Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Nick, isn't the issue whether it can be fixed at either the port PDI or the dealer, or if it would require some other solution?

Many issues are taken care of during the PDI at the ports of delivery. If I were a dealer, I would much rather have any holds on cars take place at the ports since the dealer gets invoiced for the car when but not until it leaves the port.
Good point but they must also deal with the cars already delivered. So if the problem involves all cars and Porsche is trying to decide if the dealer can repair then the problem is more complex then we know.

Also, I don't believe PDI has the facilities or time that a dealer has.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It still could have been an early production model.....but as I said I was just speculating. It's not like we have enough data to do much of anything else at this point.
True...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Good point but they must also deal with the cars already delivered. So if the problem involves all cars and Porsche is trying to decide if the dealer can repair then the problem is more complex then we know.

The statement released from Porsche quoted earlier in this thread states:

"Effective immediately and until further notice, delivery of any new 2014 911 GT3 units must be suspended. This Stop Sale action is being taken in order to investigate a quality issue that potentially exists with the engine of the subject vehicles. While additional details are not readily available, please know this matter is of the highest priority in the Porsche organization. "

Has there been additional information that Porsche is evaluating if the repair can be accomplished by the dealers?

Ryan
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Fair enough.

With respect to the car mentioned by pietrostone, though, I thought he said that it had already caught fire. If that is the case, then repairing it is likely considerably more complex than making preventative repairs to cars that haven't yet had problems.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eilig
Although that would make perfectly good sense, one of the posters mentioned that it had happened to a car in Italy that had only 60 kilometers on the odometer... Assuming this is indeed true, it would seem to render your hypothesis as incorrect...

This is going to be interesting...
Where was it posted that another car or cars had a fire ?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ryan -- earlier in this thread, @pietrostone gave a detailed account of a member of Porsche Club Campania (Italy), whose car caught fire after a low oil warning light.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Ryan -- earlier in this thread, @pietrostone gave a detailed account of a member of Porsche Club Campania (Italy), whose car caught fire after a low oil warning light.
Wow .. thanks. Totally missed that.

Ryan
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by pietrostone
It seems that problem was an oil cooler support bracket

^^^This. We definitely need a more detailed answer!
I just don't see how an oil cooler support bracket would have anything to do with an engine catching fire...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Anyone know why a stop sale has been issued today on the GT3?
Brian,
do you know if a GT3 "sales stop" also halts/delays cars that are about to enter the production line? Or does PAG continue to produce then stockpile the cars 'out back' until they are fixed/cleared for sale?
tia
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
^^^This. We definitely need a more detailed answer!
I just don't see how an oil cooler support bracket would have anything to do with an engine catching fire...
Bracket comes loose....oil cooler flops around or allows oil line to come into contact with something it shouldn't.....line fails spilling oil.....oil pressure drops as described in earlier post....oil catches fire on hot manifold or whatever....bingo!

FWIW, the oil/water heat exchanger is right next to the sump and not far from some very hot exhaust components. And it's covered up by the engine undertray/diffuser so oil could pool and become trapped......
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Macca, please call up your contacts and find out if our cars are going back for repair or it will be fixed at the dealer or at PDI. At least I have the .2 to keep me going until all this is hashed out.This is not good for Porsche.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

If it is a bracket issue it could be a defective bracket OR a defective bracket DESIGN. If design, this could open a whole new can of worms.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As I mentioned in an earlier post last night on another thread the oil cooler retaining bolts have been suspected of being linked to the Swiss fire and hence the Stop/Sale for cars on the water. The issue affects later production cars not earlier ones (there is a parts production cut off date). Its a precaution but the bolts/bracket will be changed before cars are delivered to customers. PAG obviously have some QC issues right now across their model platforms and need to kick their suppliers into shape. Mike, I dont believe your car will be affected but ask you dealer on Monday when the news will have filtered down to him...
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Bracket comes loose....oil cooler flops around or allows oil line to come into contact with something it shouldn't.....line fails spilling oil.....oil pressure drops as described in earlier post....oil catches fire on hot manifold or whatever....bingo! FWIW, the oil/water heat exchanger is right next to the sump and not far from some very hot exhaust components. And it's covered up by the engine undertray/diffuser so oil could pool and become trapped......
Ok Mike,you sure have a rich imagination

But I guess that scenario is possible...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

If it is a bracket issue it could be a defective bracket OR a defective bracket DESIGN. If design, this could open a whole new can of worms.
Anything's possible, but I would think Porsche could, if necessary, redesign a freaking bracket in pretty short order! They might even have some sort of temporary fix until new brackets were fabricated if it comes to that.

I hope it's something that simple.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?