Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Radar detector install (V1) in 991 GT3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/795742-radar-detector-install-v1-in-991-gt3.html)

Mike in CA 01-16-2014 10:13 PM

Radar detector install (V1) in 991 GT3

6 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd share a few tips from my V1 installation today.

1. There is an unused, switched circuit in the passenger side fuse box. Row D position 2. I find using this location is much easier than trying to tap into the overhead console.

2. You'll need to pull off a short portion of the weather stripping to remove the carpet piece surrounding the fuse box. This also gives access to fish the connecting wire from above to the box. There is black sealant on the weather stripping and you will invariably get a bit on your fingers. Be very careful not to touch any of the alcantera surfaces. I covered the passenger seat and also the door sill to prevent any other scratches.

3. There is a good grounding point for the connector module behind the carpet panel.

4. Using a flat connector cord (comes with the V1 but any flat telephone cord with RJ11 connector will do) makes it easy to tuck the cord under the edge of the headliner, between the A pillar trim and the windshield, and between the dash and bottom of the A pillar down to the fuse box.

5. I used a fuse tap with a spare fuse. The spade clip from the connector module connects to this. You can also get fuses with built in piggy back connectors.

6. Connect everything up and test with the ignition switch before putting all the pieces back together. If everything works, button it all back up. There's a space inside the fuse panel to tuck the connector module, spare wire, etc, I pack it with foam to prevent any possibility of rattling, although this is one car where other noises might drown that out. If done properly the installation is invisible except for the detector itself and the short piece of wire that emerges from the headliner.

SamFromTX 01-16-2014 10:17 PM

HandyMikeinCA! Good job.

armbar 01-16-2014 10:29 PM

Excellent! Great information.

Thanks for posting!

silverrules 01-16-2014 10:38 PM

LOL Mike.That's great. Couple yrs ago while heading out of Tahoe on my guards red C4S I saw a truck coming the opposite direction that appeared to be a cop, looked at my valentine 1 and no beeps. I was doing approximately 10 to 15 over the limit. He made a u turn and gave a me a ticket. He said I was approximately going 10 over the speed the limit. When he came behind me and turned his radar I had slowed down already to speed limit and V-1 was beeping but he gave the ticket anyway. Its just luck. When its time they will write me again.

neanicu 01-16-2014 10:45 PM

Great info Mike!
I'm sure you've done this before and being an engineer,you're probably an expert.
I'm always paranoid when installing something aftermarket that it will become a source for parasitic drain and I'll wake up to a dead battery.
It's probably not the case of a V1 but I've seen it happening...
My question : do you use a DVOM to make sure?
I'd close myself inside the car,remove key and wait a few minutes for all modules to " go to sleep ". Then set the DVOM on mV and see if there's any draw across that fuse. It should show 0.0 mV. If you see anything above 0 then you have parasitic draw on the battery.
I'm sure I'm just being paranoid... ;)

jfr0317 01-16-2014 10:49 PM

Thanks for posting this, Mike!

kfmcmahon 01-16-2014 11:19 PM

nice and clean...i hate seeing wires!
Is there any way to tap into the rear view mirror circuitry wire harness?
i did this on my car and it works well also--has rg6 cord to V1

http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6images...visicordin.jpg

http://www.southerncarparts.com/imag...TH%20LOGOS.gif

Mike in CA 01-17-2014 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by neanicu (Post 11057886)
Great info Mike!
I'm sure you've done this before and being an engineer,you're probably an expert.
I'm always paranoid when installing something aftermarket that it will become a source for parasitic drain and I'll wake up to a dead battery.
It's probably not the case of a V1 but I've seen it happening...
My question : do you use a DVOM to make sure?
I'd close myself inside the car,remove key and wait a few minutes for all modules to " go to sleep ". Then set the DVOM on mV and see if there's any draw across that fuse. It should show 0.0 mV. If you see anything above 0 then you have parasitic draw on the battery.
I'm sure I'm just being paranoid... ;)

It's good to be paranoid! Yes, I have a nice Fluke digital multi-meter and I tested several circuits before finding one with 0 draw when the ignition was off, regardless of door position. I have done this same add in several Porsches so it's pretty straightforward for me. What's nice about the 991 and latest generation Cayenne is that there is also a passenger side fuse box, making the run to the detector, which I like to have on the passenger side of the RV mirror, easier.

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon (Post 11057983)
nice and clean...i hate seeing wires!
Is there any way to tap into the rear view mirror circuitry wire harness?
i did this on my car and it works well also--has rg6 cord to V1

I don't know; didn't try it. My concern with that location is about getting the overhead console or mirror housing apart without damaging some little plastic piece, having room in the housing to fit a connector, fuse, wiring etc., and then taking a chance on finding a switched circuit I can access. It's a no-go as AFAIC to use an unswitched circuit, as I'm guaranteed to forget to turn the detector on or off. At the fuse box, it's almost always possible to find something I can use.

The mirror might work fine especially with a specialized kit (obviously it did for you), but I went with what I was familiar with and has worked well for me in the past.

Z356 01-17-2014 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike:

Excellent & informative post. Thank you!

A) California recently changed the law so that it does not allow you to attach a device such as a radar detector directly to the windshield (supposedly obstructs view). Thus, do you have a plan for an alternative mounting position (e.g. under the rear view mirror) and have you allocated the extra cord length necessary for reaching an alternative location? http://www.blendmount.com/

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7672...and-991-a.html

B) Are you using a Savvy attachment with your Valentine One?
http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/ 'So that you can keep your attention where it belongs, SAVVY turns down the volume of V1’s warning automatically at low speeds'. I have them on both the R8 Spyder & the Mini JCW and it helps.

Last and not least, congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful Guards Red 991 gt3! Looking forward to seeing it on your next trip to Carmel!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in Scottsdale

24Chromium 01-17-2014 01:34 AM

Brilliant, thank you!

Dr.Bill 01-17-2014 01:54 AM

Looks like a good solution Mike!
My plan is to use a blend mount and tap into the mirror power. Worked like a champ on the R8. And it doesn't bounce around like the suction cup mount.

Mike in CA 01-17-2014 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11058257)
Mike:

Excellent & informative post. Thank you!

A) California recently changed the law so that it does not allow you to attach a device such as a radar detector directly to the windshield (supposedly obstructs view). Thus, do you have a plan for an alternative mounting position (e.g. under the rear view mirror) and have you allocated the extra cord length necessary for reaching an alternative location?

B) Are you using a Savvy attachment with your Valentine One?
http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/ 'So that you can keep your attention where it belongs, SAVVY turns down the volume of V1’s warning automatically at low speeds'. I have them on both the R8 Spyder & the Mini JCW and it helps.

Last and not least, congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful Guards Red 991 gt3! Looking forward to seeing it on your next trip to Carmel!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in Scottsdale

Thanks, Eduardo. I'm familiar with the CA law regarding windshield mounting which I suppose makes me a scoff-law as I've continued using a windshield mount anyway! I've seen the blend mount and although it's an elegant solution in many ways, I'd prefer not to have the detector hanging below the mirror; at the top of the windshield it's less obvious both inside and from outside the car. But if push comes to shove I have plenty of cord length for an alternate arrangement. No, I don't have the SAVVY (might be a good upgrade at some point).

I'd love to get together again; I thoroughly enjoyed our meeting at Laguna Seca!

Z356 01-17-2014 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 11058310)
Thanks, Eduardo. I'm familiar with the CA law regarding windshield mounting which I suppose makes me a scoff-law as I've continued using a windshield mount anyway! I've seen the blend mount and although it's an elegant solution in many ways, I'd prefer not to have the detector hanging below the mirror; at the top of the windshield it's less obvious both inside and from outside the car. But if push comes to shove I have plenty of cord length for an alternate arrangement. No, I don't have the SAVVY (might be a good upgrade at some point).

I'd love to get together again; I thoroughly enjoyed our meeting at Laguna Seca!

Mike: Looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Carmel!

By the way, the SAVVY also acts as a power source: "SAVVY stays nearly out of sight down under your steering column where it serves as V1’s power source. It replaces the Lighter Adapter or the Direct-wire Power Adapter. Just plug it into the OBD diagnostic port, standard on every new car and light truck built since January 1, 1996. Then plug V1’s power cord into one of the two, built-in RJ-11 jacks (the other jack powers all V1 accessories)."

Originally Posted by RayDBonz (Post 11058288)
Worked like a champ on the R8.

Dr. Bill: I want to thank you for facilitating the sale of that wonderful set of R8 fitted leather luggage (Bespoke Ltd) for my Spyder. It was a pleasure to meet you on this trip to Scottsdale and looking forward to seeing you next in Carmel! And good luck with your upcoming 991 gt3 delivery in a few month's time!

Saludos,
Eduardo

alpine-al 01-17-2014 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 11058349)
... Just plug it into the OBD diagnostic port, standard on every new car and light truck built since January 1, 1996. Then plug V1’s power cord into one of the two, built-in RJ-11 jacks (the other jack powers all V1 accessories)...

Plugging the SAVVY into the GT3's OBD port could be difficult as it is now located in the drivers side fuse box and there isn't much space between the OBD port and the fuse box cover.

24Chromium 01-17-2014 12:30 PM

I've had a V1 since 1997. I've never used the audible beeps as my warning. I too have it on the windshield, near the mirror. I find that the LEDs are enough to alert me. In fact, I wrote to Valentine shortly after purchasing mine, to suggest that they change the design to use different colored LEDs for the various radar types. I got a prompt response stating that they thought it was a great idea, but I guess Mike is a tight-wad, since it's never made it into production. One of these days I'm gonna take mine apart and retro-fit the colored LEDs myself.