Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got an update from my source and it implies that other manufactures have petitioned against Porsche for not disclosing the actual HP rating of 495HP which is a direct violation to article 9 "hp inflation" of the Auto Union Agreement. The brackets installed which are failing were only rated at 475HP with a flash point of 350 degrees while the proper brackets should be at 500hp and 400 degrees. The bracket supplier is claiming no fault to this issue because they were provided with the wrong specs.
This is a very serious issue because you can not have 475hp cars beat up on 600hp cars. It just does not look good.
In the meantime, the general public is encouraged to visit Rennlist and participate to pressure porsche to come clean.

My source is the internet, it must be true.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^Finally.....some straight scoop....
Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Btw guys, Jessica Biel left JT for me. Thought you guys should know that too.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Arth
Racer

Just spent the day at the GT3 Middle East cup race where a top manager of the UAE dealer was present. He is a good friend of mine so I asked him about the issues with the newly delivered cars that were on hold. His response was:

Right now there are 6 cars held up in the service center that can't be delivered.

The only information they have was that right now it is a software issue and has nothing to do with hardware.

Cars that have been delivered are fine and do not have this problem. This was just a bad batch of cars( around 30 cars) So what they mean is that cars delivered before or cars that are yet to be produced or under production will not have this issue.

They don't know yet what the software issue is but they will have more information come Monday.

This is not to say that later next week porsche might not relay a bulletin saying a hardware issue is present , but for now there is no such information from porsche. Just software.

I'll follow up on Monday and post any extra information I get.

They expect the held up cars to be ready for delivery next week to awaiting customers.

Let's hope this information from porsche Germany is accurate and previously delivered cars will not have to be recalled , but he was insistent that owners already having received their cars should not worry. Just some unlucky customers who got a bad batch.

All this might turn out to be not true, or Incomplete but so far all information I have received from them usually pans out to be true.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@Arth -- Thanks for your help with this, greatly appreciated!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

C'mon, Arth. Where's the drama in that post? No total drivetrain replacement rumors? No pictures of flaming cars? No unsubstantiated speculation? Your post is far below the high standard of reportage we've already established here in this thread!

(Seriously, thanks for the info, it's appreciated.... )
Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Got this @ Pistonheads:

"Gents the story as I have it from PAG contact is that a substandard batch of the the oil cooler/exchanger retain bolts and brackets are the cause for this issue. The Swiss fire I believe triggered the investigation. This has only affected cars built in the 2014 production weeks. My week 47 2013 build ROW car is clear as are most of the cars that are already in customers hands. The fault has been evident in markets closest to Germany where the car has been produced and then delivered shortly after and the fire issue manifets itself almost immediately. I understand there have been a couple of incidences. The factory have put a stop sale on any car in transit to an overseas port for retro fitting of the new bolts/bracket and this will be performed over a few weeks this creating some slight delays. Porsche are having some supply chain QC related issues across all platforms right now and are working hard to ensure these do not repeat. Very few cars in customers hands will be affected and all those with affected VINs will have received a call from PAG very shortly. Its obviously not great press but a batch of faulty bolts isnt a epidemic."
Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe just a cup holder recall.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^Thank you, MJones.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Haha. @mjones -- Macca posted that at PH.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that matches up to my salesman's comment that the stop sale only applied to current cars waiting delivery and not to new production at the plant. I received confirm of my May European delivery this past Wednesday with no delays.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

This is the notice that Porsche sent out to the dealers;

There may be a "quality issue that potentially exists with the engines of the subject vehicles" "Additional details are not readily available".

Does this sound like a software problem?????.

The problem is Porsche's communications on the subject has been abysmal. If they don't know what the problem is they should just say so. I am puzzled as to why many of you are so trusting of the "new" Porsche. It is a profit making machine which is growing much faster than their own projections. Quality is suffering. Will they make it right? Probably but I have litigated enough cases to know big companies protect their asses often at the expense of the customer.

I may be an alarmist but I have learned long ago when delayed vague or none sspecific communications come from a company about one of their products a red flag should go up.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Dude-
Pro

Nick would it make you feel better if it reads:

"There may be an issue with the engine. We do not know what the issue is."

Im not sure if thats what I want to hear.

I agree that more info should be available and Perhaps it may be better if they said.

" This is an issue with the bracket and bolt, we are addressing this issue and the few vehicles affected will be notify immediately."

There may be a few moving parts to this so maybe they are being safe in making the general statements.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

MJones. Yes that was me on Pistonheads.

Nick stop being a drama queen. Honestly. I have the dealer communication and the bit you are missing is the confidential balance of the transcript explaining its a oil cooler bracket and retaining bolt and that it will need dealer replacement at PDI.

I think I will take a holiday from these boards for a few weeks. The level of hysteria is ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

I think I will take a holiday from these boards for a few weeks. The level of hysteria is ridiculous.
I agree, so much hyperbole and so few facts....I'm waiting for a May delivery car. I'm not concerned in the least.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?