Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way will we get a flat 8 in 991 RS. I think it will be the standard ~1 second faster around your local popular track, cost an extra $40k and be 5 decibels louder in-cabin plus extra man-boob shaking from the stiffer suspension. Oh--and clown color decals/wheels.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Harder suspension, harder shifts, bigger wing, more tire, turbo widebody, 30 more hp, and stickers. No flat 8. No manual. Rumors about no RWS. Not sure what to make of that. Predicting something more earth shattering isn't supported by history or even really by rumor.
This^^ + magnesium roof and titanium exhaust is what I've heard on top of that
Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Agreed. The flat 8 would be too drastic a step change for the RS. Can't imagine that happening.

If it did, a 40-50k price delta from the 3 would be too much a bargain by Porsche standards...
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Rosenbergendo has had good insider info in the past
Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Harder suspension, harder shifts, bigger wing, more tire, turbo widebody, 30 more hp, and stickers. No flat 8. No manual.

Rumors about no RWS. Not sure what to make of that.

Predicting something more earth shattering isn't supported by history or even really by rumor.
Agree. Take the above, add standard CF buckets, possibly a few CF or other exotic material pieces, and maybe standard PCCB with a $0 delete option for cast iron rotors and in Porsche world you've justified the rumored $50K increase. This RS will be to the 991 GT3 about the same as the previous RS was to the 997 GT3, IMHO.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Agree. Take the above, add standard CF buckets, possibly a few CF or other exotic material pieces, and maybe standard PCCB with a $0 delete option for cast iron rotors and in Porsche world you've justified the rumored $50K increase. This RS will be to the 991 GT3 about the same as the previous RS was to the 997 GT3, IMHO.
Don't see them deleting RWS since it's an integral part of the handling ...

Betting on a CF roof like the TTS
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Don't see them deleting RWS since it's an integral part of the handling ...
Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.....I totally agree....
Old 02-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Does anybody here honestly feel that Porsche will do something completely off the charts with the 991RS?
Like something unbeliveably exciting and unexpected?

Or will it be as predictable as we all think?
totally predictable - probably closer to a 7.1 RS approach than a 7.2 RS IMO...
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.....I totally agree....
didn't think you would!

I do wonder how they will make it lighter ... gotta be the CF roof like the TTS ... which would be cool!!!

I dont anticipate a larger displacement engine, probably a +15 increase as with previous generations ...

and of course sports buckets!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

At the Daytona Rolex 24 I had a long conversation with Hurley Haywood - he expressed some very serious frustration with Porsche and IMSA - perhaps it was even wider than just IMSA from a controlling body perspective. I was not asked to keep any of this in confidence, however this conversation was mid-day between practices and the Dempsy team seemed a little frustrated so take it all with a grain of salt.

Seems one of the reasons Brumos is not racing as a primary sponsor in the United Sports Car Racing Series this year is the performance gap between the GT America and the other manufacturers like Audi, BMW and Aston. Hurley stated that the GT America drivers are "wringing it's neck" to achieve the same level of performance as the other cars where the drivers are "crusing around one handed". He went further to compare rear downforce on the Audi R8 vs the GT America, the larger rear wing and diffuser on the Audi makes about 3x the downforce of the Porsche.

He was very frustrated with the fact that Porsche in GTD brings the GT America which is a true production based platform. The tub essentially comes off the production line and is modified in specific areas for series compliance. The other manufacturers are bringing purpose built chassis with significant aerodynamics to GTD.

The discussion progressed to the RSR and the cost delta between the GT America and the Porsche 911 RSR. He seemed to indicate that Brumos was considering an investment in an RSR for the 2015 season. He stated that the chassis are capitalized assets so the initial investment wasn't a driver. There may have also been some underlying meaning here that Porsche was not interested in having a non-factory team for the first year of the 991 inspired RSR - however Hurley did not specifically say anything about that.

He may also be intimating that Porsche should bring a different weapon to GTD.

Ryan
Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM
markow
Racer

[QUOTE=Larry Cable;11122098]didn't think you would!

I do wonder how they will make it lighter ... gotta be the CF roof like the TTS ... which would be cool!!!

sorry, i don't get it. the TTS does not have a CF roof. but you can spec a glass sun roof on it...weighs probably 50pounds or so.
peter
Old 02-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=markow;11122214]
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
didn't think you would!

sorry, i don't get it. the TTS does not have a CF roof. but you can spec a glass sun roof on it...weighs probably 50pounds or so.
peter
I read multiple press reports at TT/S launch that stated that a CF roof would be available including this one:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futur...sche-911-turbo
Old 02-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
At the Daytona Rolex 24 I had a long conversation with Hurley Haywood - he expressed some very serious frustration with Porsche and IMSA - perhaps it was even wider than just IMSA from a controlling body perspective. I was not asked to keep any of this in confidence, however this conversation was mid-day between practices and the Dempsy team seemed a little frustrated so take it all with a grain of salt.

Seems one of the reasons Brumos is not racing as a primary sponsor in the United Sports Car Racing Series this year is the performance gap between the GT America and the other manufacturers like Audi, BMW and Aston. Hurley stated that the GT America drivers are "wringing it's neck" to achieve the same level of performance as the other cars where the drivers are "crusing around one handed". He went further to compare rear downforce on the Audi R8 vs the GT America, the larger rear wing and diffuser on the Audi makes about 3x the downforce of the Porsche.

He was very frustrated with the fact that Porsche in GTD brings the GT America which is a true production based platform. The tub essentially comes off the production line and is modified in specific areas for series compliance. The other manufacturers are bringing purpose built chassis with significant aerodynamics to GTD.

The discussion progressed to the RSR and the cost delta between the GT America and the Porsche 911 RSR. He seemed to indicate that Brumos was considering an investment in an RSR for the 2015 season. He stated that the chassis are capitalized assets so the initial investment wasn't a driver. There may have also been some underlying meaning here that Porsche was not interested in having a non-factory team for the first year of the 991 inspired RSR - however Hurley did not specifically say anything about that.

Ryan
I wonder if he was secretly thinking about the possible 960?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

racing is expensive.
if you don't get offered enough factory support when you have decades-long history of racing and winning in porsches, on top of operating a porsche dealership, and the car is becoming stagnant and irrelevant in the competitive world of gt-racing, then you'd be pissed too.
especially when part of the solution requires you to purchase an uprated version of your car for double the money...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry

Ryan
Those are very interesting comments. Thanks for sharing. I figured the Aston and the BMW were a far cry from the production cars, and wasn't sure about the Audi and the Viper. But I assumed the Ferrari was pretty close to the production chassis. It would be interesting to see a full list of the actual chassis differences between production and race cars, as well as other deviations in aero and engine restrictions. Of course the organizers will keep tweaking the BoP formula to guarantee close finishes (quite a challenge in a long endurance race), regardless of the inherent merits of the production cars.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread