Sponsored by:

Reverse Camera and Parking Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Geez...is that why the GT3 should have a backup camera?!
Well, it is the reason the next model might have it.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com..._New_Vehicles/
Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
Well, it is the reason the next model might have it. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com..._New_Vehicles/
Well,I don't do politics,but wondering...is it made by the same clowns whom are being stiff about the sport buckets?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I can't see anything when I try to back up in my Boxster with the top up. If I can't find a reliable aftermarket backup camera, it will probably lead me to sell/trade it. It's simply not safe. Of course, I'll never own a GT3 since I don't need or want what it can do, but I just don't feel less manly when I can see what's behind me when I'm backing up, whether its because there's adequate glass or a functioning camera.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

My apologies if anyone thought I'm leading the discussion towards someone's manhood...far from me.
I believe it is more about value : Porsche is making a lot of money on options. Some are must have but most are a waste of money IMO. Especially if you're going to end up trading the car in 2 years with a huge loss.
So you're speccing a nice fully loaded car for the next guy. Some see a backup camera as a must have,I don't...to each his own...
Even more so being a GT3...
How do you want your strippers? Naked right? They're not fun with clothes on... That's how I would spec this car...just like I would " spec " a stripper. :icon507:
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Even the new C7.R racecar has a rearview camera:

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
My apologies if anyone thought I'm leading the discussion towards someone's manhood...far from me.
I believe it is more about value : Porsche is making a lot of money on options. Some are must have but most are a waste of money IMO. Especially if you're going to end up trading the car in 2 years with a huge loss.
So you're speccing a nice fully loaded car for the next guy. Some see a backup camera as a must have,I don't...to each his own...
Even more so being a GT3...
How do you want your strippers? Naked right? They're not fun with clothes on... That's how I would spec this car...just like I would " spec " a stripper. :icon507:
I think this debate gets to the polarity of the GT3 in general - some view it as a kick *** car that they will track occasionally (that's me) and others buy it mostly for the track with little street use. If I were buying it to be mostly a track weapon, I agree the reverse camera is not necessary. But I plan to drive it 2-3 days per week, and be leaving at times when kids are up and about. And I'm willing to forego a bit of the track panache in exchange for a bit more safety.

But I can see both sides of the argument very clearly. There are other non track options I got - carbon illuminated door sills, for example... what can I say? I think they are cool.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

No worries sgroer,enjoy whatever you want,there's no right or wrong here IMO.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Depends on what you want - an intelligent car, or an intelligent driver.
Originally Posted by timothymoffat
This. So much of this technology encourages laziness on the part of the driver.
Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I get it. Unfortunately I'm a firm believer that there are simply too many distractions in today's cars. Heavy reliance on electronics and electronic devices to "save us" results in people becoming less aware of their circumstances and surroundings when driving. In other words, if people would put down/turn off the phone/DVD/camera/satnav/fridge/whatever and pay attention to the job at hand, we'd be better off. Driving should NOT be part of multitasking.
I agree 100 percent.
It should be an option, not a regulation. Period.

Quick Reply: Reverse Camera and Parking Sensors?