it didn't sound loud at all.

It's still not good to hear, but I would still think there is more chance of "managing" the GT3 in MRLS than the Scud. An exhaust-pipe contraption or just cruise in the sound check sections at low RPM perhaps... my friend's 458 was flagged for 96db and he was shifting at 6k RPM, so I'd imagine the Scud would be just as bad if not worse.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:48 PM
CarObsessed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ARSGT3
just can't justify paying more for a obsolete 2008 machine with a single clutch gearbox and slower in all aspects.
I can understand that. I'll probably feel the same when I park it next to my friend's 458 though I'll also know it cost a 100k more :-). The Scud's single clutch is quite fast - 65ms when pushed hard. So I am not sure I will be able to feel a perceptible difference between that and the PDK-S on track. Would it be slower? It has a little more power, lower weight and of course comparable handling...But anyway, I probably wouldn't mind even if it was slower (same for the GT3 too).

Originally Posted by ARSGT3
I know the GT3 ordeal is tough to grasp but I am sticking with my choice and certain I will be rewarded at delivery with this awesome machine. to each his own though
Yeah, I am tense and have negative thoughts like many others here, but I do think Porsche will fix it eventually and satisfactorily. It's just that I have other life plans this year and 3-4 months in probably what would be my most active year of trackdays is a substantial time period.

Nice to know your perspective.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed. Interested in knowledgeable input on this topic. I've driven a 430 and was not a fan. Sounds like scud is a substantial step on though. In the same vein, I've driven a 991 C2S and was unimpressed - too soft. Hoping GT3 is another experience altogether.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the Scud is awesome.

RAD where are you?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kosmo
the Scud is awesome.

RAD where are you?
What happened to Rad? He literally disappeared.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I recommend you do serious homework on Scud F1 trans...$25k to replace.
Power team warranty is a must!
W/O a lot of upgrades, I don't think the Scud will come close to surviving track days like a GT3.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

No track, Scud is OK and so is any other fast car you like, if you track probably old GT is better even the GT2RS, or Corvette, Cayman maybe BMW..

GT3 only makes sense to me if you track the car.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
I recommend you do serious homework on Scud F1 trans...$25k to replace.
Power team warranty is a must!
W/O a lot of upgrades, I don't think the Scud will come close to surviving track days like a GT3.
Originally Posted by kosmo
the Scud is awesome.

RAD where are you?
Scuds are awesome, I have 2 of them As far as being reliable, I had 2 430 Challenge cars, one with 13k kilometers, one with 8k kilometers with no issues. The two guys I sold them to are still tracking them with just regular service. The most expensive repairs were the wheel bearings, $1800 a corner. If you drive on curbs, you will replace them every year, if not, they will last a while. The Scud I track has been bullet proof so far. The only upgrades I have done are, steel brake conversion, Roll Bar, harnesses and a custom exhaust (reduced weight by 32lbs). As soon as they find a fix for the issues on the 991 GT3, I will take it to the track and run it back to back against the Scud.

Last edited by Streetking; 03-04-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 AM
CarObsessed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Streetking
If you drive on curbs, you will replace them every year, if not, they will last a while.
I don't like driving on curbs anyway, so I can easily accommodate!

The Scud I track has been bullet proof so far. The only upgrades I have done are, steel brake conversion, Roll Bar, harnesses and a custom exhaust (reduced weight by 32lbs).
Nice to know!

As soon as they find a fix for the issues on the 991 GT3, I will take it to the track and run is back to back against the Scud.
Cool, I shall eagerly look forward to that.

Thanks for taking the effort to post pictures, Streetking. Your garage looks awesome!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
ztnedman1
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
What happened to Rad? He literally disappeared.
This is what happened to RAD

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...the-track.html
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Woah. I had no idea.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs. Ferrari 430 Scuderia