Sponsored by:

Keeping the GT3 Clean

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I have gone from being **** about cleaning and protecting the exterior of my cars to just enjoying the damn thing. This much I have learned. No matter how much time and expense I spend cleaning my car, in a VERY short time it is dirty again. I quit worry about it and wash it when I think it needs to be washed. Just drive it and the dirtier it is when you come back the bigger the smile.

OH, I agree with Macca. Plastic wrap is an unnecessary expense. Spend your hard earned money on something else.
This. I've never wrapped any of my cars. Didn't wrap this one either. I'd rather have a chip than look at that wrap.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done only the front bumper on my 2006 Cayman S and it's held up pretty well. Will probably do the same on the GT3 and limit it to the bumper. It gets the bulk of the road rash.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by serpico1
Macca...
I must say, MODERN clear bra technology is very durable and beautiful. They will not yellow when treated with care. More importantly, all the rockchips in your front end will result in an eventual repaint. A repaint on a car will DROP the resale value of the car, whereas the replacement of clear bra will NOT. $2k for clear bra or $1000 for a repaint and then at least $5k drop in the value of the car…I'd choose clearbra every time.
Yes silver car is much easier to keep.

"Modern Clear Bra Technology is very beautiful and durable". Ive been sold this story 3x on my 911 in the 14 years Ive owned it and tried three different products over that time (3M plus others Ive forgotten). Each film claims to be better than the previous, thinner, harder, more durable, not affected by UV etc. Guess what? After 5 years they will all fail in one way or another. Nothing is impervious to UV and quite honestly anyone who tells you a new product will be perfect in 5 years is just selling their wares.

Im not saying dont do it Im just saying for this punter who has probably spend $6000 on clear bra for the same 911 for 1.5 decades (a dark colour too) Ive finally come to realise that clear coat is more UV stable, harder, and easier to recover than any plastic film.....and guess what? Clear coat is cheaper too. Its a personal choice but Ive decided against it and Im very happy. White is also very good for your Kama on the GT3 - gives you spare time to go driving...

P.S. Your market must be different than mine but no GT3 here depreciates $5K around here because its had the bumper, guards and trunk resprayed by a Porsche approved repairer (who will provide a photo file). Infact in NZ buyers expect cars to need a front touch up after a few years as the roads have plenty of loose stones. helps only 12 991 GT3 will be officially delivered in NZ over the next 12+ months...
Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the insight but with all this ice on the road in Houston I am going to give my car a Wash this weekend and hopefully put up some pics!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i wrap my cars.
creature of habit i guess.
all film look ugly, lets not lie about it.
they are there for protection not for looks.

Originally Posted by serpico1
Macca...
I must say, MODERN clear bra technology is very durable and beautiful. They will not yellow when treated with care. More importantly, all the rockchips in your front end will result in an eventual repaint. A repaint on a car will DROP the resale value of the car, whereas the replacement of clear bra will NOT. $2k for clear bra or $1000 for a repaint and then at least $5k drop in the value of the car…I'd choose clearbra every time.

!
it's hard to tell yellowing on silver cars, i had several.
but to day some film dont yellow is incorrect. i have been using film since 2002. i get films done every year, at least 2-3 cars a year. i have used various generation of 3m, venture, avery, sercret conction, xpel, you name it i have it. they ALL YELLOW on a white car. some yellow just parked in the garage.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
While white cars are certainly easier because they don't show swirl marks as easily they come with they have different issues that you need to address and keep after.

Bonded contaminants from brake dust, exhaust, etc show up as little rust spots on white cars where you would never see them on darker colored vehicles. Because of this you need to clay and light polish quite a bit more to keep the car free of those defects. So while you won't necessarily need to do heavy correction work as often they still require a good bit of upkeep to keep them looking new.
right on about "pebble deposits"
and the rear end gets dusty if you drive the car moer than 100ft after detailing.
that's why my r ear bumper is covered. i got tired of bending down on my knees claying the bumper. so i just let the clr bra take the damage and replace it.

some like bra
some like nake
i like bra on car, naked on women.
your toy your choice.
but really, bra are ugly and they ALL yellow.
i am willing to challange anyone for the yellow test
Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

What parts are you guys wrapping?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ the chest area. that's usually where bras go no?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:02 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

For me, like Mooty, clear bra made sense. It just boils down to how you intend to use it... My two main uses are country runs and race track... After 29k km you should see the sides of the car, front and windscreen. Were it not for the clear bra over the hips (in front of rear wheels) and front end, I'd be in for a respray... You can always replace a tired clear bra, not so the factory finish of the car...

Mine is now approaching 4 years and is starting to look a little tired and JUST starting to show signs of yellowing. Next year I'll replace... $1800 for 5 years protection is a bargain IMO.

As for aesthetics, function over form... Sure it may be starting to look a little rough but so would have the paint it not protected...

I had the front end/guards and bonnet wrapped, a custom one piece that did the door sills and hip area to just over wheel arch (factory pieces are junk) and behind rear wheel arches, basically wherever the car or another can hit duco....
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. I know what you mean from that dirt and rock build up on the sides. The factory film is already going yellow on mine after 30 days driving!

Interestingly after 3.5K km the exporter went over the car with a UV light after putting it on the hoist and cleaning it (so it passes MAF NZ end). They found and reordered only three rock chips - one on the bumper, one on the edge of the glass and one chip on the wheel spoke from a stone. I had also found those three but expected more. They were amazed. I was too. Must have been lucky - in NZ you get three chips just travelling to the race track!
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Is midnight blue as bad as black?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

95% as bad as black. I have the T shirt these last 14 years....
Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
For me, like Mooty, clear bra made sense. It just boils down to how you intend to use it... My two main uses are country runs and race track... After 29k km you should see the sides of the car, front and windscreen. Were it not for the clear bra over the hips (in front of rear wheels) and front end, I'd be in for a respray... You can always replace a tired clear bra, not so the factory finish of the car...

Mine is now approaching 4 years and is starting to look a little tired and JUST starting to show signs of yellowing. Next year I'll replace... $1800 for 5 years protection is a bargain IMO.

As for aesthetics, function over form... Sure it may be starting to look a little rough but so would have the paint it not protected...

I had the front end/guards and bonnet wrapped, a custom one piece that did the door sills and hip area to just over wheel arch (factory pieces are junk) and behind rear wheel arches, basically wherever the car or another can hit duco....
Completely agree with you and Mooty (factory pieces are junk too); although, sometimes I like a bra and no panties. Have had similar experiences with clear bras. Intend to wrap mine once it arrives later this year, including rear bumper. Certainly none of the products are perfect but the newer products look, very, very good. Replacing one every three to four years, even sooner, is a bargain compared to a re-spray. Mine last white .2 had a 3 1/2 year old clear and was probably 6-12 months from needing a replacement. Re-sprays are NEVER as good as factory paint. Besides, re-paint hood, fenders, front facia, quarters, no way. Quality re-spray is very expensive and very much does affect resale. Much easier to replace the clear. Just my opinion.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-25-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:33 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After you are all done with cleaning your car apply a coat of Rejex to front bumper to keep the bugs away. I don't apply it on entire car but some do. This stuff works.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...sus-zaino.html
Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have any experience with Rejex, but has used Zaino for years--especially love the Z6 and Z8 finishing sprays. Easy maintenance and leaves the car with a very shiny / slick surface.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:53 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Just noticed one thing after a long and fast drive yesterday - the front edge of the wing had a lot of sand and dust embedded in it. The leading edge of the roof has some (much less) too. It would not wash off without rubbing or claybar. No chips, but if that happens repeatedly, the paint will eventually be damaged or even stripped. I'm covering those with film.

Also, brake dust created black lines around the OEM vinyl covers in the rear, which looks pretty bad on a lighter-color car. But that washes off rather easily.

Quick Reply: Keeping the GT3 Clean