Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 vs 18 way seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently have 4 way on my .2 but ordered the 18 way. The 18 is nice to have but I could live w/o it. The big reason for me ordering it was my wife complained few times that she couldn't believe this car did not have this option. Good luck try explaining how to raise the seat up if someone as tall as Mike was sitting in the passenger seat before her. Oh boy. Let's not even go there.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
You mean , because that's what most of the Porsche Nuts are going to say around here.
Uhh...?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Does anybody know if the there is a difference in how low you can sit in the car between the 4-way or the 18-way seats, if you set each seat to the lowest possible setting??
I'm going to ask this again on a new page, because I'm very interested in the answer.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm going to ask this again on a new page, because I'm very interested in the answer.
My guess would be that there is no difference between the seats at their lowest setting. Only way to tell for sure, though, would be to compare side by side or perhaps measure from the seat to the roof. On my 18 way seat the measurement from where the cushion meets the backrest to the roof, with the seat all the way back and height and rake at their lowest positions, is 38 3/4".

Maybe someone with 4 way seats can do a similar measurement.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My guess would be that there is no difference between the seats at their lowest setting. Only way to tell for sure, though, would be to compare side by side or perhaps measure from the seat to the roof. On my 18 way seat the measurement from where the cushion meets the backrest to the roof, with the seat all the way back and height and rake at their lowest positions, is 38 3/4".

Maybe someone with 4 way seats can do a similar measurement.
Mike. Thank you big time!

So if I understand your description. you measured from the seat to the roof, at the point the seat meets the backrest, with the seat all the way down. Sounds good.

Can someone please measure this on a 4-way seat?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike. Thank you big time!

So if I understand your description. you measured from the center rear of the seat cushion to the roof, at the point the seat meets the backrest, with the seat all the way down and with the cushion all the way back. Sounds good.

Can someone please measure this on a 4-way seat?
No problem Drifting. Added a bit above for total clarity.....
Old 09-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I'm surprised that the extra Pounds. Kilos. Tonnage. isn't the determining factor in the 18 way question. Weight would be the factor in my decision, anyway.

The weights, courtesy of great rennlister Eduardo, are reported to be:

Adaptive Sport Seats 128.0 lbs.
Regular Sport Seats 97.2 lbs.
GT2 style Sport Buckets 67.0 lbs.
CGT style Sport Buckets 45.8 lbs.

128 pounds?! For seats in a SPORTS CAR?! The list of weight lessening options, factory or aftermarket, that those seats effectively invalidate is mind boggling.

Another way to look at it is that adaptive sport seats weigh twenty pounds MORE than an ADDITIONAL, or second, tank of gas! (6.4 lbs/gallon gas x 16.9 gallon tank). That fact is amazing, to me.

Eduardo posted seat weights once in this post - https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7002...ket-seats.html
Thanks for the info. Sorry to miss this, are the weight per seat or per pair.
With these numbers, 18-way is out for me. With proper seating posture, there's no need for lumbar and legs support. It's sacrilege to put heavy seats in a car that engineers spent thousands of hours to make every part lighter.

Interesting vid by a chiropractor on seat adjustments:

Last edited by Jnosol; 09-06-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:19 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 18-ways are *really* heavy
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
the 18-ways are *really* heavy
......but they surrrrre feel nice. Best seats I've ever had. I'd sure feel like a dork if I ordered the 4 ways to save a couple thousand bucks, and severely affected the driving enjoyment of the car.
Then again, if I could make it to work 0.1 second quicker, it might be worth it!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:16 PM
smbryan
Racer

Originally Posted by Selo
......but they surrrrre feel nice. Best seats I've ever had. I'd sure feel like a dork if I ordered the 4 ways to save a couple thousand bucks, and severely affected the driving enjoyment of the car.
Then again, if I could make it to work 0.1 second quicker, it might be worth it!
or you could take the thousands of $ you saved and pay an upholsterer hundreds of $ to custom fit the seat. saving $ and weight.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
or you could take the thousands of $ you saved and pay an upholsterer hundreds of $ to custom fit the seat. saving $ and weight.
Sounds like a good idea, but then, when I consider setting an upholsterer loose on my new 175k vehicle, I start to think meh, maybe not such a good idea. The less people that touch a new car, the better. IMO.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 PM
karter34
Advanced

I spent hours going through which of the 4 seat options to choose.
I am 6ft 4 and comfort is important. Ease of access was also important.
My main driving will be on the street.
I jumped in the both bucket seats and found the base of the seat was not soft enough and the lateral support was good, though not too much better for me than the 18`` with the bolsters pumped.
For the extra $$ I really saw value in the 18' with Lumbar and base extensions available and also easy minor adjustments with all electric.The idea of bolstering up the sides when pushing the car is a nice option to have.
With the front extension the seat feltt like it had more rake. So works for me.
TBH this was my first confirmed option.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

my order is april build for may /june delivery and am 6'4 I was leaning to buckets but need to find a car to drive that has them. I would like to know the height of the 4 way to 18 way as well. thanks
Old 09-07-2017, 01:36 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
my order is april build for may /june delivery and am 6'4 I was leaning to buckets but need to find a car to drive that has them. I would like to know the height of the 4 way to 18 way as well. thanks
I had the LWBS in my .1, but I'm getting the 4-ways in my .2 because I won't track this car much(going to buy a dedicated track car). The 4-ways will sit as low as the LWBS in their lowest position, the 18 ways will not and sit much higher in their lowest position. Not sure on actual height difference but it was definitely noticeable.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (03-23-2021)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

thanks, are the lwb angle an issue vs the 4way, i need to sit in them and decide. if the back angle is close to my normal position, i will go with lwb but if its vertical then will get 4 ways

Quick Reply: 4 vs 18 way seats