Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Gotta a financial question, will hit you with a PM
Old 01-19-2014, 03:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Camera car driver is excellent. Pumpkin car, not so much, but I'm sure he's just getting used to it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Camera car driver is excellent. Pumpkin car, not so much, but I'm sure he's just getting used to it.
Peter-

I just looked your site up and saw who you are and what qualifications you have. Obviously, this is what you do for living, so coming from you, WHAT A COMPLIMENT!!

Thanks for making my day
Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ychaudhary
Damn you guys... I cant hit the track until March
2nd
Old 01-19-2014, 04:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Camera car driver is excellent. Pumpkin car, not so much
Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by est8esq
Peter-

I just looked your site up and saw who you are and what qualifications you have. Obviously, this is what you do for living, so coming from you, WHAT A COMPLIMENT!!

Thanks for making my day
Hahaha! I was just on the 991 GT3 forum looking at the F-car vs 991 GT3 thread and saw that you made mention of having that car on track at Sebring last weekend. Looked at the avatar and said, "hmmm, THAT looks like our camera car!"

Seriously, very nice. Only suggestion is you're rushing the entry for Turn 5 and can afford to square off a little deeper into T17 (further left) before turning harder to go under the bridge perpendicularly.

What was fun for me was to watch and LISTEN to what you were doing after you passed the orange car. Your downshift TIMING was very good (yes, I know the PDK enters into it) in RELATION to where you began corner entry. Showed that you had a VERY good plan of what you wanted to do before you got there...

Also, your throttle commitment and "building" at corner entry and through the subsequent corners was impressive.

It's a pleasure to see one of these marvelous cars exercised well!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahaha! I was just on the 991 GT3 forum looking at the F-car vs 991 GT3 thread and saw that you made mention of having that car on track at Sebring last weekend. Looked at the avatar and said, "hmmm, THAT looks like our camera car!"

Seriously, very nice. Only suggestion is you're rushing the entry for Turn 5 and can afford to square off a little deeper into T17 (further left) before turning harder to go under the bridge perpendicularly.

What was fun for me was to watch and LISTEN to what you were doing after you passed the orange car. Your downshift TIMING was very good (yes, I know the PDK enters into it) in RELATION to where you began corner entry. Showed that you had a VERY good plan of what you wanted to do before you got there...

Also, your throttle commitment and "building" at corner entry and through the subsequent corners was impressive.

It's a pleasure to see one of these marvelous cars exercised well!
Thanks for the pointers and I know EXACTLY what you're suggesting. Will try your suggestions out this coming weekend and looking forward to it.

About shifting, I went a few rounds w/ a couple local guys I met while at Sebring and as we shared war stories, they were adamant that the PDK in "drive" vs manual shifting was so intuitive that I couldn't do it better than the engineers at Porsche created?

I respectfully disagreed. Since 2007, when I gave up on my 996 TTS, I've been manually shifting myself (F360, F430 & then Nissan GT-R). I'm very used to it. I actually count and talk to myself in my downshifts.

However, not wanting to be like "Mikey" (for the younger guys who don't know what I'm talking about, it's an old cereal commercial ) So, I tried it. Can't stand it.

So, even your comments on shifting are well taken and greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've looked at your calendar and hope to be able to hook up w/ you some time on a formal basis when I can coordinate my schedule w/ yours.

Will PM you.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its funny you should say that about the auto. As good as it is as I never enjoyed it unless around town where it allowed me to concentrate on the sights of Europe. I have no doubt that PDK-S Sport is faster and more efficient tan using it in manual on the track but unless I constantly fumble the paddles I cant see myself driving it that way. Maybe being a PDK newbie Im just resistent, although Ill try and keep an open mind...
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Maddogoz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that you have your left foot free. Are you left foot breaking?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by est8esq
Thanks for the pointers and I know EXACTLY what you're suggesting. Will try your suggestions out this coming weekend and looking forward to it.

BTW, I've looked at your calendar and hope to be able to hook up w/ you some time on a formal basis when I can coordinate my schedule w/ yours.

Will PM you.
Good. I can't wait to hear of the results! And that would be fun to work together this year.

You can gain time two places in Turn 5. Going in and coming out. Mostly by compressing the brake-turn interval and getting the car pointed towards the exit sooner, instead of grinding the right front and "waiting" on the throttle coming out.

Go further (goal of accelerating longer, braking later-harder and for a shorter period of time) along the right half of the road after the curbing entering Turn 5. Draw an arc that takes your right front tire over the right twenty-four to thirty-six inches of the leading edge of the concrete patch.

Turn left quicker. Do NOT dally with steering input and definitely try to begin turning the car on the brakes, in the beginning of the corner. When it begins to yaw (and control the rate of that yaw buildup by the speed of releasing the brakes), open the wheel slowly as you apply power (in a connected way to the release of the steering) and rub the inside front tire up against (but not ON) the inside curb where it protrudes more than the rest of the curb.

By that point, you should have a much straighter shot out without having to "wait" on the car going in (the "dead time" between the end of slowing (or heaven forbid, coasting) going into T 5) and the point you can commit unceasingly to throttle to go through and come out of this critical corner.

Data (and video) shows that there is a tremendous variance in a driver's execution and performance yield IN THAT CORNER. It's very worthwhile to work at it.

You do Turn 3 so well, some of this could be better transferred to Turn 5...

In Turn 17, well, do a search in the DE/Racing section "Turn 17 Sebring." There were a number of us that took it apart and even posted Google maps with lines and geometry, it was COOL!

Here's the thread...https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...turn-17-a.html

David Tuaty, Aaron Povoledo and a few others agree with my assessment that there is FAR too much wasted time due to people driving around the inside of the corner, which doesn't allow people to execute fundamental skills (gas-brake-turn-go) in the best and most consistent way...

The key is to preserve speed going in (as opposed to slowing too soon and coasting to the second turn-in point to go under the bridge), reduce the time it takes to turn the car, running a little wider than the two biggest bumps approaching and then under the bridge and to begin opening the wheel sooner rather than later for maximum progressive throttle commitment.

Turn 17 is certainly one of the most challenging corners in North America, but really wonderful when you get it right!

Good luck. Sorry for taking this thread OT.

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-20-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st one on track at Sebring