Porsche 991 GT3 Wrecked In UK With Only 80 Miles On The Clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM
n.dino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 991 GT3 Wrecked In UK With Only 80 Miles On The Clock

http://thesupercarkids.com/porsche-9...s-on-the-clock

This brand new grey Porsche 991 GT3 with only 80 miles on the clock has crashed in the UK, and the carcass is for sale.

The car actually belonged to a Pistonheads member, who took to the site after pictures of the wreckage surfaced. Thankfully, he has reported that everybody involved was uninjured. According to him, he was doing 50mph in a 60mph zone when the car suddenly lost traction and spun into an oncoming vehicle. The impact caused the engine to be ripped out, and the car “was going to roll”, but was halted by a telephone pole.

The ordeal happened a mere 24 hours after the owner picked it up, so it’s a shame that he didn’t get to experience the full potential of the car – especially considering how many awards it won last year; EVO Magazine’s Car of the Year Award and Top Gear’s Richard Hammond’s Car of the Year Award, to name a couple. The owner says he won’t be picking another one up any time soon, despite being offered another build slot by Porsche.

This isn’t the first 991 GT3 to bite the dust lately. Many are bursting into flames without explanation, causing Porsche to cease deliveries until they determine the cause and solve it. The wreckage of this 991 GT3 is for sale here, with the current bid standing at £1,000 (as of when this was written). Check out the original Pistonheads thread here.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by n.dino
According to him, he was doing 50mph in a 60mph zone when the car suddenly lost traction and spun into an oncoming vehicle.
From the owner:

"And just before people go off on one about me driving like an idiot with my daughter in the car, I was doing fifty in a sixty zone in a straight line. The car spun and was hit by an oncoming car which ripped the engine out the GT3 (that ended up about 100 feet away half way up a tree). The four people in the other car had to be cut out but were also luckily okay. The GT3 was going to roll but again luckily hit a telephone pole which stopped it going over (you can see where it hit the pole on the drivers side just in front of the door). I'm not going into details in an open forum of how it happened. The insurance has paid me out in full (although they did keep asking me for the mileage as I don't think they believed me!).

For reasons of my own I'm not willing to discuss the details of the matter. If I knew you and I met you in the pub I would tell you.

I'm purposely being careful with my words as there could be legal implications Please remember this is 6 figure plus insurance claim with an already controversial car involved.

As for the speculation regarding driver error please consider this, the mother of my children was in the car in front of me with my son and another car driven by an individual who was behind me and who kindly waited and gave a statement to the police both witnessed the accident. The police stated it was not my fault. I WILL not for obvious reasons discuss it anymore on here, if anybody doesn't like that then tuff. It isn't their life. The end."

Thankful all are okay.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I understand it was raining at the time and pavement was wet and slippery. Gt3 tires are not designed for those conditions. When encountered, extreme care is required.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Dude-
Pro

Firstly, glad the driver and his family is OK.

Lets do some probability quiz to see if we are all on the same page.

1. What is the probability of a car (any car) to go in a straight line to all of a sudden go side ways. assuming there is no hurricane at the moment and dry roads.
A. constant speed 0
B. decelerating. low depending on how hard you hit the brakes.
C. Accelerating. Medium depending on how hard you hit the accelerator.

2. Wet road
A. constant speed. 0
B. Declerating. medium depending on how hard you hit the brakes
C. Accelerating. Medium to high depending on how hard thou hit the accelerator.

Core question- is the car at fault? or is the driver a fault?

Lets not use this driver as the example because we don't know what happen but use yourself as the driver.

I don't think it take a genius to figure this one out.

Last edited by Dude-; 02-19-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM
frayed
Race Car

Driving in a straight line at 50 mph in a 60 mph zone, even with wet roads and MPSC's, it ain't gonna just swap ends spontaneously. I just do not buy it. Glad nobody was hurt though.

Thought the article was stupid, b/c it put this incident on par with the fires. In other words, insinuating that somehow a design or component defect caused this accident. Booolschit.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Crazy. Glad no injuries or worse. Lucky.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

The only thing I could hypothetically see causing it that wouldnt be the car or driver would be if there was something like oil or antifreeze on the road...but it doesn't seem like thats the case...I drove my 996 gt3 through rain to get to one of my first track events with it when I had it on the older MPSC's and it was fine...now when they got worn...that thing was hairy as hell in the rain...dunno what caused this...
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll take the seats.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Setting aside speculation about the causes and the speed, the serious damage to the car is troubling. I wonder how the car would hold up if wrecked on track at the speeds it's easily capable of.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'll take the seats.
I love it!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ill take the pdk gear lever
Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Maybe it was some sort of autoimmune reaction - the car wanted to expel the defective engine?

Glad no injuries resulted.

I do know that I can break the back end of my GT2 loose in a straight line, on dry pavement, using only my right foot.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

What a gorgeous machine! Despite everything it's being discussed right now about it,I still love its looks.
Even wrecked it looks good
I feel she's like the gorgeous top model wife that,for some reason,you can't have sex with...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Was a beautiful car. Maybe it hydroplaned.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Driving in a straight line at 50 mph in a 60 mph zone, even with wet roads and MPSC's, it ain't gonna just swap ends spontaneously. I just do not buy it. Glad nobody was hurt though.

Thought the article was stupid, b/c it put this incident on par with the fires. In other words, insinuating that somehow a design or component defect caused this accident. Booolschit.
Sorry it will. Happened to me. All I did was give it some gas and it instantly spun going in a straight line with MS cups in heavy rain.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 GT3 Wrecked In UK With Only 80 Miles On The Clock