Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
+1 Let's hope AP continues to follow thru on his comments to widen the divergence between base GT3 and RS.
Nizer , Much better avatar than your last , that last one was certainly a sad day, sure hope that wasn't your car!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder when the automotive press will interview, in an official capacity, an officer at PAG/VAG in regards to the future of their NA sports cars. Will there be exceptions for low production vehicles? Use of carbon credits? Fleet averages? How can other mfg's continue to produce NA and Supercharged cars for the forseeable future? Vettes, Mustangs, Huracans, 370Z's, etc... Heck, even trucks.

All of this in relation to the 'talk' of the 991 GT3/RS to be the last of the NA line. With speculation that the '992' GT3 will be turbo, or hybrid, or both.

I understand why things are going turbo and/or hybrid. But will there be exceptions? Why no firm answer as yet, or is it just too soon for anyone, even officially, to know for sure?

Any suggestions for who is the best fit in the media I can contact to pose such a question in order to be relayed to someone in the know?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Let's imagine I won't.
PM sent to indulge some hypotheticals
Old 08-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
I wonder when the automotive press will interview, in an official capacity, an officer at PAG/VAG in regards to the future of their NA sports cars. Will there be exceptions for low production vehicles? Use of carbon credits? Fleet averages? How can other mfg's continue to produce NA and Supercharged cars for the forseeable future? Vettes, Mustangs, Huracans, 370Z's, etc... Heck, even trucks.

All of this in relation to the 'talk' of the 991 GT3/RS to be the last of the NA line. With speculation that the '992' GT3 will be turbo, or hybrid, or both.

I understand why things are going turbo and/or hybrid. But will there be exceptions? Why no firm answer as yet, or is it just too soon for anyone, even officially, to know for sure?

Any suggestions for who is the best fit in the media I can contact to pose such a question in order to be relayed to someone in the know?
Probably way too early for anything 100% definitive from the manufacturer; Georg Kacher is likely the best connected journalist (who writes for English-speaking audiences anyway).
Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Nizer , Much better avatar than your last , that last one was certainly a sad day, sure hope that wasn't your car!
Nope not mine and yeah I like the new one better too. Ryan Dalziel taking the Round 11 win in the GT3R on slicks in the pouring rain. Of course he got lucky or smart with flags depending on your view but he backed it up with a clean win from pole the next day in Round 12. Well deserved after the St. Pete snafu.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:53 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That must have been fun on slicks.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nash
Fair enough, I haven't driven those yet. I assumed they did not come in my fitment as Tire Rack doesn't stock the rear size, strangely. According to Michelin's website, it does exist.
Nash - MPSC 2's in N-spec, standard fit (245/35 & 325/30 N0) for 7.2 GT3 RS are now available this side of the pond...

Had a set installed on my RS last week...positive (but pls allow as premature) initial impressions...

cf.: http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/mich...ot-sport-cup-2
(The Size & Labelling Classes tab lists the sizing options)

Hence, would have thought soon available for the US.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Do you think if I gave Grant an offer he can't refuse. He'd sell?

What do you think that offer would be?
A million dollars. At least.

Did AP quit?

Originally Posted by GrantG
PM sent to indulge some hypotheticals
Its invaluable.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

991 gt3 RS will be October.
Supposedly the 991 gt3 will get some form of soft re launch given the engine debacle is almost over.

GT4 is PDK-S only, detuned 3.8 engine

My sources are good
Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Sorry it's March. My sources are good too. But, I hope you are right. Allan
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My source concur on first point as previously stated (Paris).

A soft relaunch of the 991 GT3 makes alot of sense - possibly at same show. This would guarantee/indicate new MY2015 production slots. If this information is correct then PAG have made the decision to continue with GT3 production which sounds reasonable.

I have no info on GT4. based on your source I would suspect sub 400 bhp headline power.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
an older cheery to add to the collection would be nice.
We should talk. You should drive both my '69s at some point, though I suspect you're thinking something newer. One of them will be too slow for you: 180 hp and 2000 lbs, but I guarantee it'll put a simile on your face. The other will be too fast, and I'm not sure if you'll still be smiling...

I wonder when the automotive press will interview, in an official capacity, an officer at PAG/VAG in regards to the future of their NA sports cars. Will there be exceptions for low production vehicles? Use of carbon credits? Fleet averages? ...

I strongly suspect that you'll either get normally aspirated with hybrid or turbo, but not normally aspirated alone, and probably not manual transmissions. It seems a question of when, not if. If I get a chance I will certainly ask...
Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

You should drive both my '69s at some point, though I suspect you're thinking something newer. One of them will be too slow for you: 180 hp and 2000 lbs, but I guarantee it'll put a simile on your face. The other will be too fast, and I'm not sure if you'll still be smiling...
LOL; Quote of the day and an great visual of Mooty driving VS hanging on to the relics :-)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Bear in mind that there's lots of flexibility built into meeting CAFE standards. See here for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...e_Fuel_Economy

Among the options, Porsche could always opt to pay the penalty for the relatively low-production run GT3 series and pass it on to buyer. This is a pretty small hit under today's rules:

"Currently, the CAFE penalty is $55 USD per vehicle for every 1 mpg under the standard. For the year 2006 Mercedes-Benz drew a $30.3 million penalty for violating fuel economy standards by 2.2 MPG,[89] or $122 per vehicle.[90] According to the government "fueleconomy.gov" website violating CAFE by 2.42 MPG means consuming extra 27 barrels (4.3 m3) (1,134 US gallons (4,290 L)) of mostly imported fuel in 10 years which is worth $3,490 (Based on 45% highway, 55% city driving, 15,000 annual miles and a fuel price of $2.95 per gallon) that is 13.4% more and also it means emitting extra 14 Tons of CO2 in 10 years that is 12.7% more. These numbers are based on comparison of 2010 Mercedes ML 350 4MATIC with CAFE Unadjusted Average Fuel Economy of 21.64 MPG (this model meets 2006 CAFE requirements of 21.6 MPG) and 2010 Mercedes ML 550 4MATIC with CAFE Unadjusted Average Fuel Economy of 19.22 MPG.[91] So consuming extra $3,490 worth of mostly imported fuel and emitting extra 14 Tons of CO2 draws a penalty of only $122 for a single luxury car buyer. $122 is only 0.3% of the price of $40,000 car (average 2010 price of a luxury car). Several experts stated that this is not enough of a monetary incentive to comply with CAFE.[88]"

I don't think that's the route Porsche will go as it's pretty clear they're keen to embrace hybrid technology as evidenced by the GT3 R Hybrid, 918 and the 919. On this front I expect to see hybrid technology eventually make it's way into the GT3 series. I'm less convinced regarding the adoption of turbocharging, at least for the next five years. It goes against the GT3 ethos and also encroaches on 911 Turbo territory.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Hybrid is more benign than turbo in my gearhead mind. You can use hybrid to augment or torque fill a power curve, while turbo mangles it. Hybrid also doesn't kill exhaust sound like a turbo does by killing the engine's distinct sounds and turning everything into a generic whoosh. If hybrid power can come from a lighter source than batteries (an inertia wheel like on the gt3 hybrid car from a few years back) then the future isn't so dark.

I just really really dislike turbos.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread