Sponsored by:

Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
On the paddle neutral pull is it just on off like a switch or can you modulate it like a clutch pedal. I'm wondering if you can use it as a way to move lowly into a parking spot at low speed.
on-off switch. Computer does the modulation for you, but in most conditions it's just a clutch drop.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

US cars have launch control? Thought DOT made them illegal.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:27 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm fairly certain it's on US models too--many different auto makers too.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CTT-QTR
I'm interested in this. Any RPM limit set for this "burnout mode"? Can you put the gearbox into neutral by pulling both paddles while driving and rev to 9K?
Originally Posted by fxz
pull the both the paddles for neutral and rev fully ?
release what ? not clear how does it works
I've not tried it and there is no description of it in the manual, but several reviewers have mentioned it. I also don't know if there is a rev limit associated with it like there is with launch control (6500). You can go into neutral with the paddles while driving and rev the motor but I'd be surprised if the electronics allowed you to rev all the way to 9K; I've no plans to test it any time soon.

Originally Posted by skuplist
On the paddle neutral pull is it just on off like a switch or can you modulate it like a clutch pedal. I'm wondering if you can use it as a way to move lowly into a parking spot at low speed.
I haven't played with it a lot, but it seems to be on-off. Besides, just feathering the throttle lightly, which begins to engage the clutch, gives you good control in tight spots and is more precise. Takes a bit to get used to, though, after using throttle and manual clutch or an auto with creep....

Originally Posted by Nick
US cars have launch control? Thought DOT made them illegal.
Nope, not illegal, the car has launch control.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've not tried it and there is no description of it in the manual, but several reviewers have mentioned it. I also don't know if there is a rev limit associated with it like there is with launch control (6500). You can go into neutral with the paddles while driving and rev the motor but I'd be surprised if the electronics allowed you to rev all the way to 9K; I've no plans to test it any time soon.
AP went on record during one of the interviews stating you could rev all you want, or at least mentioned over 7k, cannot recall exactly. Not sure if that is RoW or here as well. Anyway, I have no intentions of doing that.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
simon85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Off-topic, but this is not true. Also, some people did 30+ launches with 600+ HP on the same day without breaking anything on e92 M3.

Still, neither 991 nor M3 are cars for launches - if that's your thing, there are much better options.
Yes it is Canada anyway. I was in the market for an m3, but bought a c63 instead. The bmw dealer in Montreal told me I can't do more than 10 launch controls a month or it void the warranty if transmission fail. They can see in the ecu the number of launchs etc... I saw the paperworks/contract and it was written in bold. New policy since customers "abused the launch control".

Not saying the m-division cars are bad or anything. I know gtr limit their launch control to 5 per day (limited by the ecu) for certain reasons.

But anyway, I didn't bought a cayman to do launch controls...
Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
AP went on record during one of the interviews stating you could rev all you want, or at least mentioned over 7k, cannot recall exactly. Not sure if that is RoW or here as well. Anyway, I have no intentions of doing that.
Good to know; I didn't remember the specifics either.

I guess we'll both just have to sit back and wait for someone else to try this out to get a definitive answer.

Quick Reply: Launch Control