Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:57 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
The reason to like them is for aero, not looks. They need to be there to reduce frontend lift from the considerable rear down force generated by the huge wing. They look cool too, imo.
I hope they are functional but it's not guaranteed. I say this because the bumper cover vents behind the rear wheel arch on a 7.2 GT3/RS are just for looks.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:57 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph

Tickets to Geneva show purchased. March 12th-16th for me. I must see the launch color in person!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Tickets to Geneva show purchased. March 12th-16th for me. I must see the launch color in person!
Well done! I will be there on the press day on March 3 to attend Porsche's press conference for the 991 RS launch
Old 01-04-2015, 03:38 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps a silly question, but remind me why this black mule and all prior leaks of such mule including toys, patent pics etc... would not actually be the next gt2?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Because its N/A.

BTW I drove my first 991GT3 today. Not on track, but Deacon was kind enough to let me have a run in it up and down the road. Its broken in properly and tracked so I got to hammer it a little.

Damn what a rocket that thing is. For sure faster than a 4.0.
It takes off so hard, its hard to not be impressed but to have fun on the street means losing license fast. Its so hard core. Awesome easy daily comfy cruiser, you may have to flappy it for more quiet comfort, interesting.

Makes me wonder what they can do to make the RS racier except of course lighter and a bit more HP.

I tried full auto I tried manual paddle shifting both and its made me giggle.
Not sure how much manual I would drive it but with the RPM range the choice of gears is a bit bewildering almost.

So the pull from 7K to 9K is just stupid fast, I get that now. Also nothing like Turbo power.
Also much more violent raise in RPM than the 4.0 not due to motor but RPM range shorter gearing and shift speed.

After flappying through the gears for the hell of it on a straight street I put it in D, its in 7th gear and I figure let me roll into it and see if it goes back 1-2-3 or 4 gears down depending on throttle input. Nope BAM 2nd, pulling on the reigns. This was without PDK sport activated. Holy hell...

Than again, I drove my EClass 200HP 2400lb stock 83RS and it was a joy to drive on the track as well, lightness nimbleness that's gone from the comfy GT3's....

Still hate PDK at parking speeds, but OK we're not going to be handing it to the Valet so i'll deal with it.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:21 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Also much more violent raise in RPM than the 4.0 not due to motor but RPM range shorter gearing and shift speed. ...
Thanks for the comparison. Something I expected but which is nice to have confirmed.

Anybody an idea where johan9ff took those pictures?
It's clear Porsche wants us to see these (or similar) pictures.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

BTW I drove my first 991GT3 today....
Peter, welcome to the dark side.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Because its N/A.

BTW I drove my first 991GT3 today. Not on track, but Deacon was kind enough to let me have a run in it up and down the road. Its broken in properly and tracked so I got to hammer it a little.

It takes off so hard, its hard to not be impressed but to have fun on the street means losing license fast. Its so hard core. Awesome easy daily comfy cruiser, you may have to flappy it for more quiet comfort, interesting.

Makes me wonder what they can do to make the RS racier except of course lighter and a bit more HP.

Not sure how much manual I would drive it but with the RPM range the choice of gears is a bit bewildering almost.

So the pull from 7K to 9K is just stupid fast, I get that now. Also nothing like Turbo power.
Also much more violent raise in RPM than the 4.0 not due to motor but RPM range shorter gearing and shift speed.

After flappying through the gears for the hell of it on a straight street I put it in D, its in 7th gear and I figure let me roll into it and see if it goes back 1-2-3 or 4 gears down depending on throttle input. Nope BAM 2nd, pulling on the reigns. This was without PDK sport activated. Holy hell...

Than again, I drove my EClass 200HP 2400lb stock 83RS and it was a joy to drive on the track as well, lightness nimbleness that's gone from the comfy GT3's....

Still hate PDK at parking speeds, but OK we're not going to be handing it to the Valet so i'll deal with it.
Great to see perspective from a 4.0 owner
Old 01-04-2015, 05:30 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because its N/A.

Very good summary. I had the use of a friends GT3 here in DXB for 10 days and exactly the same thoughts. Very good car and certainly one I would consider if it was a one car fits all. Interesting for me was how the seats affected how I felt about the car. This car did not have buckets and it felt more like a GT car and did not like much. I tried another car on track with buckets and it felt completely different and made me feel more connected and part of car. Exactly the same thing I had with trying the turbo and turbo S - turbo hated due to comfy seats etc, turbo S loved due to race seats (and that engine!).

Goodness only knows what the RS with buckets will be like..... gocart I hope!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Perhaps a silly question, but remind me why this black mule and all prior leaks of such mule including toys, patent pics etc... would not actually be the next gt2?
I think it is a valid question, probably answered by this film, it sounds NA:

Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHardGT3RS
Well done! I will be there on the press day on March 3 to attend Porsche's press conference for the 991 RS launch
Perhaps we could meet up in Geneva if you are still around the weekend after. I am flying on Thus (from San Francisco), arrive on Friday, attending the show on Saturday and Sunday, be back home on Monday! A quick trip to just see this car. I am sure there will be more eye candy there anyways...

I am really hoping for a "matte orange" color with subtle matte black stripes running in the middle of the car from front to back. I will leave the spoiler carbon and add PORSCHE lettering (matte orange or white) to it. This car will look awesome!!

Kevin.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by DuckieRS
Thanks for the comparison. Something I expected but which is nice to have confirmed.

Anybody an idea where johan9ff took those pictures?
It's clear Porsche wants us to see these (or similar) pictures.
These pictures are obviously taken right after their venture in snow; which all of us have seen those pictures already. Whomever took these pictures was given access to the garage right after that venture. Thus, Porsche definitely letting pictures leak. Given how late this car is being introduced (due to 991 GT3 recall), Porsche must keep people interested; otherwise, we all would have had Speciale's in our garages by now!!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Very good summary. I had the use of a friends GT3 here in DXB for 10 days and exactly the same thoughts. Very good car and certainly one I would consider if it was a one car fits all. Interesting for me was how the seats affected how I felt about the car. This car did not have buckets and it felt more like a GT car and did not like much. I tried another car on track with buckets and it felt completely different and made me feel more connected and part of car. Exactly the same thing I had with trying the turbo and turbo S - turbo hated due to comfy seats etc, turbo S loved due to race seats (and that engine!). Goodness only knows what the RS with buckets will be like..... gocart I hope!
Very pleased to hear this report. I agree the 991 GT3 felt like a GT car to me...not what I was after. I'm also used to buckets in my Spyder, so glad to hear they help transform the experience.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=TRAKCAR;11927088]

BTW I drove my first 991GT3 today. Not on track.

TRACKCAR, I certainly appreciate and respect your feedback regarding the performance of this car, but I have one problem....this wait for mine is killing me that much more, HELL, mine hasn't even gone into production yet. Once again, more positive comments reassuring the purchase of this BEAST.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Because its N/A.

You know what I am going to ask? Would you get it over a 997.2 RS? I paddles, but I could overlook it. Think I am going to get it

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread