Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Hopefully, it does better against the $75k Z/28.

I don't think it has a chance against the Z06, but it should be able to embarrass a Camaro. Something the GT3 couldn't do.
I'd agree on the Z06 front given the power, especially the torque deficit. But the GT3 already has a better 'ring time than the Z/28 so by default the RS should outdo it. However, as any road course fanatic, we all know that with every track comes different outcomes. I'd say a track like COTA and its long straights will favor horsepower whereas Streets of Willow will likely favor lighter weight and a more balanced car.

On a flip side, the weight of a Z/28 (talked about a lot already) and the s/c on the Z06 "may" impact endurance if you're doing something more than the standard HPDE (20-30 min sessions). Otherwise, it's all about the driver and the subjectivity factor to dictate which is better.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oldguy + Laguna. I dont understand. If you didnt want to pay more than retail why didnt you put your name and deposit down on this car up to 24 months ago like the rest of us? Nothings changed. If you want a GT3/RS you put a deposit down long before the spec is public and decide later if you want it or not. That way you only pay retail....I ordered my GT3 in Sept 2012 and received 06 December 2013 Euro delivery. I put my order in for RS March 2013 same time as GT3 launch in Geneva. Its always been the same with the RS, get on the list real early decide later if you want to cancel, buy and keep or buy and flick for a profit....Laguna I think this bull market has a bit of life left in it before we see the bears move in permanently. The GT3RS will be long delivered by then. Life is short. Seize the Day!

This is my take on it:

Paris 02-19 October 2014 - Launch 991 GT3RS (also used to relaunch the GT core brand with base GT3 possibly on literature or stand to demonstrate evolution and reinforce brand message)

November 2014 - production (LHD) starts of 991 GT3RS. 991 GT3 production continues in parallel

November announcement that GT3 will cease production in early 2015

Feb 2015 - 991 GT3RS RHD production starts. 991 GT3 production completes at end of Feb 2015.

Total units of 991 GT3 produced at production end is approx <2000 units (essentially the lowest production GT3 since the original 996.1 GT3 which never came to the USA = 1868 units).

991 GT3RS production continues until Feb 2016 when last orders for the car are taken and the 991.2 facelift is rolled out in base model 911 guise.

Total GT3RS production estimated at 1600-1800 units.

2016 announcement that the GT3 programme has been disbanded and that a new GT moniker will be launched at Geneva 2017 which will point the direction of Porsches extreme road car with track aspirations for future generations. In the same announcement Porsche declare they have sold over 230,000 cars in 2016 FY and are on target to smash 270,000 units in 016/017 - now recognised globally as being one of the most profitable car companies in the world FULL STOP (regardless of volume!). The Macan is making up 45% production and the firm has decided to add a hybrid to its newly announced 4 cylinder turbo Cayman/boxster range.....

Id like to point out none of the above is based on fact.....but Id be interested to look back on this and see how close it actually was!
Old 08-16-2014, 08:52 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
2016 announcement that the GT3 programme has been disbanded and that a new GT moniker will be launched at Geneva 2017 which will point the direction of Porsches extreme road car with track aspirations for future generations.
That is quite a prediction... Versions of the 960 replace the GT series 911s and something like the GT4 Cayman becomes the affordable track car.

If I had to guess the 960 slots in at 300k and eliminating the 911 GT program makes way for a $140k Cayman derivative.

Ryan
Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
front splitter is about 1/2" deeper than standard GT3. what we've been seeing for some time. dive planes same as recent photos as well. looks good. time to stop with the drip, drip, drip, and get it out there.
Hear, hear!!

Originally Posted by Conekilr
I agree as this is driving me nuts I've hedged my bets and have a GT3 coming but am on the list for the RS. Just waiting on final specs and pricing to see if I will follow through with the RS. It needs to be something special for me to upgrade.

It's going to be worth it, they always are if you track...

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I am going to sit back and wait.. i think the market is due for a correction.. way too hot now.. will cool off once the feds starts tightening... plus there's always the guy who buys an RS, drives it 2k miles then sells...
Yes, me but 5K miles arriving in October 2015 if macca is right...
Who cares about the market tightening? There is so much money slushing around it won't matter for a sub 200k car.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Laguna I agree, with the regular GT3s on fire (sorry about the pun) the RS are going to be just murdered on price by our dealers. They will (Secretly) sell it to a prime customer who will imediately sell it back so the dealer another 100grand. It happened only two generations ago, with the 997.1 GT3s/RS's
Some dealers like mine have proven to sell at MSRP in the order the deposit was received.. They did during the 2007 hype and in 2010.

Oldguy + Laguna. I dont understand. If you didnt want to pay more than retail why didnt you put your name and deposit down on this car up to 24 months ago like the rest of us? Nothings changed. If you want a GT3/RS you put a deposit down long before the spec is public and decide later if you want it or not. That way you only pay retail....I ordered my GT3 in Sept 2012 and received 06 December 2013 Euro delivery. I put my order in for RS March 2013 same time as GT3 launch in Geneva. Its always been the same with the RS, get on the list real early decide later if you want to cancel, buy and keep or buy and flick for a profit....Laguna I think this bull market has a bit of life left in it before we see the bears move in permanently. The GT3RS will be long delivered by then. Life is short. Seize the Day!

This is my take on it:

Paris 02-19 October 2014 - Launch 991 GT3RS (also used to relaunch the GT core brand with base GT3 possibly on literature or stand to demonstrate evolution and reinforce brand message)

November 2014 - production (LHD) starts of 991 GT3RS. 991 GT3 production continues in parallel

November announcement that GT3 will cease production in early 2015

Feb 2015 - 991 GT3RS RHD production starts. 991 GT3 production completes at end of Feb 2015.

Total units of 991 GT3 produced at production end is approx <2000 units (essentially the lowest production GT3 since the original 996.1 GT3 which never came to the USA = 1868 units).

991 GT3RS production continues until Feb 2016 when last orders for the car are taken and the 991.2 facelift is rolled out in base model 911 guise.

Total GT3RS production estimated at 1600-1800 units.

2016 announcement that the GT3 programme has been disbanded and that a new GT moniker will be launched at Geneva 2017 which will point the direction of Porsches extreme road car with track aspirations for future generations. In the same announcement Porsche declare they have sold over 230,000 cars in 2016 FY and are on target to smash 270,000 units in 016/017 - now recognised globally as being one of the most profitable car companies in the world FULL STOP (regardless of volume!). The Macan is making up 45% production and the firm has decided to add a hybrid to its newly announced 4 cylinder turbo Cayman/boxster range.....

Id like to point out none of the above is based on fact.....but Id be interested to look back on this and see how close it actually was!
I hope you nailed it, this time I'm going to let it sit till spring enjoy it in Europe for a summer...

I drove a 50th anniversary PDK today, it's growing g on me and I'm sweet talking the owner I to taking it to Sebring ASAP.

We beat it up pretty good straight of the delivery flat bed with 17 miles on it. Loud exhaust, comfy, and classy road car IMHO. The RS PDK++ feels like an adventure to me know..

Hopefully I can find a euro shop to put the CS in and take it back out to box up and ship to Champion / Orbit....
Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I drove a 50th anniversary PDK today, it's growing on me and I'm sweet talking the owner I to taking it to Sebring ASAP.

We beat it up pretty good straight of the delivery flat bed with 17 miles on it. Loud exhaust, comfy, and classy road car IMHO. The RS PDK++ feels like an adventure to me now..
OMG, Peter.....I think I just saw a pig fly overhead and the weather report from hell is for snow......
Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Hahaha.....
Maybe im getting old and soft
In going to have to go to class to figure out how to use all those buttons though...
Was sweatshirt for an out in the 93 500E (what a car!) before i figured out hoe to make the climate control blow cold, even 20+ year old cars are too complex for me it seems....
Old 08-16-2014, 10:17 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macca, I think you've nailed it except for timing. I'm still sticking to my March announcement date, but still hopping you are right. Allan
Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike. I saw that pig in the sky too - way down under! Snowflakes fell on my gazing face too. Not bad for the tropics :-)

Pete. We still meeting around Xmas in NZ right? Ive booked my tickets for 20 Dec. Well take the 993 and the GT3 for a ride on some winding back roads. After you've drive it in anger you will be switched onto it I think.

Allans. Your info may well be better than my predictions - I have no doubt - but I just dont think they can make us weight another 7 months before an announcement and if they really are closing 991 GT3 production on 28 Feb as has been rumoured now by 3 different sources then it makes no sense they will tools down until; after Geneva (they cant officially open allocation and production confirmations to dealers and dealers clients till the system is open for business which will not take place until approx the time of the launch - although a journalists pack with headline base price and specs will be available a week or two before the show with an embargo slapped on its contents like the 991 GT3).
Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mecca, I'm very high on my dealers list so I do hope the announcement comes in Oct. However, I just picked up my second GT3 today (gave the 1st one back in April) and it will be enough for quite some time. I will post pic's soon - Mexico Blue, June build. Allan
Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Allan. I wanted to change my order to PTS Mexico Blue. My Swiss broker advised me against it. Turns out I couldnt wait that long for it anyway! Cant believe you have one. Well done! Post pictures pronto - will be the first PTS on these boards and the exact colour I was considering....

Peter. I can help you with a friendly official swiss dealer who can take care of everything you need to order, then install and swap back and ship the gear back to USA for you. They are VERY good (discrete). PM me or we talk when together.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

"Oldguy + Laguna. I dont understand. If you didnt want to pay more than retail why didnt you put your name and deposit down on this car up to 24 months ago like the rest of us? Nothings changed. If you want a GT3/RS you put a deposit down long before the spec is public and decide later if you want it or not. That way you only pay retail.."

====> macca, to be fair, oldguy and laguna are both located in CA. in the most fk'd state in USA, MANY dealers, i mean MANY dealers, especially in LA then followed by SF, do not play by the rule. you can have deposit or paid in full and still not get a car at msrp. strange but true. i know b/c i was there. see my signature. if deposit had true meaning, i be more than happy to park more than just deposit in dealer's escrow acc't.

of course not ALL dealers are this way. but they are the exceptions not the norm. sad....
Old 08-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mooty. Fair call. Thats very poor business practice. It doesn't work that way in this part of the world luckily....
Old 08-17-2014, 01:09 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Mooty. Fair call. Thats very poor business practice. It doesn't work that way in this part of the world luckily....
Not sure why that would be considered "poor business practice" as the deposit is to secure a build slot, not a build slot at MSRP (or any other price).

It's an arms-length transaction. Nothing poor about it. And certainly not the price.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

by no means directed at you. i am just pissed whenever i think of these practices. and that is way car sales ppl get a bad name.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its poor business practice to be an official retailer of a well known international brand product and to accept a deposit for a sale (essentially a contract to supply) and either move that depositors position on the list (favour another customer who may have arrived late but have an affiliation with the deposit holder) or indeed charge any more than the manufacturers recommended retail price for that region. All IMO of course...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread