Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs. Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Old 03-06-2014, 11:03 AM
kosmo
Super User

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3 View Post
It doesn't have three years of warranty remaining, but then again, until the GT3 crisis is resolved, this forum is all about half-truths and speculation.
that was my point
Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM
CarObsessed
User

Originally Posted by Ritesh View Post
FYI - You have your residuals backwards. The Scuderia isn't going to depreciate much more while a new Porsche will depreciate for sure.
I think that's mostly true depending on how many GT3s Porsche will produce. If the 2014 run is over and there's a similar sized 2015 run and that's it, I think the GT3 will retain good value too. But otherwise, it looks from a couple of articles I read that Scuds are not going to lose much value from this point on.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:06 PM
CarObsessed
User

Originally Posted by Ritesh View Post
IMHO If you plan to track then a GT3 is much better choice than a Scuderia. The Scuderia is ideal for street use and once a year DE use. The CCB are pricey. I feel that service costs will limit somebody who is looking in the $150K range.

In that price range, I would look for a 2012 McLaren. You get DCT, steel brakes and a 3 yr. warranty. You should be good to go.
I am interesting in doing what StreetKing did - replace CCB with steel brakes to keep costs down. If I'm lucky, I might find an example with a good amount of brake pad and clutch life left. Or rather, I should be careful not to buy one which is past it's half life on those items.

Unfortunately the 12C doesn't work for me - the frontend looks too plain and the 5 minutes I drove it on track, it was underwhelming (compared to the 5 minutes of track time I got in a 458).

And also FWIW, a Ferrari approved Scud comes with a 1yr warranty. From their website - "Other than for routine service items such as tires, brake pads and discs, or parts that require replacement due to normal wear or tear, a Ferrari Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicle has an unlimited mileage, minimum one year coverage. This covers the breakdown and repair costs (excluding wear and tear) for both parts and labor."
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Streetking
User

Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
Your F1 transmission light came on when we were at COTA. What was the cause of that?
It was about 1oz low of fluid, the level light is very sensitive. I had the F1 system flushed and ran it last weekend with no issues.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Ritesh
User

Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
how does a 2012 MC have a 3yr warranty?
Because you would demand that the car is CPO's and has a full warranty before buying it. They will easily add a year, so you may only have a 2 year warranty but it is still better than not having one. Ofcourse, this only works if you are buying from a McLaren dealership
Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM
vf430
User

because you guys are talking about scud and gt3's ..old picture with my friends GT3rs and Italia on a backroads run.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:48 PM
MarcusG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vf430 View Post
because you guys are talking about scud and gt3's ..old picture with my friends GT3rs and Italia on a backroads run.

So nice.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Super User

Originally Posted by GTEE3 View Post
I recommend you do serious homework on Scud F1 trans...$25k to replace.
Power team warranty is a must!
W/O a lot of upgrades, I don't think the Scud will come close to surviving track days like a GT3.
Hell, reminds me of the Nissan GTR trannys blowing up on launch control, what is that VDC, and it not being covered under warranty. Cost more than $25K to replace that dual clutch transmission.

I like Ferraris a lot. Just can't see myself ever owning one unless I get lucky and get involved with a start-up and selling off all my shares. Otherwise I'm still saving up for that 959, who the hell needs a gaudy F40?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 PM
cgomez
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Scud is great. It is the best car Ive ever owned and only to be replaced with a 458 Speciale. (I've owned Gt3, GT2 and Cup cars)
It is very reliable for track use, and a lot more fun than the Porsches.

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...97-gt2-vs.html

Only big drawback vs the 991, is for daily use. I dont care about the extreme noise (actually like it) but the technology of the comfort features in 1980s tech. The radio, NAV, etc, feels like DOS (not even Windows 1.0!) vs. a modern Mac OS of a proper modern car like the 991 or current model Ferrari.

If you just want the more raw driving analog experience in a modern sportscar (reliable, fast transmission, proper brakes, etc.) the Scud is the way to go.
I would buy a Scud again over a 4.0 997 GT3RS. Only a GT2RS will make me blink.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:51 PM
NineEreven
Addict
Rennlist Member

SW, didn't know you were on RL. I dont think I have seen pics of your blue scud yet. Thanks for sharing and badass garage as always.

I vote Scud. I love porsches but the scuds are incredible.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Mash
User

Hey streetking, may I ask, what kind of wheels are you running for track use?
I have a Scud as well, and I've been meaning to get a set of wheels and slam some semi slicks on them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs. Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: