Possiblities?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Texas lemon law:
The Texas Lemon Law is a consumer protection statute designed to help Texas consumers get rid of their defective vehicles. If you have purchased a new vehicle, and you have taken it back to the dealership for repairs four or more times (twice within the first year / 12,000 miles, and two more times within the next year /12,000 miles) and the problem continues to exist, or you have taken your vehicle in twice within the first two years / 24,000 miles for a serious safety defect, or your vehicle was in the shop for 30 days or more, you may have a lemon. If so, you may be entitled to a full refund or a new vehicle.
I am not an attorney, but "MAY" does not mean "DO" so "...you may have a lemon..." doesn't necessarily mean you DO have a lemon.

BTW, can we put a moratorium on litigation talk here on rennlist, particularly on the 991GT3 board? Porsche is obviously trying to solve the 991GT3 engine problem, and while I am not in the 991GT3 market and don't like the PDK-only approach, I follow this board over all the others on rennlist because I believe the success of the 991GT3 influences the future of the 911GT/TT program, and I support Porsche's success. It seems like typical American consumer crassness to discuss chloroforming PAG before they even announce their solution to this.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
I am not an attorney, but "MAY" does not mean "DO" so "...you may have a lemon..." doesn't necessarily mean you DO have a lemon.

BTW, can we put a moratorium on litigation talk here on rennlist, particularly on the 991GT3 board? Porsche is obviously trying to solve the 991GT3 engine problem, and while I am not in the 991GT3 market and don't like the PDK-only approach, I follow this board over all the others on rennlist because I believe the success of the 991GT3 influences the future of the 911GT/TT program, and I support Porsche's success. It seems like typical American consumer crassness to discuss chloroforming PAG before they even announce their solution to this.

Point understood...but it seems as if PAG have been the ones preparing for law suits more than we have been...I think all of us just want this to be made right by ,what at least has been, my and many of your favorite high performance sports car companies in the world...I'd like if that view didn't change...
Old 03-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
An extended warranty for those cars that had to go back for a 'fix' would be nice. I'd rather have the extended warranty on a car that was fixed and working just fine, than a car that was made a few months from now that incorporates the fix but still has the standard warranty. That should take care of any resale worries or if you're keeping the car for a longer period of time.

FWIW, my wife used to be a quality control engineer. Based on what she knows about these recalls, don't expect to hear anything for about a month. We're already 2 weeks into it, so it shouldn't be much longer.
Certainly an extended transferable warranty will enhance the resale value. That said, depending on the nature of the fix performance could be compromised.

BTW, has your car been built?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, can we put a moratorium on litigation talk here on rennlist, particularly on the 991GT3 board? Porsche is obviously trying to solve the 991GT3 engine problem
Point well taken. I was just posting a clarification but you are right.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:06 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's also reasonable to have some communication from the manufacturer on progress given a 140k+ asset is out of service pending fix.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Certainly an extended transferable warranty will enhance the resale value. That said, depending on the nature of the fix performance could be compromised.

BTW, has your car been built?
A fix is a fix. I wouldn't worry about performance being compromised. My main concern would be the mechanic putting the car back together forgets to properly tighten or re-install something, which is where I think your apprehension is. I guess there isn't much that can be done about that potential pitfall. People make mistakes. However, mistakes can be made at the factory too.

My allocation has a start build date of 4/11 and completion of 4/25. No change... yet.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
A fix is a fix. I wouldn't worry about performance being compromised. My main concern would be the mechanic putting the car back together forgets to properly tighten or re-install something, which is where I think your apprehension is. I guess there isn't much that can be done about that potential pitfall. People make mistakes. However, mistakes can be made at the factory too.

My allocation has a start build date of 4/11 and completion of 4/25. No change... yet.
Want to trade? My car will be in San Diego on March 5th.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Want to trade? My car will be in San Diego on March 5th.
That would depend on what the options and color are.
Then there's the issue of whether my dealer would allow the transfer....
Old 03-01-2014, 04:04 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If replacement engine is the only option, there will be plenty of refurbished engines that might be put back in circulation. How do you know that when you take new delivery? Not that the refurbished engine is bad, but sometime you want to get brand new engine with your new car.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sand8
If replacement engine is the only option, there will be plenty of refurbished engines that might be put back in circulation. How do you know that when you take new delivery? Not that the refurbished engine is bad, but sometime you want to get brand new engine with your new car.
Good question. But as Orthojoe pointed out the one big fear is whether local dealers have the knowledge to take apart and put back an engine. The engine is new.

If the engines were returned to Germany for repair (very unlikely) at least one can feel fairly confident the job was done correctly.

Orthojoe, I will throw in an autographed keychain by AP and one night with Kate Upton.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
It's also reasonable to have some communication from the manufacturer on progress given a 140k+ asset is out of service pending fix.
Squeaky wheel gets the oil....if you say nothing you are either in denial...or... Gosh, maybe it's your fault?

Unbelievable to me how $150K investments gone temporarily south are just brushed aside without impunity.

Possibly Porsche will send out the equivalent of Putin's "night wolves" to hush any complainers + make sure you get to wait longer.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:08 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

The key to any Lemon Law is the manufacture has tried to repair often (in CA four times) and the car still has the problem. The fact that the car is inoperable for 30 days does not matter if the manufacturer has not had an opportunity to repair.
Incorrect. In CA it's 30 days out of service (combined) OR 4 visits to the shop within the first year of ownership. It doesn't have to all be for the same issue, and it doesn't matter if they fix the issue on day 30 or the 4th visit.

How do I know? I lemoned a BMW 328i last year, in a situation slightly similar to this. The short version is brake failure due to a bad camshaft. (I think resulting in lack of correct vacuum causing the brake booster to fail). I went through many of the same emotions (obviously on a much smaller financial level) then everyone here as the solution was for the top end to be rebuilt by the local dealer. As soon as they knew that was the solution and that the arrival of parts would put them past 30 days in the shop I immediately started buy back discussions.

Granted, I wasn't as attached to the car nor was it hard to get as you guys are dealing with. I initially planned to reorder the next model year or even step up to a 335 to avoid the problem, but after being jerked around and insulted by BMWNA I washed my hands as soon as I got the buyback. Went straight to my p-car dealer and bought a Cayenne Diesel instead, couldn't be happier :P

Nick, I can only imagine the pain and stress you guys are going through, but even you have admitted you've been the drama queen lately. This is a prime example of you speaking authoritively on a subject that you're not an expert on. Please be careful with that
Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Orthojoe, I will throw in an autographed keychain by AP and one night with Kate Upton.
PM sent.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sqweak
Incorrect. In CA it's 30 days out of service (combined) OR 4 visits to the shop within the first year of ownership. It doesn't have to all be for the same issue, and it doesn't matter if they fix the issue on day 30 or the 4th visit.

How do I know? I lemoned a BMW 328i last year, in a situation slightly similar to this. The short version is brake failure due to a bad camshaft. (I think resulting in lack of correct vacuum causing the brake booster to fail). I went through many of the same emotions (obviously on a much smaller financial level) then everyone here as the solution was for the top end to be rebuilt by the local dealer. As soon as they knew that was the solution and that the arrival of parts would put them past 30 days in the shop I immediately started buy back discussions.

Granted, I wasn't as attached to the car nor was it hard to get as you guys are dealing with. I initially planned to reorder the next model year or even step up to a 335 to avoid the problem, but after being jerked around and insulted by BMWNA I washed my hands as soon as I got the buyback. Went straight to my p-car dealer and bought a Cayenne Diesel instead, couldn't be happier :P

Nick, I can only imagine the pain and stress you guys are going through, but even you have admitted you've been the drama queen lately. This is a prime example of you speaking authoritively on a subject that you're not an expert on. Please be careful with that
It is rare an arbitrator would deny a manufacturer to repair a car. The 30 day rule is not a hard and fast rule. I compliment you for prevailing. Did you file suit or did BMW just decide to refund your money?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

BTW, can we put a moratorium on litigation talk here on rennlist, particularly on the 991GT3 board?
Sorry, but no. While I agree and support stopping the madness, particularly in talks of suing PCNA for damages etc, I disagree with not talking about Lemon Law.

Lemon Law is not "litigation" in the traditional sense. It is a consumer protection program, usually activated without any use of a lawyer. As it doesn't really require cause or being unhappy with the fix, only specific time/frequency limits are hit, it's worth people knowing the facts on it should they decide to go that route.

Quick Reply: Possiblities?