Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG Racing Porsche 991 GT3 Bolt-In Roll Bar NOW AVAILABLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:34 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've personally installed (2) GMG bars in previous cars (997.2 RS and 987 CR). Both took a LONG time to align properly and bolt into place. The specs are so tight that in both cases I had to use 2x4's and ratchet straps to simultaneously align all the components while installing the bolts. I will never ever install one myself again.

Save your sanity and pay someone else to do it
Old 10-15-2014, 11:34 PM
PlanoGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
On a White GT3 with red calipers, stitching and seatbelts; what color roll bar you all recommend- white or red?
/Users/dougb/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2014/Aug 23, 2014/DSC02158.JPG

Not the best picture but perhaps this gives you an idea of what a white roll bar might look like.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2014, 11:40 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ nice setup.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:48 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

White car, white bar.

I think unless you got a pretty busy interior it makes sense to match the bar to the paint.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forme
I've personally installed (2) GMG bars in previous cars (997.2 RS and 987 CR). Both took a LONG time to align properly and bolt into place. The specs are so tight that in both cases I had to use 2x4's and ratchet straps to simultaneously align all the components while installing the bolts. I will never ever install one myself again. Save your sanity and pay someone else to do it
Ugh. Is it not possible to make a bar that fits exactly? Were the other brands (FVD, RSS, etc) a pain to fit too?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:03 AM
PlanoGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockitman
^^^ nice setup.
Thanks - looking at the photo makes me want to go get in it and fire it up!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:06 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ugh. Is it not possible to make a bar that fits exactly? Were the other brands (FVD, RSS, etc) a pain to fit too?
Impossible...TE Rollbar same issue...it will most likely be slightly out of tolerance which requires second man muscle to flex into place.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

I've personally installed (2) GMG bars in previous cars (997.2 RS and 987 CR). Both took a LONG time to align properly and bolt into place. The specs are so tight that in both cases I had to use 2x4's and ratchet straps to simultaneously align all the components while installing the bolts. I will never ever install one myself again.

Now that we know the struggle and how to do it...the challenge looks fun again...on second thought...
Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
GMG, I have a question about fit. At least two rennlisters have said it was a bitch and the bar alignment/anchor points were way off. Can you please comment? Thanks, Allan
+1. I was planning on gmg until I heard multiple people comment on problems with installation.
Originally Posted by kyrocks
Please answer. I am considering one as well.
I remember installing the TE roll bar by myself for my 996-3. There was a slight warp somewhere in the tubing that made the rear bolts not fit in at first. I had to wedge various sizes of 2x4 with a hammer to get the roll bar bolt points to line up. It was a bitch...6 hours of struggle before I figured out the wedge technique. I am hoping these bars have a better fit during installing. In any event, roll bar installation is a two person job for those slightly out of tolerance connecting points that are probably due to welding heat warpage.
Originally Posted by allans
Jerry, Thanks for the reply but, does it fit or, does it have to be Levered" in place, to line up the mounting bolts? Also, what do you or your vendors charge for installation? Lastly, Please recommend a
shop in the Atlanta area for installation. Thank you. Allan

Impossible...TE Rollbar same issue...it will most likely be slightly out of tolerance which requires second man muscle to flex into place.
I was one of the posters who commented in the past on the difficulty of getting the GMG rollbar mounted. My bar is in a 991 Carrera S (same rollbar model and fit as the one in the GT3, as per Jerry at GMG). I purchased the rollbar directly from GMG in Feb/March of this year and had it shipped to my local shop in NY for installation in my brand-new 991S. The finished result is fantastic--looks as good or better than OEM, and has been trouble-free over 8 trackdays so far.

Getting it mounted was a hassle for my shop, though. Even with it being a custom design for this chassis, it took my guys a total of about 8 hours to get it fitted. They had it in and out of the car three times. Filing, machining, adjusting. This is definitely not a DIY-in-your-driveway kind of job. I had it installed at a very well-regarded race/speed shop on Long Island that does lots of race prep for Porsches and BMWs. The two guys doing the installation were the shop owner, who has probably 20 years of experience, and his main tech, who is a Porsche Gold-level certified technician with tons of experience. Between the rollbar installation, harness installation, and OMP race seat installation with associated hardware (Planted, Brey-Krause, etc.), the total labor cost was something like $2300. Something to be aware of--the total budget needs to take the considerable labor time into account.

For perspective, though, I've had another reputable shop tell me that it's commonplace to require quite a bit of adjusting and finagling to get pre-fab rollbars installed, regardless of the manufacturer.

Also, I researched 991-specific rollbars from two other manufacturers prior to choosing the GMG bar. Based on my reading, and the opinion and past experience of my local race shop owner, the GMG seemed to be the best/safest/most robust/well-engineered design. I'm happy with the GMG bar and will likely swap it into a 991 GT3 when I make that move up.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:54 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
On a White GT3 with red calipers, stitching and seatbelts; what color roll bar you all recommend- white or red?
Originally Posted by jlanka
I personally would go with white
Originally Posted by skuplist
The interior is still black. Seems I would do black.
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Black works very well by blending in with the interior.
Looks great. Makes me want to do mine in close to rhodium silver..with my platinum stitching.
Matching the bar to the exterior color and harnesses is a nice look. I ended up going with the standard black powdercoat because I was concerned about reflective gloss paint in my rearview mirror. Not sure if it's a real issue, but since my car is a daily driver, I didn't want headlights reflecting off the bar in the rearview mirror. As it is, the bar cuts the rear visibility down to about 2/3 of what it is pre-installation.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Originally Posted by PlanoGT3
/Users/dougb/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2014/Aug 23, 2014/DSC02158.JPG

Not the best picture but perhaps this gives you an idea of what a white roll bar might look like.
Are those GT2 seats in your car?

Why can't GMG make the roll bars to fit without all the hassle?
Are all the 991 GT3 holes different?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi Guys,

New to the forum but been reading for quite some time. I have a black 991 GT3 due for delivery in Mid-December.

Car has:
PCCB
platinum stitching
918 Sport-Buckets
Yellow seat belts

I'm planning on ordering the GMG bar. Would you do a yellow bar to match the yellow belts and yellow calipers? Or would you do Black to match the body?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:24 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Originally Posted by J9277655
Hi Guys,

New to the forum but been reading for quite some time. I have a black 991 GT3 due for delivery in Mid-December.

Car has:
PCCB
platinum stitching
918 Sport-Buckets
Yellow seat belts

I'm planning on ordering the GMG bar. Would you do a yellow bar to match the yellow belts and yellow calipers? Or would you do Black to match the body?
I'm getting a Black with red calipers in Nov. Going with Black bar.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:03 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Rockitman,

Yes, Porsche dealerships have started to become more friendly with aftermarket parts than ever. As you can see from our growing dealer list - http://www.gmgracing.com/dealers/ - many of our high volume dealers are Porsche dealerships. Please send me an email to Jerry@GMGRacing.com with your shipping address and I will work on setting you up with a local dealership or installer.
email sent.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having a custom weld done. Safer than bolt in.

Quick Reply: GMG Racing Porsche 991 GT3 Bolt-In Roll Bar NOW AVAILABLE!!!