Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone driven in the 'no drive' period?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I'll largely disagree on the issue of 2014 vs 2015. There are a number of known issues with 997 GT3 RS 3.8s and 4.0s: water lines, cam actuators, freeze plugs, clutch plates, oil pumps... People are still buying those cars, and these are just the issues not already handled with service bulletins, etc. 458s were burning up for years and people are still buying them. If the 991 GT3 gets a bad rap long term depends on how this plays out.

BTW, Macca and I discussed offline, there are a number of things going on here. I don't know if I convinced him, but I'll say again that I'd strongly advise against driving the car until we understand more.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Totally agree with Bacura. Most of us aren't buying the car worrying about depreciation....BUT anyone believing that their 2014 won't have a massive depreciation is way off base. I wouldn't touch a 2014 and neither will ANY informed customer looking to purchase one of these "lemons" in the future!
It's got a lot of other negatives going for it. High production numbers, pdk only, 4 year rust warranty and guys driving it in the winter. High maintenance wear items. With the expanded market that pdk opened up means there are going to be a lot of abused cars out there when the next fad becomes available they dump it to get the new fad.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Going back to the original question, I was in London on Saturday and saw a white GT3 driving around, stuck in traffic. So it suggests some folks are ignoring the note.

Mine is at port of entry in RI. It's waiting to be picked-up. It's been there for more than a week and it's frustrating but, well, there's not much I can do.... except wait.

The only question I raised with my dealer is that I bought this to 'lessen the lag to get my hands on an RS'... At this rate, I might not even want to pick it up, assuming there aren't any major delays to the RS. I'm told I have the very first RS dealer allocation in RI.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

Can you imagine being stuck in traffic and the car ignites? What about the other cars that have no where to go while the GT3 alongside of them burns. We tend to forget there are others who may get hurt should owners of the Gt3 drive despite being told not to do so.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Anyone stupid enough to drive theirs should check with their insurance company. You might not be covered. If it was me, I would absolutely NOT take delivery of a 2014. Wait for a 2015. From a resale point of view the 2014's are tainted. Think about it. How many of you would buy a used 2014 unless there was a big discount?
I would/will buy as soon as they are cleared.
Too much negative hype on here
Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Can you imagine being stuck in traffic and the car ignites? What about the other cars that have no where to go while the GT3 alongside of them burns. We tend to forget there are others who may get hurt should owners of the Gt3 drive despite being told not to do so.
Hilarious.. Report this renegade... Hope he at least has a fire extinguisher..
Have to admit, if we see one of these flame up in you tube it will be the post of the century.. I could see being at a stop light and looking over at this guy doing a total face plant LMAO.. Go get 'em boy.. -- Better yet, hold up a fire extinguisher...
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Hilarious.. Report this renegade... Hope he at least has a fire extinguisher..
Have to admit, if we see one of these flame up in you tube it will be the post of the century.. I could see being at a stop light and looking over at this guy doing a total face plant LMAO.. Go get 'em boy.. -- Better yet, hold up a fire extinguisher...
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It's got a lot of other negatives going for it. High production numbers, pdk only, 4 year rust warranty and guys driving it in the winter. High maintenance wear items. With the expanded market that pdk opened up means there are going to be a lot of abused cars out there when the next fad becomes available they dump it to get the new fad.
Sorry, I don't buy your logic. The lack of corrosion dipping is common across all GT3, so this isn't anything new. You're right, that this car will have a wider audience and some people will drive them in the winter, but a rusty car is pretty easy to spot, and will sell for less than a pristine car. As for the abuse, i'd argue that there is no GT3 that won't be abused. I would also argue that, a 997 or 996 GT3 is more likely to have see track abuse than a 991 GT3 given that the 991 GT3 will attract an expanding market (including poseurs who won't ever use the car in a way it was intended). And also, the PDK will eliminate over revs which is always a factor on manuals.

At the end of the day, the 991 GT3 will still very likely have a decent resale. And as for fads, this car is no different than any other in that respect.

Oh, and it may have a relatively high production volume, but how many will be around in a few years, given their tendency to burst into flames (for those people with no sense of humour, this comment was made tongue-in-cheek)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
Mine is at port of entry in RI. It's waiting to be picked-up. It's been there for more than a week and it's frustrating but, well, there's not much I can do.... except wait.
If you are anywhere near North Kingstown, head down Davisville Rd. During the summer all of the Porsche's were lined up against the fence...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drama queeners and naysayers unite! Good grief.

Originally Posted by Bacura
Anyone stupid enough to drive theirs should check with their insurance company. You might not be covered. If it was me, I would absolutely NOT take delivery of a 2014. Wait for a 2015. From a resale point of view the 2014's are tainted. Think about it. How many of you would buy a used 2014 unless there was a big discount?
Insurance: they are generally written to provide coverage unless the activity is excluded under a certain clause. I'm not sure what logic you are advocating, but I can tell you my policy does not have an exclusion for 'possible manufacturer defect or possible defect of which you became aware'. You are way off base here.

Depreciation: totally depends on the nature of the fault, the number of cars affected, and nature of the fix.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
LOL Nick. There is no substitute.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
Sorry, I don't buy your logic. The lack of corrosion dipping is common across all GT3, so this isn't anything new. You're right, that this car will have a wider audience and some people will drive them in the winter, but a rusty car is pretty easy to spot, and will sell for less than a pristine car. As for the abuse, i'd argue that there is no GT3 that won't be abused. I would also argue that, a 997 or 996 GT3 is more likely to have see track abuse than a 991 GT3 given that the 991 GT3 will attract an expanding market (including poseurs who won't ever use the car in a way it was intended). And also, the PDK will eliminate over revs which is always a factor on manuals.

At the end of the day, the 991 GT3 will still very likely have a decent resale. And as for fads, this car is no different than any other in that respect.

Oh, and it may have a relatively high production volume, but how many will be around in a few years, given their tendency to burst into flames (for those people with no sense of humour, this comment was made tongue-in-cheek)
I doubt that, over revs are simply found with a PPI. Where as the 991 GT3 has the expanding market, too many available, purists not bothering with it. Winter driven, amateur driven, leased poorly maintained, expensive wear items, requires speciality service and tooling. These cars are a bargain compared to other high end cars and have a respectable performance level that any grandma/pa can benefit from so bring in more of the worst type of previous owner. Rust and abuse and lack of maintenance is not easy to spot in a 3 year life cycle of the new market. I won't touch a used one now with this new market with no respect for a car. I realize some have waited 20 years to have to the ultimate auto 911 DE car that brings their lack of skill up to the same level as a decent manual driver but it brought a whole can of worms to the name.

High production is the main killer. Always will be. Doubt VW will really care since it's all about car sales. They don't even race this car or it's engine.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:27 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

While everyone is throwing thoughts at the wind...

Even if the motor has to be entirely replaced at the dealer its not a big deal. It's a simple task compared to a 3.8 Powerkit upgrade which I hear happening at many dealerships. I completely understand if some of the guys would want to cancel their orders if that becomes the case (no pun intended). Everyone who hasn't taken delivery will have that option.

Not every GT3 owner frequents Rennlist or 6 Sp**d. I have a neighbor with a 997 GT3 and he doesn't even have an e-mail address. He's retired and doesn't do computers. He also travels all over. There are going to be a few owners here or in Europe driving their cars during the entire stop sale and it's been a while now. Haven't heard of any more fires.

The 997's like others have mentioned had repairable issues and I don't know of any stay away from years. Are there?

Even with all the 2014's built and 2015's when the fix is in Porsche still won't be able to build enough of them fast enough. The extended powertrain warranty option is a good one and if I was in the market for a used 991 GT3 in a couple of years I'd want a 2014 so I wouldn't need worry about tracking that thing out of it's mind.

The motor while not a Mez isn't a completely untested power plant. It may be "new" but just think of the thousands upon thousands of 9,000 redline brutal test miles Porsche has run on that motor during R&D. Hundreds of cars delivered and being driven without issues just like Macca's. Same for the PDK. It's not brand new although it shares the case with my Carrera it's not brand new technology. How about that Turbo with with 60 plus Launch Control starts by that journalist. You think Porsche hasn't put thousands of 700 hp PDK launches through that new box? There's no way Porsche would make the 991 PDK only and be worried about reliability.

To summarize, even if there was only ONE fire Porsche HAD to engage the stop sale and ask ALL existing owners to stop driving their cars until they can definitively identify the problem. The reason is if even a single person dies in a 991 GT3 fire because he/she couldn't get out of the car in time it's game over for Porsche. Keeping a few hundred guys from driving their perfectly good cars doesn't compare to even one person losing their life in a fire and that's the way Porsche is viewing this. It's sucks to not be able to drive your cars and if I had a dog in the fight I'd be just a pissed.

Can you imagine what it would be like in here or on the other board if someone perished by fire in a new GT3? It had to be done. The good news is once the fix is in and the cars are back out on the road most of us/you will forget about the lost seat time because you won't be able to wipe the sh*t eating grins off your faces because you own one of the most amazing track cars for the street ever produced!

There will be some kind of compensation one way or another. You can count on that. Will it satisfy everyone? Not in the least but life will continue and I'll still be jealous of the guy with 75 more hp and centerlock wheels sitting next to me in traffic.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Thats a breath of fresh positive air around here. Marcus thanks for you post.

I worked out last night that if one assumes around 500 cars have been delivered into customers hands (PNA figures suggest 139 for Jan+Feb and an unknown quantity for Dec - lets assume 90), 108 for UK and lets assume 200 for Europe and ROW, and lets assume the average owners has closed up 2000km (its probably higher as I know a dozen guys with well over 2000 MILES on their cars) then since early Nov when customers cars were delivered there have been over 1,000,000 Kms put on thsi car in a variety of climates, usage, conditions. Just saying...
Old 03-04-2014, 03:41 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

You bet Macca.

Just had to be said.

You're "just saying"... figure holds a ton of water. Probably holds enough water that sits between Newport Beach and Great South Road in Newmarket and that's a lot of water!

Quick Reply: Has anyone driven in the 'no drive' period?