991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possiblities?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Why red instead of pretty Carrara white?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@SamfromTX -- Paint? Or...Plasti-dip? Where's @CAlexio?!
Paint.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I like. Bravo! Details please....
Easy. Remove the plastic parts of the key carefully, if I recall correctly from the tapered end first then work your way to the other end. Then I use small prism like plastic parts to place the key parts on. One coat of primer then I waited 10-15 mins, then two coats of red (the OEM are NOT GR, so I found something a hair darker at Home Depot, assuming you want red) waiting 30 mins between each coat. 30 mins later, I did two coats of clear, also 30 min apart. I sprayed from 15-18 inch distance to apply a thin film and not to blow the key parts away. It will take forever to cure. Last year, when I painted one yellow (black TTS with yellow brakes, stitching), and inserted the key into the slot after a few days, the paint peeled off. I realized it wasn't cured. This time, I waited a month before I tried it.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Now this conversation is getting awesome again, like the good old days. I thought about white then I decided to do red/black as it matched the interior better, since I have red/black inside and no white. Note the keychain with contrasted red stitching too...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
I was never expecting any chump change, otherwise I would have got a Vette, or GTR.. HaHa.. Warranty increase would seem fair, as we bought the car to drive, not get little 2k cash bonuses.. or rent a cars.
Agreed, especially if you decide to sell it in a few years and the buyers are concerned about first year cars.
BMW gave 6/100 wrt oil lubricated parts on the M3's with bad rod bearings ('01-'03), which seemed sufficient to offset the public concern etc.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Paint.

Easy. Remove the plastic parts of the key carefully, if I recall correctly from the tapered end first then work your way to the other end. Then I use small prism like plastic parts to place the key parts on. One coat of primer then I waited 10-15 mins, then two coats of red (the OEM are NOT GR, so I found something a hair darker at Home Depot, assuming you want red) waiting 30 mins between each coat. 30 mins later, I did two coats of clear, also 30 min apart. I sprayed from 15-18 inch distance to apply a thin film and not to blow the key parts away. It will take forever to cure. Last year, when I painted one yellow (black TTS with yellow brakes, stitching), and inserted the key into the slot after a few days, the paint peeled off. I realized it wasn't cured. This time, I waited a month before I tried it.
Correction: I removed the tabs from the wide part first, then worked my way down to the tapered part.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Now this conversation is getting awesome again, like the good old days. I thought about white then I decided to do red/black as it matched the interior better, since I have red/black inside and no white. Note the keychain with contrasted red stitching too...
Got it, red accents all the way inside, but CUP car white outside as it should be.
And perhaps you wanted to mesmerise Mike in CA.
It worked, he's on his way to Home Depot, just not in his GT3...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Got it, red accents all the way inside, but CUP car white outside as it should be.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Agreed, especially if you decide to sell it in a few years and the buyers are concerned about first year cars.
BMW gave 6/100 wrt oil lubricated parts on the M3's with bad rod bearings ('01-'03), which seemed sufficient to offset the public concern etc.
GT3 engine is a different animal. It is NEW very high performance engine designed to withstand extreme use in track related events. This is not a run of the mill motor primarily used for normal highway driving.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm easily mesmerized.....bright, shiny things usually do it......Cup car white, blah, blah, blah....

Thanks for the details, Sam.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to distance himself from Hitler, I think.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick
GT3 engine is a different animal. It is NEW very high performance engine designed to withstand extreme use in track related events. This is not a run of the mill motor primarily used for normal highway driving.
Well the S54 motors hold up to track abuse VERY well.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Actually the S54's piston acceleration profile at 8K rpm, due to it's long stroke and rod design, was greater than many 8K+ rpm race engines.
BMW also started using the engine immediately in its factory racing programs with excellent reliability.
The S54 was hardly a run of the mill engine primarily used for normal highway driving and a 6/100 warranty to cover both engines
makes complete sense, especially considering most will hit the 6 years before 100K ie. it is really a practical 2 year extension to create value and confidence.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
Trying to distance himself from Hitler, I think.
Yes. Plus this key deserves a mention in Ringmeister's upcoming movie... I'm just sayin
Old 02-27-2014, 05:32 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLM911
I'm getting bored with this now. Having the car sit in the garage and not drive it is worse than when I was waiting for it. Once driven you cant go back....
Yep, feels like a Eunuch working at a super model agency.. --Hopefully everyone will get home soon and start posting elaborate hypothesis. This could be the last day of all the fun.. Too exciting.. --After 30 days, tomorrow could be 'Drive' day..
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Ahhh, angling for you 5 seconds of fame I see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possiblities?