991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I thought the same about normal as it was shifting way too early through the gears. I then tried to drive it in a very spirited fashion and the computer learned what I was doing much faster than in the C4S or TTS. It shifted much better. Still, I enjoy manual mode the most on the street.
So are you guys saying that normal mode is fairly adaptive and suitable for both mild and spirited road driving, whereas sport mode is less adaptive and setup mainly for the track?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I guess what I'm bummed about is that there apparently isn't an automated mode ideally suited for 'spirited' road driving. Sport sounds too extreme, and normal too tame.
PDK "Sport" is fine for spirited driving, but I would use standard PDK and let the system apadt to your requirements.

Quite frankly I was relieved to find that the "only" choice out of the three I really enjoyed was Manual mode for spirited driving. I think Id even use it at the track although I understand PDK-sport will be quicker. Ive never owned an "auto" sports car and was concerned it wouldnt be as fun in manual after full auto so it was a real relief to find I enjoyed hitting those paddles so much!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

So are you guys saying that normal mode is fairly adaptive and suitable for both mild and spirited road driving, whereas sport mode is less adaptive and setup mainly for the track?
Manual mode is by far the best for both mild and spirited road driving. Use it and all of the issues around adaptability, kickdown, early shifting, and unnecessarily high revs for conditions are solved. Period. It's hard for me to understand why anyone who says they prefer a MT car would not use manual mode almost exclusively. I probably use it 99% of the time.

If one insists on using an auto mode on the street, PDK normal mode is highly adaptable and offers a kickdown feature, but when driven easy, it upshifts too early for my taste. But it's fine for just cruising around, assuming you don't want/are too lazy to use the manual interface.

PDK Sport is also adaptive, but because it's default shift map is aggressive, and because it offers no kickdown feature, it is best suited for the track. It can, however, be used on the street. In easy driving it will upshift at about 4500 RPM and downshift between 3500-4000 RPM. That's not unreasonable, and works fine on the street with a light foot, but if you get into the throttle, it will become much more aggressive very quickly. If you want to drive in auto on the track, this mode will be perfect.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:32 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's hard for me to understand why anyone who says they prefer a MT car would not use manual mode almost exclusively.
They can't because they haven't bought the car.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
They can't because they haven't bought the car.
Nick, thats Bollocks! I bought the car along with dozens of 997.2 GT3 owners on Pistonheads.co.uk - we would all have likely chosen MT if there was a choice but I dont think anyone is unhappy with the PDK at least in Manual mode.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
Nick, thats Bollocks! I bought the car along with dozens of 997.2 GT3 owners on Pistonheads.co.uk - we would all have likely chosen MT if there was a choice but I dont think anyone is unhappy with the PDK at least in Manual mode.

I know Macca...I'm just teasing Mike...
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What?! Teasing on RL?! Sacrilege!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu

I know Macca...I'm just teasing Mike...
I'm easy Nick...

I should have said, I can't understand why anyone who says they prefer a MT would even contemplate using an auto mode instead of manual mode.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I should have said, I can't understand why anyone who prefers a MT would even contemplate using a auto mode instead of manual mode.
Now you're talking!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

It's hard for me to understand why anyone who says they prefer a MT car would not use manual mode almost exclusively.
PDK-S may be great, and its manual mode may be great, but it's still not a 'full' manual, so IMO the auto modes need to be good for all uses of the car on street and track.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

PDK-S may be great, and its manual mode may be great, but it's still not a 'full' manual, so IMO the auto modes need to be good for all uses of the car on street and track.
Between the 2 auto modes, I think you'll find one that is suitable for both street and track. And yes, manual mode is not a "full" manual. No need to start that discussion again.

OTOH, I don't quite get the rationale that says "if I can't have a stick and clutch, I'll need to have a proper auto", especially when manual mode with PDK-S is so excellent, quite involving, and more fun than any auto mode for almost all driving. Just my opinion, of course, I understand you feel differently.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Between the 2 auto modes, I think you'll find one that is suitable for both street and track. And yes, manual mode is not a "full" manual. No need to start that discussion again.

OTOH, I don't quite get the rationale that says "if I can't have a stick and clutch, I'll need to have a proper auto", especially when manual mode with PDK-S is so excellent, quite involving, and more fun than any auto mode for almost all driving. Just my opinion, of course, I understand you feel differently.
Of course, I haven't driven the car, and my thoughts could change if I did. But meanwhile, I still think the GT3 needs to have a good auto mode for the street (sport mode in my C63 is fun, I enjoy the show the car puts on).

Quick Reply: GT3 PDK