Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PCCB or not PCCB

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So hard to decide on PCCBs.. You hear these horror stories and then you also hear people who swear that after having them you can never go back to steel...

The consensus though seems to be that stability control kills them. Probably even more so than TC as the car has inherent good traction. In doubt people switch off both aids.

In any case there are some quality replacements out there now which are more durable and cheaper. Like Surface Transforms which supply discs to Movit and Alcon and are OEM to koenigsegg... So you can consider keeping ceramics even if you need to replace them.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Whether you order PCCB or iron rotor kit with your GT3, or not certain at this time until later, we have all answer for you.

Check RB out for the other option here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...r-991-gt3.html
Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rosino
So hard to decide on PCCBs.. You hear these horror stories and then you also hear people who swear that after having them you can never go back to steel...

The consensus though seems to be that stability control kills them. Probably even more so than TC as the car has inherent good traction. In doubt people switch off both aids.

In any case there are some quality replacements out there now which are more durable and cheaper. Like Surface Transforms which supply discs to Movit and Alcon and are OEM to koenigsegg... So you can consider keeping ceramics even if you need to replace them.
agree, one of the most difficult decisions to make on the car... at $9k its a high stakes decision... the iron brakes are obviously fine... but for a street only car, I decided to go PCCB
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
agree, one of the most difficult decisions to make on the car... at $9k its a high stakes decision... the iron brakes are obviously fine... but for a street only car, I decided to go PCCB
+1 and if you find that you are wearing them out you can always box them and swap to steels ...
Old 12-27-2015, 04:17 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 and if you find that you are wearing them out you can always box them and swap to steels ...
Larry if you box the PCCBs and go to steel rotors, can you still your your PCCB calipers? I don't know much about this and am trying to learn. Lastly, how much would it cost to retrofit to the steels on average? Thank You
Old 12-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Larry if you box the PCCBs and go to steel rotors, can you still your your PCCB calipers? I don't know much about this and am trying to learn. Lastly, how much would it cost to retrofit to the steels on average? Thank You
OK, BS warning/disclaimer, I have neither researched this myself (in detail), however over the years I have observed a few GT3 owners in the 997 forum do so...

1stly, here is the bad news, I dont think anyone has yet produced a 410mm aftermarket replacement for the 991 generation ... not that I am aware of
but that means nothing!

I know that for the 997's Brembo offers a replacement rotor set at around $5xxx to exchange f&r ... talk to Alex @ Sharkwerks for more details.

I believe that PFC also have a similar replacement set, as do the new guys Fusion.

Not sure if either Alcon or Griodisc also have a solution... but all this is for the
997 I'm pretty much in the dark about the 991 ... but given that those rotors
will be available on the GT4 and the 991.2 S as options I dont think it will
be long before options become available.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:45 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never quite understood. Why is it that PCCB lasts "forever" on the street but wears out so much faster than cast iron on the track?
Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shaytun
I never quite understood. Why is it that PCCB lasts "forever" on the street but wears out so much faster that cast iron on the track?
The rate of wear street vs track is SIGNIFICANT, so I am not sure PCCB will
last "the lifetime of the car" on the street but they will last a very long time!

AFAIK they dont actually wear out faster than steels on track, but once they wear out the replacement cost is significant... hence the reluctance to track them ...
Old 12-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
I never quite understood. Why is it that PCCB lasts "forever" on the street but wears out so much faster than cast iron on the track?
I wasn't aware that PCCB's wore out faster than cast iron on track, I thought they actually lasted somewhat longer; especially the latest generation. However, when they DO wear out, they're much more expensive to replace.

PCCB's also wear longer on the street, and under less severe conditions that translates to very long life, even if not "forever". That's my understanding, anyway.

Edit: Should have noticed Larry's comment above before I posted redundant info....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-27-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:02 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, BS warning/disclaimer, I have neither researched this myself (in detail), however over the years I have observed a few GT3 owners in the 997 forum do so...

1stly, here is the bad news, I dont think anyone has yet produced a 410mm aftermarket replacement for the 991 generation ... not that I am aware of
but that means nothing!

I know that for the 997's Brembo offers a replacement rotor set at around $5xxx to exchange f&r ... talk to Alex @ Sharkwerks for more details.

I believe that PFC also have a similar replacement set, as do the new guys Fusion.

Not sure if either Alcon or Griodisc also have a solution... but all this is for the
997 I'm pretty much in the dark about the 991 ... but given that those rotors
will be available on the GT4 and the 991.2 S as options I dont think it will
be long before options become available.

Great information as always from you Larry. I appreciate it! Are the 991 cars generation 3 PCCBs if a person has that option? Thank You!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I tracked my 997.2 GT3 RS a handful of times on the PCCBs when I first bought the car. I did notice that the pads (OE) wore significantly faster than what I was used to with track pads on cast iron rotors. I switched to cast iron rotors after the second or third set of pads.

From what I've read and heard so far, this current generation of PCCBs wear much better, pad life is much longer and so far are proving to be quite durable.

The biggest problem I see for those that track the car frequently are the size of the PCCB caliper on the front axle. In order to fit 19" wheels on the car (in order to get better and/or cheaper track rubber) you'll need to down-size the caliper. That means either an OE big red caliper or a 3rd party caliper.

For what it's worth, I optioned my 991 GT3 with PCCBs and couldn't be happier with my choice. However, it is a street car, not a track car. If I had tracking in mind as it's intended use, I would have gone for the cast iron rotors instead.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:37 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The rate of wear street vs track is SIGNIFICANT, so I am not sure PCCB will
last "the lifetime of the car" on the street but they will last a very long time!

AFAIK they dont actually wear out faster than steels on track, but once they wear out the replacement cost is significant... hence the reluctance to track them ...
Okay, that makes more sense.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Great information as always from you Larry. I appreciate it! Are the 991 cars generation 3 PCCBs if a person has that option? Thank You!
Yes.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Racing brake makes 410mm steel replacements and also a much cheaper and better CCM rotors.

http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7233.htm

Lots of good info in this forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ally-here.html
Old 12-27-2015, 05:44 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

More info

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-03.htm

Quick Reply: To PCCB or not PCCB