Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete. Hows the 964 treating you? Im imagine youve been circulating much quicker in your past hardware so may seem a bit mundane? I thin you will agree its fun though and provides plenty of chances to fettle racecraft...
It's very much the same as a 997 with broken power steering. I got lucky with a very well setup car. Shift points brake points all is the same. Just 10 seconds a lap slower than the 4.0, but you don't FEEL is. Same fun to drive. A bit easier maybe because things happen at 95% of the speed you're used to.

Really nothing mundain about is, she's a sweetheart, but must be respected. Just like GT3's

I have not really tried racing very much...
So far I'm on the fence if I like DE or racing better..
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is so awesome...
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Serious racing
Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, but highest top speed is reached at peak HP with perfect gearing, rather than redline (so, around 8,250 or so - engine is making less power at 9,000). May have to gear just slightly lower to be able to reach peak HP. I think it's pretty close to optimal now...
Good point...

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Has anyone from PAG come out and specifically said that was the case? Didn't August Achleitner@PAG say there would be a special engine in the 991GT3-RS? When does the FIA homologation waiver for the 997GT3-RS expire? What are the odds of Porsche producing another dry-sump motor before 2015?
We'll know for certain soon enough, but I predict 0% odds of going back to the old motor in the new RS.

The odds on another dry sump motor to succeed the Mezger before 2015 are 100%. The engine developed for the current 991 GT3 has a true dry sump with a separate engine oil tank, unlike the normal 9A1 Carrera motor which has the "integrated dry sump".
Old 02-04-2014, 12:28 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The engine developed for the current 991 GT3 has a true dry sump with a separate engine oil tank, unlike the normal 9A1 Carrera motor which has the "integrated dry sump".
Who'd thunk it?
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If this things comes with the Metzger engine, will that have any effect on the current level of insane pricing for the 997GT3RS-4.0?
There will be no Metzger as the DFI is so much easier to produce and warranty.
Even if the did, without the manual gearbox the 4.0L resale will remian strong.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No, superwide, wide enough for 345. How wide are the rear tires of TT?
I'm sure it will be a 4.0.
The TT has the same tire sizes as the GT3, also in the ridiculous 20 inch diameter.

245/35
305/30
Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Interestingly Im hearing nothing from the factory regards a larger displacement engine (not that necessarily means anything). I think we will be looking at focus around weight, styling and dynamics here with a small headline increase in power via exhaust,. mapping, gearing and maybe using some of the "latent hp slack" AP reckoned was on the table with the GT3. I can see this machine shaving no more than 7s off the Riog time and maybe 1-2 tenths to 100 (assumes gearing etc).
that would be my guess also ...
Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, but highest top speed is reached at peak HP with perfect gearing, rather than redline (so, around 8,250 or so - engine is making less power at 9,000). May have to gear just slightly lower to be able to reach peak HP. I think it's pretty close to optimal now...
Yes, but the reason for Revving 750 RPM past the HP peak of 8250 is to bring the next gear you upshift to closer to the HP peak. The Torque peak of the 9A1 is very high at 6,250 RPM and 325 Ft. Lbs is not much
when compared to the 516 Ft. Lbs of the TTS. Apparently Porsche calculated the loss of some power
going past the HP peak of 8,250 was more than made up for by the additional power on the upshift.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Yes, but the reason for Revving 750 RPM past the HP peak of 8250 is to bring the next gear you upshift to closer to the HP peak.

Apparently Porsche calculated the loss of some power going past the HP peak of 8,250 was more than made up for by the additional power on the upshift.
Yes, I agree but there is no gear after 7th. So, 7th should be geared to hit peak HP (8,250) at theoretical Vmax (where HP and drag intersect). And 1st has to be geared for a good take-off and the other 5 ratios are dicated by those top and bottom gears.

I think Porsche has already geared the 991 GT3 as well as possible with 7 available ratios and not willing to sacrifice top speed. I don't think they want the RS to be slower in Vmax, so I don't see them "improving" the gearing (unless they raise the redline or add another gear).
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Yes, I agree but there is no gear after 7th. So, 7th should be geared to hit peak HP (8,250) at theoretical Vmax (where HP and drag intersect). And 1st has to be geared for a good take-off and the other 5 ratios are dicated by those top and bottom gears.

I think Porsche has already geared the 991 GT3 as well as possible with 7 available ratios and not willing to sacrifice top speed. I don't think they want the RS to be slower in Vmax, so I don't see them "improving" the gearing (unless they raise the redline or add another gear).
I see your point Grant, but from the Porsche published Specifications, they apparently believe they have achieved that goal of reaching maximum speed in
7th gear at optimum power on the GT3. With the GT3RS's higher drag coefficient (wider body, higher drag Wing, front strakes, etc) IMHO, the modest additional HP of the RS will be insufficient to counter the additional drag and the RS Max speed will likely be lower than the GT3. I don't see where changing gear ratios will make them go any faster. Of course, Race Tracks don't normally have any straights long enough for High HP Sports cars to achieve their "Top Speed" anyway so that number is more a bragging rights Sales and marketing tool. Porsche's GT3 gear "Specifications" are quoted below.

"Shorter gear ratios provide completely new characteristics, meaning that the maximum speed is reached in the seventh and highest gear. In conjunction with the rear axle ratio, which was shortened by 15 per cent, the new 911 GT3 therefore comes with significantly shorter gear ratios than the transmission ratios of a 911 Carrera models – in all gears."
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Maybe you're right that the RS will have a slightly lower Vmax. But I guess my point was that I don't see Porsche intentionally lowering the potential top speed to achieve more aggressive acceleration at low and middle speeds. I think they will gear the car to maximize its potential Vmax. With 7 gears and 9,000rpm, there really is no need to limit Vmax, as the car is well geared at virtually any speed it can travel.

I think the RS will have some interesting performance improvements over the GT3, but I don't expect gearing to be one of them...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rhymes with clucking bell.....

from Super Darius on Rennteam

"Bad news...

From my source i got the confirmation the 991 GT3 RS will be NOT in Geneva and delivery to customer will NOT start in summer of this year,all will be postponed .So like other rumors of latest days i think will be unveiled at Paris auto salon with delivery end 2014."
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Rhymes with clucking bell.....

from Super Darius on Rennteam

"Bad news...

From my source i got the confirmation the 991 GT3 RS will be NOT in Geneva and delivery to customer will NOT start in summer of this year,all will be postponed .So like other rumors of latest days i think will be unveiled at Paris auto salon with delivery end 2014."
that's similar to something I heard from the local dealership, they told me the RS will be unveiled in August...
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

"Bad news...

Even if the Rumor is true, this is NOT bad news for 991 GT3 Owners, even those like me with deposits pending on the GT3RS. IMHO, the present GT3 is going to be a very hard act to follow, especially if the cost of the GT3RS is almost $50K higher than the GT3. Comparing the average lap times of previous 996 and 997 generations of GT3 and GT3RS models on average length U.S. tracks, including the RS4.0, was only about a 1 Second difference while the RS lost much of its suitability as a Daily Driver.
With the necessitated reductions in RS weight, sound insulating materials were reduced increasing wind, tire and engine noise while omitting comfort options and made for a stiffer and less comfortable ride than GT3s, great for track use, but as a DD, not so much. Obviously delaying the RS will leave the GT3 as Porsche’s ultimate track weapon longer, thus enhancing its desirability and its market value.
The more I drive this GT3, and even prior to its first track days later this month, the more I’m coming to love this car, and the more difficult it becomes for me to face having to trade it for an RS. Having owned dozens of 911s, including most of the great GT Models for decades, this car has really captured my heart. Frankly, I’m glad that traumatic decision will at least be postponed a while longer.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread