Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Possiblities? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/801689-possiblities.html)

silverrules 02-22-2014 11:49 PM

Possiblities?

Is it possible that PAG is in a tough spot as they don't think they can fix the design flaw permanently and they don't want to be involved in litigation and decide to Issue refunds to current owners in exchange for the cars? Porsche then writes off $140M and ends the GT3 era.

reidry 02-22-2014 11:53 PM

I just threw up a little in my mouth. I need to go lay down.

Ryan

-eztrader- 02-22-2014 11:55 PM

I suppose it's possible.....where do 3.8 and 4.0 prices go if so?

0Q991 02-22-2014 11:55 PM

Anything's possible. But, probable? No.

Mike in CA 02-22-2014 11:57 PM

Chance of that happening <1%, IMHO

Again, there are too many cars running around with lots of miles on them and no problems. So far this has only shown up on a few cars right out of the box. This points to a faulty part problem, not a design flaw. Doesn't mean, though, that it's easy to pinpoint the specific part and that it won't take time to sort out to make sure what cars might be affected and which cars aren't. Macca laid out the step by step process they are having to go through very well in an earlier post. My .02c.....

silverrules 02-23-2014 12:04 AM

LOL, I sure hope not guys. We want this car fixed.

LateBrake911 02-23-2014 01:36 AM

Yep... Anything's possible.. LOL.. Its also :jumper:POSSIBLE :jumper: .... sorry :), couldn't help it..
....that they found it and are doing some type of FEMA (failure mode effects analysis) , re-production, etc.. for CYA before they officially close it out.

If the cars all torched w/ < 100 miles on the odo, that should make it easier to find, as it's closer to a Hard Failure they can more readily reproduce.. And better if those cars came from he same batch..

The good news is I think they have a decent sample of 5 or so cars. .. With 1, or 2 I'd be more worried about the timeline.. --Will be getting anxious if I don't get the 'You Can Drive your Car now' call past middle of march when the snow actually clears up..

At least folks in mild climates now have to endure what I've been dealing with the last month.. .. Ha Ha..

Macca 02-23-2014 01:49 AM

The possibilities we dream up while we are waiting LOL!

My views are as Mike says.

If they decided to recall these cars wholesale for a full refund I would absolutely refuse to give mine back. Theres nothing wrong with it!

Imagine going from owning 1 of 780 x 991 GT3 to owning one of say a couple of dozen (like minded people who refused to return?) in the world.

I can only imagine it would be worth triple the price to a collector in 10 years time...

Advert in 2023
"the very rare ultra performance 991 GT3 - last ever designed and produced naturally aspirated GT3 - which upset the super-car set in the early millennium and was wholesale recalled and destroyed by PAG when exorbitant potential future product liability costs forced the board to scrap the vaulted GT3 project from that day forth. One of what is believed to be 30 remaining customer cars (only 4 x RHD versions believed to be in existence), built week 47 starting 18 Nov 2013 and believed to be unaffected by supplier component failure this car has travelled only 35,000 km in its life and proven 100% reliable in that time. Buy yourself an appreciated asset, rarer than the 1986 959 and 1973 2.7RS and guarranteed to continue to appreciated. This opportunity doesnt present itself often, be quick at $450,000 USD this rare high performance collectors car is sure to sell"....

Go on Porsche. Make my day LOL!

MaxLTV 02-23-2014 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by silverrules (Post 11157811)
Is it possible that PAG is in a tough spot as they don't think they can fix the design flaw permanently and they don't want to be involved in litigation and decide to Issue refunds to current owners in exchange for the cars? Porsche then writes off $140M and ends the GT3 era.

Is it possible?

I wish I did not read this. Now I'll spend the night evaluating the options if this car goes away (MP4-12C? 997.2 GT3? spec miata and a trailer? Modded Cayman R? Atom? I almost had to go in therapy I had to make the decision last time). First world problems, I know. :surr:

Macca 02-23-2014 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by gskudlarick (Post 11158014)
Yep... Anything's possible.. LOL.. Its also :jumper:POSSIBLE :jumper: .... sorry :), couldn't help it..
....that they found it and are doing some type of FEMA (failure mode effects analysis) , re-production, etc.. for CYA before they officially close it out.

If the cars all torched w/ < 100 miles on the odo, that should make it easier to find, as it's closer to a Hard Failure they can more readily reproduce.. And better if those cars came from he same batch..

The good news is I think they have a decent sample of 5 or so cars. .. With 1, or 2 I'd be more worried about the timeline.. --Will be getting anxious if I don't get the 'You Can Drive your Car now' call past middle of march when the snow actually clears up..

At least folks in mild climates now have to endure what I've been dealing with the last month.. .. Ha Ha..

I agree with this. Although (from what we know) its technically a Hard Failure, the sample size is infact 2 not 5 (quoted in the press and in PAG statements). The fact the product suffered virtual destruction doesnt make the job easier. Although we dont know for sure we assume the cars are from a similar VIN batch, which allows the factory to try and reproduce the fault form a similar vintage VIN (easily available in Europe). Not a simple task but doable. Remember a combustion event such as the one likely to put a hole in a crankcase can be caused by electronic system failure as well as mechanical (i.e. ignition timing, injector malfunction, wasted spark, cam timing etc). You can blow up a perfectly good engine changing down a gear wrong, running it too lean, pushing the timing to aggressive etc etc etc

We will know within the next fortnight is my guess....

LateBrake911 02-23-2014 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11158032)
The possibilities we dream up while we are waiting LOL!

My views are as Mike says.

If they decided to recall these cars wholesale for a full refund I would absolutely refuse to give mine back. Theres nothing wrong with it!
Go on Porsche. Make my day LOL!

Excellent. :jumper:

Id hide mine if they came looking.. --- do a bunch of research on F1/ Race Car fire prevention/protection, probably resulting in a few heat shields. . buy a fire extinguisher for under the front seat, call it a day and chill.

(like a snow balls chance.. if it ever came to that, I'm sure it would be corporate politics & legal asset protection, vs. actual engineering..-- dang..all the products dumbed down in the US drive me nuts already..Give me the products with the the checkbox that it says I take full responsibility if I accidentally stick this xxx up my.. ahhhh [nose] ... Dang. that should be a new classification of products...or option for the consumer at the checkout.. instant 33% off.. LOL better then Martha Stewart... )

Macca 02-23-2014 03:12 AM

Yeah. Lucky for me mine not even in the coutry it was sold and first registered in and not all of those silly laws exist Downunder! I paid cash and have title and they cant take it away from me LOL....

Bill_C4S 02-23-2014 08:45 AM

hmmm....gallardo stopped after flambe? no.

458 stopped after inceratori? no.

we do love plumbing the depths of seriously left tail..events...what do I reckon....99.95% percentile?

Go for it....0.05% chance that PAG rips up the GT3 playbook...wanders off to produce macan jnr...and mini-pana...

sure you might get your payday ..coz it is possible...probable? nfw....

i'll happily and all day long take the other side of that spec.

ChrisF 02-23-2014 08:48 AM

Wouldn't the write-off be much higher? I'm thinking R&D, tooling up the line and the 785+ cars built and worst of all - negative publicity. Thinking a bit more than $140M. Can't possibly think Porsche could even consider this option. Cost to redesign the entire power train, mfg it, replace it and subsidize existing owners has to be MUCH cheaper.

gonzobreeder 02-23-2014 09:10 AM

mmm I've had to fix problems like this before. It's easy if it's consistent. eg every car has the same problem. The trouble is every other car seems fine. I'm sure glad it's not me trying to work it out. These types of faults are mongrels. I really feel for the poor engineer who's shoulders this thing has been thrown on and I would hate to be the one who has the finger pointed at them for creating the problem in the first place. I'm really interested to find out what the bloody problem is. Can't help myself