Sponsored by:

Newbie CL question

Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
skuplist,

1. Simply go to the Porsche dealer and ask to be trained in how to do so. They will. You can also ask that they demo a removal and install.

2. When you drive up to Dallas let me know and I will personally show you on my car or yours.

Walt
You are on! I go up to Dallas quite often. When do you get your car?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I think it will be. I read all the CL post's here and on the 997 GT3 board before I got the car. All the stuff about the caps, locking pins, etc. seemed very abstract. But once you remove the caps and see the locking pin the mystery around that part disappears. It may take more work and attention to detail than before, but like anything else I suspect the rest of the process will also become less mysterious once you get your hands on it.
Yes I think it will. Right now all I have is my GT3 center lock hockey puck gift from Porsche to look at!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Yes I think it will. Right now all I have is my GT3 center lock hockey puck gift from Porsche to look at!
haha...yeah, it's not quite the same thing is it....
Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
I had trouble opening it. What would I do with a real CL?

FWIW, very few in the military pack their own chutes. Urban myth.

I think it is a good idea to know how the CL work and be able to inspect but the actual doing I will leave to those TRAINED to do so.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ things changed.
i lived with two airborne rangers who did the first gulf tour. both pack own, so they told me. and the ammo they keep in their rooms (we were in grad school) was scary. they had to show me how to use them if someone broke in to our place hahaha. one was a westpoint grad.

back to regular program, nick, belive me. you dont have to do it yourself, but you sure as hell NEED to know how to do it so you will know if it is done right or not.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kosmo
I check my CL almost daily and its working just fine.....
it's not installed right.
i see no grease.
it will fall off your desk no doubt.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tmg57
Actually, I had a CL car and now it's gone but that's a story for another day. I didn't say you DO NOT have to check your own CL's, I said you SHOULD NOT have to be a mechanic with special tools to check them. With five lug wheels, I, and I assume almost everyone else in the world, drive away from the dealer without worrying about the wheels. When I go to the track, checking the lug nuts is a simple procedure with a basic tool that everyone understands. If you read my earlier post in this thread, you would see that I questioned the purpose and value of CL's. This lengthy technical discussion only confirms my opinion.
yes, you are right. i read too fast and my comprehension is elementary at best.

i just get frustrated with this CL thing. it's a good engineering feat i am sure, but most ppl dont pay too much attention to it and when you least expecting it, it failes.

we can all point fingers, but if my wheel fell off on the freeway, canyon carving, or on track, it's my luck on the line... i dont like to tempt fate.

not intended to debate with you. i see your point is same as mine. i just wanted to let others know.

and as you said, the fact we have several pages just on this supposedly "simple" item, shows that it is not so simple.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:30 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
yes, you are right. i read too fast and my comprehension is elementary at best.

i just get frustrated with this CL thing. it's a good engineering feat i am sure, but most ppl dont pay too much attention to it and when you least expecting it, it failes.

we can all point fingers, but if my wheel fell off on the freeway, canyon carving, or on track, it's my luck on the line... i dont like to tempt fate.

not intended to debate with you. i see your point is same as mine. i just wanted to let others know.

and as you said, the fact we have several pages just on this supposedly "simple" item, shows that it is not so simple.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie CL question