Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearplex windshield protector

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

^ 4 mil is fine( actually thought it would be thicker) - Just as a reference; the stone guard on our cars that come equipped on wheel wells are 8 mil
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nick, its only $300. My .2GT3 had bunch of nicks so I am doing this and will replace it if needed after few yrs. I had to change my windshield on my TT and it was never the same. Heard wind noises. Many attempts were made to fix the air leak w/o success. I went in today and after two hrs they told me the size of the shield was wrong. Have to go back on Fri again. Frustrating.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ClearPlexKen
I don't want to step outside of my boundaries but I am the National distributor for ClearPlex and can assist with any questions.

Ken
An experienced installer is pushing this line of product flavors for sport car usage:
http://www.braygroup.com/

Any difference in the products?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^^^Midwest just did my Clear bra. Good choice. They are very good at their craft
Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by luvair
An experienced installer is pushing this line of product flavors for sport car usage:
http://www.braygroup.com/

Any difference in the products?
I had the Bray installed, but its very tricky. It takes a week for it to fully cure. Mine had a few water drops trapped under the film, so it needed to be redone. He got it perfect on the third attempt, but melted the film trying to get it properly seated! Bray is introducing a custom fit film specifically for the 991, which will make the install much easier. I had the installer remove the film and will try again once the custom cut film is available. Meanwhile I got a small rock chip this weekend!
Optically the product is superior, pretty much perfect and it works great. An experienced installer of the product is essential.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. The guy who did my Xpel Ultimate told me he had customers come back in after getting ClearPlex for the windshield and ask for it to be removed because it obscured the view very slightly. One guy claimed it gave him a headache. Anyway, he recommended against it after I asked for it - when a shop suggests you don't spend money, they genuinely believe there is a problem with the product.

Having said that, it took me about 10 days to chip my windshield and $80 to get it glued - Porsches...
Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I just got charged $399 for ClearPlex installed on my 6GT3 in CT after replacing the windshield. Looks like everyone here got it for less.

There are a few smudges between the plex and the windshield. The installer says they will "burn off" after some time in the sun -- which didn't sound too convincing -- but he'll re-install it if they don't.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:42 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by ClearPlexKen
I don't want to step outside of my boundaries but I am the National distributor for ClearPlex and can assist with any questions.

Ken
Ken, give the RL team a great deal on group buy DIY kit? I am getting mine done this Friday so I will miss the group buy. I can provide feedback after the job.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I am very interested in the Clearplex. I was looking at my GT3 this morning as I left for work and did not realize how large the windshield is
Old 08-27-2014, 01:21 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Interesting. The guy who did my Xpel Ultimate told me he had customers come back in after getting ClearPlex for the windshield and ask for it to be removed because it obscured the view very slightly. One guy claimed it gave him a headache. Anyway, he recommended against it after I asked for it - when a shop suggests you don't spend money, they genuinely believe there is a problem with the product.

Having said that, it took me about 10 days to chip my windshield and $80 to get it glued - Porsches...
They told me the same thing (same shop). But I also already got a chip in my windshield (in the 1st 1,000km). Fortunately it was repairable but I’m sure it won’t be the last so would like to hear some real world reviews on ClearPlex.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I think the consensus is that it makes sense to put it on if you track the car five days or more a year, especially in the faster run groups where Hoosiers and slicks from cars in front propel a lot of rocks at you. Probably an overkill if not tracking.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 AM
tripleblack
Racer

^ This. I've used it for a few years and am currently having it installed on another car. ClearPlex defends against the many small hits and prevents the "windshield sparkle/sandblast" often seen on cars that have been tracked, run on dirt(y) roads, or in states like OR (cool as it is) where they throw grit on the roads in winter.

Other comments in the spirit of a clear picture (pun intended):
- ClearPlex will not prevent all damage: On one occasion a 2" hose clamp projected from the inner tire of the car ahead was too much for it. On another, a larger stone was sufficient to do the trick.
- The film can be scratched if there is grit on the windshield and the wipers are activated without water. Dust is ok but grit with edges will leave a mark (does not "self-heal" like Xpel). It has happened to me only once.
- The film is visible to the driver, and one of mine has a light vertical "line" when looked for carefully. That said, I no longer notice the layer and regard it as a consumable.
- A few years ago the local installed price was ~$200. I was just quoted $350 and have not yet figured out if its the (new) installer or the cost of the ClearPlex that has increased so dramatically.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited by tripleblack; 08-28-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by tripleblack
^ This. I've used it for a few years and am currently having it installed on another car. ClearPlex defends against the many small hits and prevents the "windshield sparkle/sandblast" often seen on cars that have been tracked, run on dirt(y) roads, or in states like OR (cool as it is) where they throw grit on the roads in winter.

Other comments in the spirit of a clear picture (pun intended):
- ClearPlex will not prevent all damage: On one occasion a 2" hose clamp projected from the inner tire of the car ahead was too much for it. On another, a larger stone was sufficient to do the trick.
- The film can be scratched if there is grit on the windshield and the wipers are activated without water. Dust is ok but grit with edges will leave a mark (does not "self-heal" like Xpel). It has happened to me only once.
- The film is visible to the driver, and one of mine has a light vertical "line" when looked for carefully. That said, I no longer notice the layer and regard it as a consumable.
- A few years ago the local installed price was ~$200. I was just quoted $350 and have not yet figured out if its the (new) installer or the cost of the ClearPlex that has increased so dramatically.

As always, YMMV.
This is great info - can you expand on your experience with the visibility of the film? How visible, refraction, distortion, etc? There are a number of us that are on the fence about simply replacing the windshield every year or two or getting this treatment.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Windshield is now protected as well and the Track Logic Motorsport guy's did a fantastic job. From inside of the car you can not tell there is a film on the windshield. They asked for 72 hr cure time. Ken Brown is the master Clear Plex in charge and he said to call him up if you guys want to do a group buy with the DIY kit. PM me if you need his phone #. They are class acts just like Alex of Shawrkwerk. My car is now ready for battle

No affiliation with Track logic Motorsports.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM
ClearPlexKen
3rd Gear

Silverrules... I am glad you are happy with the product and that you experience was good with our shop.

I am more that happy to offer up a group buy on the "Self Install Kit". Not sure what the rules are with the site but lets see what we can do.

Ken

Quick Reply: Clearplex windshield protector