Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

GT3 vs 458

 
Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 PM
  #76  
TomTom77
User
 
TomTom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post
How do you like your 458S? What did you trade up from?
I like it a lot. Have driven 1,600 km in 2 weekends, mostly of deserted (mountain) roads. It is very different to an 458 Italia indeed.

I didn't trade up really. I sold my second GT-R almost 2 years ago. And have only been driving the 1M since. Early February, I took delivery of my 991 GT3 (6 months too late) only 10 days prior to setting the 458 Speciale. Hence I am planning to sell the GT3 (because I wasn't planning on the 458S, 1M and GT3). After it gets fixed, obviously.

The GT3 is amazing and beats the 458 (Speciale) hands down on value-for-money. But I've allowed myself not to care about the money this time. And the Speciale is a very different animal. More extreme, more raw, more rigid, more noisy, more pure, more focused, even more race-car like. And all this gives me an even bigger smile on my face.
TomTom77 is offline  
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM
  #77  
markow
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TomTom77 View Post
You indeed caught me, getting the entry-level version, Kosmo!

White. No carpet. No radio. No sat-nav. No normal seat-belts. No glove-box. And I don't miss any of it!
no air-con? :::::))))
peter
markow is offline  
Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 PM
  #78  
kosmo
Super User
 
kosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: THE Republic
Posts: 10,595
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TomTom77 View Post

You indeed caught me, getting the entry-level version, Kosmo!

White. No carpet. No radio. No sat-nav. No normal seat-belts. No glove-box. And I don't miss any of it!
You da man!
kosmo is offline  
Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 PM
  #79  
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Beta Testing
Posts: 10,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TomTom77 View Post
I

I didn't trade up really. I sold my second GT-R almost 2 years ago. And have only been driving the 1M since. Early February, I took delivery of my 991 GT3 (6 months too late) only 10 days prior to setting the 458 Speciale.
Given that its your first F-car (and good one at that) is it safe to assume Dubai F-car dealers don't put prospective customers thru the servitude to the F-car god bull that goes on in the U.S.?
Nizer is offline  
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM
  #80  
aussie jimmy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
aussie jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sydney
Posts: 6,222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

sounds like a great car.
congrats to ferrari for the ***** to do it.
aussie jimmy is offline  
Old 02-28-2014, 09:00 PM
  #81  
cvtbenhogan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
cvtbenhogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Downers Grove, Illinois
Posts: 1,045
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
Given that its your first F-car (and good one at that) is it safe to assume Dubai F-car dealers don't put prospective customers thru the servitude to the F-car god bull that goes on in the U.S.?
Nizer. Great avatar.
cvtbenhogan is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 AM
  #82  
TomTom77
User
 
TomTom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by markow View Post
no air-con? :::::))))
peter
Peter,

Sorry, I did chicken out and kept the air-con. No air-con in Dubai... no thanks!

Tom.
TomTom77 is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 AM
  #83  
TomTom77
User
 
TomTom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
Given that its your first F-car (and good one at that) is it safe to assume Dubai F-car dealers don't put prospective customers thru the servitude to the F-car god bull that goes on in the U.S.?
That's indeed correct. When I made my 30k EUR down-payment on this car (which at that time had no name, specs or otherwise) 18 months ago, I made it very clear to the sales guy and his manager that I wanted this car and this car only. And if they or Ferrari would decide that I wasn't worthy to own one, I would take my money elsewhere. They committed that I would get one (later than sooner probably, but still) and have more than stuck to their promise on that. When I specced my car, I was the 4th on the list for Dubai (previous 3 all also ordered a LaFerrari...), but my car 'overtook' some of theirs in the production process (probably because I bought a 'bog-standard' one ;-)), I ended up receiving my car as the second customer in Dubai.

And the Ferrari customer experience so far has been amazing. Sure, the price tags is different, but don't get me started on the Porsche experience during the prolonged wait for my GT3. And afterwards...
TomTom77 is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 06:23 AM
  #84  
markow
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TomTom77 View Post
Peter,

Sorry, I did chicken out and kept the air-con. No air-con in Dubai... no thanks!

Tom.
and i thought you are really hardline.....just joking....enjoy your beautiful car.
p
markow is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 AM
  #85  
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Beta Testing
Posts: 10,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TomTom77 View Post
That's indeed correct. When I made my 30k EUR down-payment on this car (which at that time had no name, specs or otherwise) 18 months ago, I made it very clear to the sales guy and his manager that I wanted this car and this car only. And if they or Ferrari would decide that I wasn't worthy to own one, I would take my money elsewhere. They committed that I would get one (later than sooner probably, but still) and have more than stuck to their promise on that. When I specced my car, I was the 4th on the list for Dubai (previous 3 all also ordered a LaFerrari...), but my car 'overtook' some of theirs in the production process (probably because I bought a 'bog-standard' one ;-)), I ended up receiving my car as the second customer in Dubai.

And the Ferrari customer experience so far has been amazing. Sure, the price tags is different, but don't get me started on the Porsche experience during the prolonged wait for my GT3. And afterwards...
Funny how money cuts trough the bullů.
Nizer is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 AM
  #86  
Jon70
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jon70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I can imagine a white 458 speciale with carbon side skirts and gold wheels in my garage. Might save me money as I wouldn't be able to see a reason to ever upgrade.
Jon70 is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 PM
  #87  
Clarence Ng
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

After much deliberation, and soul searching, I have finally taken the plunge. Was working with the Porsche dealer on the GT3, but I guess they were struggling to match my asking price for my M3. The lull has allowed me to dig deeper into my heart and I have decided to stay true to my real love. That's not to say I don't fancy the new GT3. It's just that the cancellation of the GT3 at Sepang a few weeks back, which was probably due to the global stop-drive action by Porsche, has sort of also dampen my enthusiasm for the car. Perhaps Porsche bit off more than they can chew with the new GT3. Maybe a .2 car in a few years time...

So i have gone all mad and went ahead today and ordered the new 458 Speciale for delivery end of the year. The Speciale is just too tempting and it rights all the wrong with the 458 styling that has always plagued me. This is the last car in my bucket list that I have to own. After that, I think I can drive Camrys and Accords for the rest of my natural life. Ideally, I would have liked to own the GT3 as well, but the prohibitive price of cars here means the Speciale is all that I can afford at this moment. The Speciale would make a nice companion to my M5. If the Ferrari dealer couldn't meet my price expectations, I would prob have went across and look at the new Mac 650S. I was hoping it won't come to that, and I am glad it din.

Passion aside, I won't be surprised if the new GT3 turns out to be more nimble due to the smaller footprint and amazing rear wheel steer. It has shocked many people at many tracks the world over. Lastly, sorry guys. This is an amazing forum with tons of really knowledgeable and passionate guys. I will definitely be hanging around to learn more from u guys. I fully intend to own the GT3 at some point in my life. Enjoy your GT3s in good health!
Clarence Ng is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM
  #88  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,658
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

congrats! thats a hell of a car!!!
sechsgang is online now  
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM
  #89  
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Beta Testing
Posts: 10,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clarence Ng View Post
So i have gone all mad and went ahead today and ordered the new 458 Speciale for delivery end of the year. The Speciale is just too tempting and it rights all the wrong with the 458 styling that has always plagued me.
Heck of car. Look forward to hearing all about it.


Last edited by Nizer; 03-01-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Nizer is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 AM
  #90  
TomTom77
User
 
TomTom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clarence Ng View Post
After much deliberation, and soul searching, I have finally taken the plunge. Was working with the Porsche dealer on the GT3, but I guess they were struggling to match my asking price for my M3. The lull has allowed me to dig deeper into my heart and I have decided to stay true to my real love. That's not to say I don't fancy the new GT3. It's just that the cancellation of the GT3 at Sepang a few weeks back, which was probably due to the global stop-drive action by Porsche, has sort of also dampen my enthusiasm for the car. Perhaps Porsche bit off more than they can chew with the new GT3. Maybe a .2 car in a few years time...

So i have gone all mad and went ahead today and ordered the new 458 Speciale for delivery end of the year. The Speciale is just too tempting and it rights all the wrong with the 458 styling that has always plagued me. This is the last car in my bucket list that I have to own. After that, I think I can drive Camrys and Accords for the rest of my natural life. Ideally, I would have liked to own the GT3 as well, but the prohibitive price of cars here means the Speciale is all that I can afford at this moment. The Speciale would make a nice companion to my M5. If the Ferrari dealer couldn't meet my price expectations, I would prob have went across and look at the new Mac 650S. I was hoping it won't come to that, and I am glad it din.

Passion aside, I won't be surprised if the new GT3 turns out to be more nimble due to the smaller footprint and amazing rear wheel steer. It has shocked many people at many tracks the world over. Lastly, sorry guys. This is an amazing forum with tons of really knowledgeable and passionate guys. I will definitely be hanging around to learn more from u guys. I fully intend to own the GT3 at some point in my life. Enjoy your GT3s in good health!
Congratulations, Clarence! You won't be disappointed, for sure! And there are plenty of opportunities to trash it around on Sepang too...
TomTom77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 vs 458


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: