Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Macca, please call up your contacts and find out if our cars are going back for repair or it will be fixed at the dealer or at PDI. At least I have the .2 to keep me going until all this is hashed out.This is not good for Porsche.
Mate, rest assured its a PDI repair. Its only affected the more recent cars (prior to that the parts appear to have been fine), and I suspect the reason it showed up in Switzerland is that unlike most markets that car was probably in the hands of the new owner within 14 days of production, not on a boat for 4 weeks! Im not 100% sure of the amount of time it takes a tech to replace the bracket and bolts but I expect PCNA will need a week or two to cover all cars on the latest shipments at point of PDI although obviously these will start to flow as soon as work is completed. I understand PAG are having QC issues across the product range due to suppliers so its not an isolated GT3 incident (like the Thermostat). They certainly have some work to do in this area!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Ok Mike,you sure have a rich imagination

But I guess that scenario is possible...

I suppose so! The point is, that a loose/failed bracket could result in vibration, unwanted contact, and subsequent failure of an oil line.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-12-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike, I dont believe your car will be affected but ask you dealer on Monday when the news will have filtered down to him...
Thanks Macca. I sent my SA an e-mail earlier today but have yet to hear anything; maybe it's too soon as you say....
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

As I mentioned in an earlier post last night on another thread the oil cooler retaining bolts have been suspected of being linked to the Swiss fire and hence the Stop/Sale for cars on the water. The issue affects later production cars not earlier ones (there is a parts production cut off date). Its a precaution but the bolts/bracket will be changed before cars are delivered to customers. PAG obviously have some QC issues right now across their model platforms and need to kick their suppliers into shape. Mike, I dont believe your car will be affected but ask you dealer on Monday when the news will have filtered down to him...
Why would it only affect later production cars? Did they change the bolts/brackets on later cars and if so why?

Really a strange situation. Different problems for different production dates. Does not make sense.
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Mate, rest assured its a PDI repair. Its only affected the more recent cars (prior to that the parts appear to have been fine), and I suspect the reason it showed up in Switzerland is that unlike most markets that car was probably in the hands of the new owner within 14 days of production, not on a boat for 4 weeks! Im not 100% sure of the amount of time it takes a tech to replace the bracket and bolts but I expect PCNA will need a week or two to cover all cars on the latest shipments at point of PDI although obviously these will start to flow as soon as work is completed. I understand PAG are having QC issues across the product range due to suppliers so its not an isolated GT3 incident (like the Thermostat). They certainly have some work to do in this area!
Thanks, Macca.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Ok Mike,you sure have a rich imagination

But I guess that scenario is possible...

Actually as I understand it Mikes explanation is pretty much spot on!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
Why would it only affect later production cars? Did they change the bolts/brackets on later cars and if so why?

Really a strange situation. Different problems for different production dates. Does not make sense.
Actually Nick, all the parts for Porsche products are made JIT. Its a supply chain management and QC piece. The bolt and bracket design have not changed, however the parts are supplied as built and made in batches by supplier likewise so there may have been an issue with their the quality of the later componentry. All I can tell you is that the issue affects later production vehicles and is a simple fix. The "engine related component" statement is a little misleading. As I understand it, in effect its a much smaller job than replacing the Thermostat (which requires full evacuation of the coolant).

Its funny. Excuse my tounge in cheek. I have to have a giggle here uin my hammock. I live on a small coral island in the middle of the pacific linked by a satellite to a thread hosted in the greatest nation on earth and Im giving you guys the facts.....somethings wrong LOL!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Macca. I can calm down now. Hopefully by time the ship gets to the SD port the parts are waiting.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

redundant info
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

FWIW, the announcement today by Porsche to its dealers does not specify the issue other than to say it related to engine quality issues. If Porsche has identified the problem and the fix why place a stop sale order especially if this matter can be corrected in PDI? The dealer would not get the car until cleared by PDI.

Now I do understand some may have clear PDI but those could have been on a case be case basis. Not that many cars have recently cleared PDI.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nick. Keep your panties on. There is more information to follow to your dealer. He will have it shortly (actually probably next week given the US dealers seem to get this information later than ROW).

The Stop Sale is simply a precaution to ensure any car that has exited PDI and is in transit to dealer or from dealer to customer is quarantined until the parts are replaced (if it is an affected VIN number).

You do not have to believe the authenticity of my information but I can tell you its 100% correct :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Actually Nick, all the parts for Porsche products are made JIT. Its a supply chain management and QC piece. The bolt and bracket design have not changed, however the parts are supplied as built and made in batches by supplier likewise so there may have been an issue with their the quality of the later componentry. All I can tell you is that the issue affects later production vehicles and is a simple fix. The "engine related component" statement is a little misleading. As I understand it, in effect its a much smaller job than replacing the Thermostat (which requires full evacuation of the coolant).

Its funny. Excuse my tounge in cheek. I have to have a giggle here uin my hammock. I live on a small coral island in the middle of the pacific linked by a satellite to a thread hosted in the greatest nation on earth and Im giving you guys the facts.....somethings wrong LOL!
Macca, I do believe you but you still are thousands of miles from Germany. Yo do make me feel better.

I love it! Nothing like the global information age.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

mate, its what this is all about. Helping each other have a better time of it LOL!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Macca -- Thanks for setting my mind at ease. Okay. Now I can once again breathe in...and out...and in...and out.

Whew.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You boys are funny. You havent even got your car yet. Imagine how sphincter puckering it would be to be driving one of the "affected" cars this weekend on track for example....

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?