991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 vs 18 way seats

Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chuck and Fastlane...how tall are you, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Moreland
Yes, the seat base rack adjust does also change the height of the seat base - sort of - by tilting the back of the seat base up. If you want that seat base up, you are going to be sliding forward off the seat.

for me getting the seat base angle to something reasonable means 'all the way down'. So I sit very low in the car. this is not by choice, a higher seating position would improve visibility.
The lower you sit in a car, the better you can feel the balance of the car. Obviously, if by sitting low it impairs your vision you need to adjust the height but no more than necessary.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Chuck and Fastlane...how tall are you, if you don't mind me asking.
I go about 5' 11"

I understand all about center-of-gravity height. In a racecar you want to be low. With a HANS on you can't look around much anyway, you rely on the mirrors.

But on the street I want visibility and would give up and inch or two of seat height to improve it.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Moreland
Yes, the seat base rack adjust does also change the height of the seat base - sort of - by tilting the back of the seat base up. If you want that seat base up, you are going to be sliding forward off the seat.

for me getting the seat base angle to something reasonable means 'all the way down'. So I sit very low in the car. this is not by choice, a higher seating position would improve visibility.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little taller than you (6'2") but I find myself having the same issues you describe. That's why, for me at least, the ability to adjust the rake and height independently with the 18 way seats was important.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised that the extra Pounds. Kilos. Tonnage. isn't the determining factor in the 18 way question. Weight would be the factor in my decision, anyway.

The weights, courtesy of great rennlister Eduardo, are reported to be:

Adaptive Sport Seats 128.0 lbs.
Regular Sport Seats 97.2 lbs.
GT2 style Sport Buckets 67.0 lbs.
CGT style Sport Buckets 45.8 lbs.

128 pounds?! For seats in a SPORTS CAR?! The list of weight lessening options, factory or aftermarket, that those seats effectively invalidate is mind boggling.

Another way to look at it is that adaptive sport seats weigh twenty pounds MORE than an ADDITIONAL, or second, tank of gas! (6.4 lbs/gallon gas x 16.9 gallon tank). That fact is amazing, to me.

Eduardo posted seat weights once in this post - https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7002...ket-seats.html
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM
CaymanR-Racer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that these numbers are correct?

Am asking because Sportauto tested the Cayman S 981 with the 18-way adjustavle seats and the GT2 seats in 2 independent tests (was the identical car, same number plate etc) and the weight difference was a lot less than that!!

Actually, it was 1432kg vs 1412kg ... so only 20kg difference for 2 seats (about 50lbs)...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I'm surprised that the extra Pounds. Kilos. Tonnage. isn't the determining factor in the 18 way question. Weight would be the factor in my decision, anyway.

The weights, courtesy of great rennlister Eduardo, are reported to be:

Adaptive Sport Seats 128.0 lbs.
Regular Sport Seats 97.2 lbs.
GT2 style Sport Buckets 67.0 lbs.
CGT style Sport Buckets 45.8 lbs.

128 pounds?! For seats in a SPORTS CAR?! The list of weight lessening options, factory or aftermarket, that those seats effectively invalidate is mind boggling.

Another way to look at it is that adaptive sport seats weigh twenty pounds MORE than an ADDITIONAL second tank of gas! (6.4 lbs/gallon gas x 16.9 gallon tank). That fact is amazing, to me.

Eduardo posted seat weights once in this post - https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7002...ket-seats.html
Well, with regard to your tank of gas example, you do need seats of some kind in the car! Just to be clear those listed weights are for both seats combined, but I agree, the extra 30 lbs for the 18 way over the 4 way seats is a drawback.

The added weight was another argument (excuse?) for me to get PCCB's. With PCCB's and 18 way seats, my car is still lighter than a similar car with 4 way seats and cast iron brakes. Of course my wallet is a lot lighter too.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanR-Racer

Am asking because Sportauto tested the Cayman S 981 with the 18-way adjustavle seats and the GT2 seats in 2 independent tests (was the identical car, same number plate etc) and the weight difference was a lot less than that!!
Sure? Oh, damn. Well, I'm kinda sure of the weight of a tank of gasoline because I've got a "firmish" grip on multiplication... but even then, with possible variations in tank volume and gasoline's specific gravity and the whole crazy world of variation/theory-ladeness-of-data posited by the author Thomas Kuhn in his book The Structure of Scientific Revolutions which I read way to young in life and has since often caused me to question everything and anything at the most inappropriate times....

Basically, no. I'm not sure of anything, really.

And you shouldn't be either.
The following users liked this post:
tomingrassia (01-09-2022)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:07 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Sure? Oh, damn. Well, I'm kinda sure of the weight of a tank of gasoline because I've got a "firmish" grip on multiplication... but even then, with possible variations in tank volume and gasoline's specific gravity and the whole crazy world of variation/theory-ladeness-of-data posited by the author Thomas Kuhn in his book The Structure of Scientific Revolutions which I read way to young in life and has since often caused me to question everything and anything at the most inappropriate times....

Basically, no. I'm not sure of anything, really.

And you shouldn't be either.
LMFAO!
The following users liked this post:
tomingrassia (01-09-2022)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
I love the 997 gen GT2 Seats.
, because that's what most of the Porsche Nuts are going to say around here.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanR-Racer

Actually, it was 1432kg vs 1412kg ... so only 20kg difference for 2 seats (about 50lbs)...
some on this forum have weighed them. if memory serves me (had a few last martinis night) these weights are pretty accurate. I think the delta is even greater between *** and 4 way.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Chuck, FWIW, Porsche's describes it as a height adjustment with the rake being adjusted at the same time, within a narrow range. The other stuff is right; maybe they count fore and aft as "two ways"....there are no other adjustments AFAIK other than the ones you mentioned.

The thing I like about the 18 way seats is that even though they are the same basic seat as the 4 way, the height and rake can be adjusted independently over a wider range. I can get the seat into a "butt down" configuration that kind of mimics the sport buckets, but put them more level for comfortable long distance cruising. The lumbar adjustment helps my back on long trips and the thigh extension gives my legs more support. The bolster adjustments are a minor plus.

I think the 18 way seats offer definite advantages. Like every other option, it's whether they're worth the cost. To me, they were.
I'm still so confusered, 18 way just to charge more Porsche Tax! After all it's the most Bespoke car on the market.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I'm still so confusered, 18 way just to charge more Porsche Tax! After all it's the most Bespoke car on the market.
Well, like I said, the 18 way seats offer meaningful advantages that I find important (YMMV) so they aren't just a frill like leather covered radio ***** and such. Whether the "tax" Porsche charges for them is worth it, is up to the individual buyer's discretion.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
The lower you sit in a car, the better you can feel the balance of the car. Obviously, if by sitting low it impairs your vision you need to adjust the height but no more than necessary.
Does anybody know if the there is a difference in how low you can sit in the car between the 4-way or the 18-way seats, if you set each seat to the lowest possible setting??
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

Compared to Ferrari prices for different seats ( my 458 has about 12k worth) Porsche seat options are a bargain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 vs 18 way seats