Sponsored by:

Important Notice: Bluetooth "option 619" on the 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:39 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^ Thanks, Chris. I'm just sorry some folks missed the discussion back then.

I don't think it was a matter of saying no as much as it was that people didn't realize that an obscure option was needed for Bluetooth connectivity. You see the descriptions of PCM which included mention of Bluetooth and you figure everything is fine.

I didn't have 619 checked at first either, but got suspicious about that $0 option and started making phone calls. I finally got feedback through my salesman from PCNA's chief ordering guru in the US and he said the option was required so I posted about it.

I agree with you that Porsche should have made the requirement clear.
Yeah, I guess what I meant was why even make it an option? I can't imagine a single person consciously saying no to that $0 option, and somewhere, somehow, a person at Porsche decided to make it a $0 option. Although it likely adds half a pound
Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My gues is marketing and Cost saving.
Marketing: Wow, look at all these free $0 options from Porsche.
CS: Someone who doesn't smoke will not put a chk mark in the cigarret lighter and saves VW $5
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Yeah, I guess what I meant was why even make it an option? I can't imagine a single person consciously saying no to that $0 option, and somewhere, somehow, a person at Porsche decided to make it a $0 option. Although it likely adds half a pound
And my guess is, therein lies part of the reason (in addition to what silverrules points out above). In a misguided attempt to "add lightness" or stick to the spirit of a "race car for the street" Porsche made PCM and NAV a $0 option, as well as Bluetooth. If they had included that stuff as standard to begin with someone would have criticized them for going soft with the 991 GT3 (which of course has happened anyway ). Unfortunately, they mucked up the ordering process for the first buyers.

I agree with you; once someone has decided to order PCM/NAV, Bluetooth should come along for the ride. As 911dev has pointed out, at least they've now changed the description in the configurator. Better late than never.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
^^ Thanks, Chris. I'm just sorry some folks missed the discussion back then.

I don't think it was a matter of saying no as much as it was that people didn't realize that an obscure option was needed for Bluetooth connectivity. You see the descriptions of PCM which included mention of Bluetooth and you figure everything is fine.

I didn't have 619 checked at first either, but got suspicious about that $0 option and started making phone calls. I finally got feedback through my salesman from PCNA's chief ordering guru in the US and he said the option was required so I posted about it.

I agree with you that Porsche should have made the requirement clear.

Exactly. Historically the only thing a mobile prep package has done is allow for the use of a sim card to turn the car into a phone. That is an option for most of us in the US that is not needed. But for some reason they decided to change it up for only the GT3...again...totally non sensible and overall just a dumb thing. Even if one person is "duped"...that's too many. And given many new "only hands-free allowed" states, that could be really annoying.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 AM
mshahidz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the car to the dealer, they are saying its a $1799.99 +650 for install job.
Ridiculous.
They are taking no responsibility in the matter whatsoever, instead I was told "lots of people are optioning them without bluetooth intentionally".
I do not know what to do at this point, I called PCNA and was told its a dealer issue.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by mshahidz
Took the car to the dealer, they are saying its a $1799.99 +650 for install job.
Ridiculous.
They are taking no responsibility in the matter whatsoever, instead I was told "lots of people are optioning them without bluetooth intentionally".
I do not know what to do at this point, I called PCNA and was told its a dealer issue.
Man, I'm completely sorry...that's a load of ****. There is no excuse for that crap at all. If it wasn't for reading on this forum, I wouldn't have added the Mobile Phone Prep to my car at all either.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I feel for you mshadidz. $2,450 installed is too much for bluetooth. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a $60 bluetooth handsfree speakerphone from BlueAnt or Jabra and move on.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

On the US Configurator, Option 619 is now called "Bluetooth Hands Free Mobile Phone Interface"

Seems at least they are trying to make it clear via the configurator.

Ryan
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't have stock BT because it's a race car.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
It doesn't have stock BT because it's a race car.
That smiley face should be a lot bigger or the car should have an option for a full cage an stripped interior.

Ryan
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

But, I mean, it's a race car the dealer told me.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@mshahidz -- It should be $799, not $1,799, as your dealer said (plus installation). Link from Suncoast below:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...T3INTERIORELEC
Old 01-24-2014, 01:29 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is it's not just speaker phone. It also allows you to play music from your phone through the stereo.

So if you want to play your stored mp3, or stream Pandora etc. this allows it.

My car showed up without it and it was a surprise to the dealer. They are trying to sort it out for me now with Porsche covering it. We'll see.

Dealer is The Auto Gallery. I'll post the resolution.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

I'll just use google glass BT, it was only $1,500 lol. My dealer said a number the customers are pretty upset, so he is going to try and rectify it, with some type of module plug in.. Who knows. I'm too happy with the car to worry about it for now. I always carry around a Bose, and JawBone BT anyways, and sometimes a pain for the other party to switch to the car when your going back and forth..
Old 01-24-2014, 04:04 AM
mshahidz
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0Q991
@mshahidz -- It should be $799, not $1,799, as your dealer said (plus installation). Link from Suncoast below:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...T3INTERIORELEC
Hey,

Yes, I know this now.

I requested Suncoast to add this to the catalogue so I can buy it

Quick Reply: Important Notice: Bluetooth "option 619" on the 991 GT3