Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PCCB or not PCCB

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, gentlemen. Well said. PCCBs...you're going back on my check list. There's just something about the yellow calipers + white paint + yellow belts that gets my heart pumping.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Well said, gentlemen. Well said. PCCBs...you're going back on my check list. There's just something about the yellow calipers + white paint + yellow belts that gets my heart pumping.
And that's what this is all about, right?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, you actually own the dang car. What can you tell us about the PCCBs?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

PCCBs when you really really need to feel like a marketing victim
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Marketing = the art of selling a (in this case) £100k car to someone that can afford it and selling almost the same car for £125k to someone else who can afford that.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
So true. I can't believe how many people actually spec these things.

Here's a question: if the steels were the new technology and they were marketed as being imperceptibly heavier, but race-proven, and with a smoother bite and lower replacement costs, and they came in a fancy color (any reasonable color - just different than stock), would the uptake rates be different?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
So true. I can't believe how many people actually spec these things.

Here's a question: if the steels were the new technology and they were marketed as being imperceptibly heavier, but race-proven, and with a smoother bite and lower replacement costs, and they came in a fancy color (any reasonable color - just different than stock), would the uptake rates be different?

But there is the thing...they aren't... Are they decent equipment? Yes...but do you see the steel brakes on the GT3 on the Cup version? No...they are different...meaning the steels on the road car are going to be OK for the track but again...mainly for the road. So until that changes, which would be a really sick option truth be told (GT steel brake option for lets say a 4.5k options price)...why not go PCCB and and track using replacement steel?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For those of you posting out of ignorance let me shed some light. The PCCB have been improved several times and are not the same as the 996 versions at all. This is my first car with PCCB (MY 2014). This is also my 4th 911....first 3 with steel brakes. I am not a trackie but for DAILY use these are just as smooth, if not smoother, than the steel brakes. They give off no brake dust and lower unsprung weight. They are better than the steel brakes in every way except price. I don't give a rats *** about the price so I got the best. IF you have driven a new car with new PCCB then please comment....otherwise no one really cares. How many of you have driven a new GT3 with and without PCCB?....exactly...no one. Please don't be offended but I'll take my advice from Andreas Pruniger....not from someone who got steels and is trying to defend their decision. The steels are great....the PCCB are better. period .end of story.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
For those of you posting out of ignorance let me shed some light. The PCCB have been improved several times and are not the same as the 996 versions at all. This is my first car with PCCB (MY 2014). This is also my 4th 911....first 3 with steel brakes. I am not a trackie but for DAILY use these are just as smooth, if not smoother, than the steel brakes. They give off no brake dust and lower unsprung weight. They are better than the steel brakes in every way except price. I don't give a rats *** about the price so I got the best. IF you have driven a new car with new PCCB then please comment....otherwise no one really cares. How many of you have driven a new GT3 with and without PCCB?....exactly...no one. Please don't be offended but I'll take my advice from Andreas Pruniger....not from someone who got steels and is trying to defend their decision. The steels are great....the PCCB are better. period .end of story.
I was gonna stay out of the debate this time, but this post yanked me in.

What about all of the guys that got their cars optioned with the gen2 PCCB and have since taken them off? They did so for a reason. You say this is your first PCCB car. How about taking the opinion of someone that just got pccb and is trying to defend their decision with a grain of salt as well? PCCB are NOT better. period. end of story. Anytime you state in absolutes, you're gonna get called out. period. end of story. There are good reasons to get either iron OR pccb. It all depends on the individual and their intended use.

I was able to get 5 track days out of the front rotors on my gen2 pccb equipped spyder before the wear indicators started to show. I now have 5 track days on my brembo type 3 iron pccb replacement rotors. The rotors are still in great shape and have at least another 5 more days to go. I'm guessing much more than 5, given that the brakes are oversized for the application. The switch to iron did not adversely affect the car or my lap times, and likely improved them because I can run pfc08 pads now.
The following users liked this post:
weppner911T (11-08-2023)
Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh boy, the rotors ARE BACK Not sure why we are beating the dead horse here guys. I think it's clear that for track steel is the way to go due to replacement cost. I would also consider tracking a a Caymen-S for track use or a older CUP car unless $ is not an issue then who cares what the PCCB's cost. Lets move on and please lets not bring this old subject up again. Just send the people with the same question to the old threads.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all the new PCCB are Gen.3. Second, I stated that I am not a trackie and I was referring to daily driving...learn to read? Hypothetically, lets make PCCB a no cost option. I would say 100% would choose it...therefore I say they are better. 10K better though? To me yes...to you no...but they are better. Lastly, I am not defending my decision. I know they are super expensive and for many not worth it. What I am saying is that they are better. 10K for no brake dust and bling....ya, so what?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sechsgang
But there is the thing...they aren't... Are they decent equipment? Yes...but do you see the steel brakes on the GT3 on the Cup version? No...they are different...meaning the steels on the road car are going to be OK for the track but again...mainly for the road. So until that changes, which would be a really sick option truth be told (GT steel brake option for lets say a 4.5k options price)...why not go PCCB and and track using replacement steel?
hmmmm...991 GT3 Cup running
Front axle: internally vented and slotted; Aluminium six-piston racing callipers in monobloc design; Multipiece steel brake discs; internally vented and sloted, 380 mm diameter; Racing brake pads;

and...991 GT3 running
Front axle: internally vented and cross-drilled; 6-piston aluminium monobloc fixed caliper brakes; Compound brake discs with aluminium brake chambers, diameter of 380 mm....
Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If someone was paying for my replacement rotors, I would have PCCBS for street and track. The lower unsprung weight is why. I doubt there is anyone here who, if they had the chance to drive their car with two different sets of wheels--one being 7-8 pounds heavier--would ever pick the heavy wheels. They would pick the lighter ones every time. That's what PCCBs do to your overall unsprung corner weight.

For the street, they are nicer (so, better). The smoothness over road imperfections and bumps due to the lower inertia of a lighter wheel-brake combination is worth it to me, and definitely noticeable. I have it on two cars. The lack of brake dust is a plus. As far as squeal, I have it occasionally on my steels and my ceramics.

I think it was said the best above--if it was a no cost option, and the replacements were the same cost, almost no one would pick steel. someday, the technology may allow this.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

First of all the new PCCB are Gen.3. Second, I stated that I am not a trackie and I was referring to daily driving...learn to read? Hypothetically, lets make PCCB a no cost option. I would say 100% would choose it...therefore I say they are better. 10K better though? To me yes...to you no...but they are better. Lastly, I am not defending my decision. I know they are super expensive and for many not worth it. What I am saying is that they are better. 10K for no brake dust and bling....ya, so what?
Alrighty, then. We have a tough guy that thinks he can take advantage of pccb on the street. Sweet. Go back and read your post. You are totally defending your decision. I can respect your decision, but your bold statement said that pccb are 'better. period.' I'm saying that is NOT the case.

So you have good experience on Gen 3 rotor performance? Other than no brake dust and bling, please tell us how they are so much better than the gen 2. Oh wait... nobody knows yet because they haven't been around long enough for people to really test them. If it was a no cost option, yes, I would get them to test them on track, and then switch to the larger 410mm iron rotors after they fall apart within 10 track days, assuming they are two times better than the gen 2 rotors. There's reason AP has suggested that Porsche will offer 410mm iron replacements for pccb.

I'm totally ok with you admitting that you like the pccb for the brake dust and bling. Bravo that you feel the money is worth it to you. It's not for everyone. Deal with it.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

For your intended use of the PCCBs, please explain how they are better? You are the same guy who didn't buy a GT3 because "quiet and comfortable (and safe over speed bumps) are high on my list of needs." Clearly it is not the performance aspects of the PCCBs that drove your decision; it is status. You bought them not because they are materially better, but because they look cool to you, produce no dust and price is irrelevant. That's your right, but you don't need to cop some imperious attitude about it.

Quick Reply: To PCCB or not PCCB