Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone driven in the 'no drive' period?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Has anyone driven in the 'no drive' period?

Aren't you at least a little tempted? Then again, I guess no one better answer honestly. I am sorry for you guys, from a lowly 997.1 owner.
J
Old 03-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy here in dubai who has decided not to give in his car to the dealer. In fact, not only has he not given it in , he is tracking it, blasting it on the roads and abusing it everyday. Not one problem. Nadda!

Last edited by Arth; 03-03-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know it will be frowned upon here but I have no intention of putting my car into hibernation when it arrives on the boat late next week from Europe where I have already put 3500 high speed fault free miles in a month of driving back in Dec 2013. As far as Im concerned there is nothing wrong with my car or it would be toast already. That being said I do expect an announcement will be made before that time that will shed further light on the issues....
Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I know it will be frowned upon here but I have no intention of putting my car into hibernation when it arrives on the boat late next week from Europe where I have already put 3500 high speed fault free miles in a month of driving back in Dec 2013. As far as Im concerned there is nothing wrong with my car or it would be toast already. That being said I do expect an announcement will be made before that time that will shed further light on the issues....
Completely understand Macca

In fact, the funny thing is when I got the call to bring in the car, the first question I was asked was how many km's I had on it so far. When I said 2k, he paused for about 4 seconds and then went on to say" I believe your car is fine, but as protocol I have to bring it in"

Really sad we could have perfectly good cars just being parked for the last 2 weeks.

Then again I could eat my words when the official announcement comes out

Who knows ...
Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah Arth, Im quietly confident. Even if they said its a engine drop replacement under warranty that will take months so I would still drive my car on the weekends unless they paid me alot of money not to. If the engine lunches itself they can take it away broken when they put the new one in it. I certainly hope it doesnt get to that stage however (and I dont expect it to at least for earlier build dates).
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Macca,
You are ok with this scenario with your new 150K USD GT3? I mean really??? You seem like a bright guy but you just bought a 150k depreciating asset and you don't care if they just tear it up and lop in a new engine?? Are we all just locked in to the Porsche cool-aid to accept this kind of nonsense??
Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It is what it is. Its metal and steel and meant for driving.

The real shame that I think Porsche should compensate us for (in cash please) is the fact we cant drive it while this goes on.....

The base car retails here for over $250K USD here incidentally. By mid March there will be 6 of these cars in our country. We will be leaning on the UK & US guys to do the heavy lifting here. Id like to say Im really upset but Ive owned the car over 3 months and its brilliant. I understood the issue to be a relatively simple one although the longer there is no communication the more nervous I get. I think we need to wait for an announcement before we shorten our life with stress....
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

It'd be no stress for me . I'd turn the car back in and get on the list for RS. No offense but the car pretty much seems to be a lemon (no offense meant). I highly doubt the issue is purely a small quick fix. If you recall my sources years ago about the 991 GT3 (where I essentially predicted everything such as PDK, HP, souped up 9A1 block never meant for racing, and time frame), I haven't been given the feeling that this is some little bolt that needs retrofitting. If you recall there were some major issues with press cars as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Refresh my memory re issues with Press Car please.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:45 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove mine a lot but not on track. Then one day I thought "well, don't know what is failing and I wonder if mine is not as bad to fail early on and can fail later", so I took it in and am driving a base 911 loaner. I should probably post a review of the loaner because the difference is, to say the least, susbstantially shocking. I can't see myself ever driving a Carrera again!!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Aren't you at least a little tempted?
Pleasure is often enhanced by delaying it. Try storing your car for the winter from Nov to Mar every year. It's like getting into a new GT3 (without buying it) every spring.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:11 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does Porsche have the legal power to not let you drive the car?

I mean, if the car breaks down and burn during the no-drive period, can they legally decline any responsability?

If they do, then shouldn't they pay a hefty premium to the owners? You lose the benefit of using something you paid a hefty price to acquire. Cost of lease is a good indication of how much a car costs to own over a certain period. The lease on a GT3 is probably close to 2500$/month. So unless Porsche gives 700$ a week that the car is out of operation, you are losing money.

I'd like to know a lawyer's point of view on this. As I would not give the car back to Porsche before the problem is known/identified, that a solution was found and that they give me 700$ for every week I can't drive the car. And if the motorfoking car breaks down, it'd let it burn to the ground.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I drove mine a lot but not on track. Then one day I thought "well, don't know what is failing and I wonder if mine is not as bad to fail early on and can fail later", so I took it in and am driving a base 911 loaner. I should probably post a review of the loaner because the difference is, to say the least, susbstantially shocking. I can't see myself ever driving a Carrera again!!
More interesting would be a comparison with the carrera S with powerkit. Both 3.8L. The 3.4L base carrera is bound to be not as good.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I have not.....it helps a little that it's been raining here for most of the time....but still, no.....
Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Lets overnight these brave souls some Go Pro's!!
Anyone need me to track their GT3?

Quick Reply: Has anyone driven in the 'no drive' period?