Sponsored by:

Porsche 991 GT3 Wrecked In UK With Only 80 Miles On The Clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hey wouldn't this make a good start of another conspiracy theory thread? Oh, looks like Manifold may have beat me, and Nick is present too LOL ;-P

The guy and his 4 year old daughter walked out of this without a scratch.

Is the sky a different colour in my world or is this not a good outcome? Before anyone starts to crap on about the handling of the GT3 in the wet or otherwise go see my Youtube videos most of them taken in low temps on cold surfaces often damp and wet. The car is awesome in the wet and dry and speculation otherwise is simply that - BS speculation by folks that have not driven the car.

Hey. .wasn't there a youtube with a slight slide, and sudden video end when it looked like someone got in trouble from a co-pilot.. LOL. thx again for posting. --Anyhow.. This is my first 911 Rear Drive or whatever you call it. --LOL (Was that a German joke .. 911 for US drivers to call for help). I find all these comments useful and learning a lot... the takeaway is.. 'Be very Careful no matter what.' Especially a new 911 driver.. those nanny's don't always kick in on time... -- I drove the car off the truck in Chi 10 Deg F.. and the wheels were Ice Skates. I'm sure TCS was like 'Really Dude!'
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sadly, that is the nature of blogs. We all know that but we still participate. Your contributions are too important for you to excuse yourself from participating. Just turn a blind eye to the post you dislike. Do not allow them to drive you away.
Thanks Nick. Of course you are correct. Will do my best to keep chin up :-)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'll take the seats.
+1! Can we bid on those?

Glad all are ok. Hurts to see a new GT3 dismantled like that
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Hey. .wasn't there a youtube with a slight slide, and sudden video end when it looked like someone got in trouble from a co-pilot.. LOL. thx again for posting. --Anyhow.. This is my first 911 Rear Drive or whatever you call it. --LOL (Was that a German joke .. 911 for US drivers to call for help). I find all these comments useful and learning a lot... the takeaway is.. 'Be very Careful no matter what.' Especially a new 911 driver.. those nanny's don't always kick in on time... -- I drove the car off the truck in Chi 10 Deg F.. and the wheels were Ice Skates. I'm sure TCS was like 'Really Dude!'
LOL Too true. I did get the bitch slap for going sideways, but I was going far quicker than 50 mph (although it was a "balmy" 40F outside). I never drove it hard below 25F tho due to the MPSC2.

Ive already done plenty of research into this accident and for me there is nothing to learn here other than as Forest says "Sh*t happens". Sometime you just make a mistake or the circumstances conspire against you and I believe this was just an unfortunate accident and nothing more.

Like the "fire!" incident, the facts are out there and you will find them if you look and have a little luck with building relationships with a few in the know. Hysterical reporting based on quoting this "blog" in the mainstream media is very poor practice hence I refuse to post on the other thread any longer. I dont care so much about damage to the GT3 reputation I have mine and like 321 others Im just loving it - but the damage to the brand as a whole is disturbing, especially for a guy who has loved Porsche since he was a kid and anyone who posts blatant here-say and hysteria on that thread in my opinion is aiding and abetting in doing the brand no favours at all and destroying all that we have created on this board. Porsche hasntt even had a chance to comment yet. In 1995 if this happened to a new 993 RS (which it did by the way) due to the lack of interweb none of us would be getting our knickers in a twist. It would be nice if people just took stock and had a "think" before they post. I know, too much to ask, but hey, I still love Porsche so will stand by them.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Hey wouldn't this make a good start of another conspiracy theory thread? Oh, looks like Manifold may have beat me, and Nick is present too LOL ;-P

The guy and his 4 year old daughter walked out of this without a scratch.

Is the sky a different colour in my world or is this not a good outcome? Before anyone starts to crap on about the handling of the GT3 in the wet or otherwise go see my Youtube videos most of them taken in low temps on cold surfaces often damp and wet. The car is awesome in the wet and dry and speculation otherwise is simply that - BS speculation by folks that have not driven the car.
Jeez, such drama ...

Point is that this car is fast as hell, but no roll cage, fire suppression system, or other race car safety equipment. For that matter, still can't even get track seats for it in the US, and lots of guys are already driving it fast on US tracks with the regular seats, so no HANS. Then we see a picture of the car after a wreck, albeit with uncertain circumstances, and the damage is really bad. Should an owner or prospective owner be concerned? I certainly am.

Regarding the tires, I had no problem driving the Dunlop SMR on wet roads, and I thought the MSPC2 were supposed to be comparable. So I'm doubtful about the bad tire hypothesis.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Damage. Bad? Are you kidding me. The engine separated from the chassis just as its designed to do in such an impact. Passenger cell 100% intact. Rear window blown (common 911 response to chasis twist). Without the facts, again we waste binary data.

When does your 991 GT3 arrive Manifold? Or was that for the blanked "prospective" part? Perhaps you should be concerned about driving any car - as Im sure I can post a worse wreak (with absolutely no substantiated information) about any model of car you wish to choose? What does your neighbour drive? Your wife? Common man. whose comments here are more obtuse - mine or yours?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

....we see a picture of the car after a wreck, albeit with uncertain circumstances, and the damage is really bad. Should an owner or prospective owner be concerned? I certainly am....
the worse the damage to the car, the less the shock is transmitted to the soft stuff inside , like brains, spines, arteries, hearts, airways/ lungs , livers, kidneys, bladders .....
That's how moderm cars meet today's crash standards , by crumpling up to the edge of the passenger cell. I would be worried about the opposite.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Damage. Bad? Are you kidding me. The engine separated from the chassis just as its designed to do in such an impact. Passenger cell 100% intact. Rear window blown (common 911 response to chasis twist). Without the facts, again we waste binary data.
Originally Posted by MKW
the worse the damage to the car, the less the shock is transmitted to the soft stuff inside , like brains, spines, arteries, hearts, airways/ lungs , livers, kidneys, bladders .....
That's how moderm cars meet today's crash standards , by crumpling up to the edge of the passenger cell.
Valid points, passenger cell being intact is a big positive, and I understand the part about energy absorption, having designed impact energy absorption systems myself (not for cars). But if that damage was due to a 50 mph accident, that still looks bad to me.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The car was not travelling at 50mph when it hit the immoveable object that separated the engine from the chassis and threw the engine 100 feet half way up a tree. Try it with a Pirius. They had to cut the occupants of the other car out. Id say the GT3 did pretty well.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

- but the damage to the brand as a whole is disturbing, especially for a guy who has loved Porsche since he was a kid and anyone who posts blatant here-say and hysteria on that thread in my opinion is aiding and abetting in doing the brand no favours at all and destroying all that we have created on this board. Porsche hasntt even had a chance to comment yet. ..... I know, too much to ask, but hey, I still love Porsche so will stand by them.
---
"Leaders live and die, empires rise and fall, and sports teams hop from city to city, but three things in life remain constant: death, taxes, and the Porsche 911 Turbo tacked in poster form to the bedroom walls of teenagers across the globe"
---
Literally true. started in 1931 with Volkswagen Beetle I guess..

Yes, I loved Porsche ever since being a kid. and NOW finally have one. I'm sure they will survive these futile attempts.. --
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKW
That's how moderm cars meet today's crash standards , by crumpling up to the edge of the passenger cell. I would be worried about the opposite.
-- Yep, the F1 cars don't look to good after a crash either,but the drivers seem to survive pretty good these days.. --We are the beneficiaries of many tragic events.. Is it even fair?.. who knows but, I sure feel much safer. -- Just hope it don't come down to Porsche going to court for some Bystander getting hit in the head with an Engine.. ('find the successful hard working people with money and promote legislation to get them').
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM
frayed
Race Car

Jesus a bunch of internet collision experts and conspiracy theorists. I guess there *could* have been something wrong the car, but occam's razor rules here: operator error.

I was gonna chime in with a longer post but Macca seems to have it covered.

Anyway, while I'm pissed that my car isn't here, much less shipped, and I'm pissed about the way PAG has failed to communicate the issue directly to waiting buyers, let's not get carried away about a spinout that resulted in hitting oncoming traffic totaling a brand new GT3.

And understand this. . . it was like a 100 mph accident since the drive hit oncoming traffic.

Geesh.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
+1! Can we bid on those?
You can!
http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/individua...Type=onSaleNow

Unfortunately, it looks like the thorax airbags were blown. I'm out.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

in the wet on cold tires the GT3 can do strange things….

The steering wheel on the wrong side might have something to do with it

Good to see everybody is ok.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it amazing that Porsche hasn't yet identified the cause of fires in the numerous (2) GT3s but figured out exactly what went wrong with this car to offer him a replacement right away.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 GT3 Wrecked In UK With Only 80 Miles On The Clock