Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st one on track at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys really don't know Sebring, car is been driving WAY far from it's limits. Best lap I recorded from the video is a 2;29 - First time out with my bone stock .2 RS I was lapping 2.23 with passenger, so yes, car is quick, but a lot left out there. The Orange RS is a much quicker car all around, but not stock.
Please not disregarding the driver by any means, just trying to say that the 991 is a fast car.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know Sebring. Its 13000 km from me. Relatively to what else I saw being driven on that track the car seemed quick and composed, but I have no idea if the driver was quick or slow.

Your USA tracks often appear to me to be flat and relatively long with huge acres of run off. They also have long straights. By comparison our tracks and short and very tight with not much run off and plenty of Armco. Many of our tracks have huge elevation changes and things like cork screws. I think our track designs may be more based on Europe like Spa. If you have ever seen the track at Bathurst in Australia you will get an (extreme) idea. That being said I guess with the number of tracks in the USA you probably have all types and bases covered! lack of camber on that track must make it alot of fun in the wet....
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
you guys really don't know Sebring, car is been driving WAY far from it's limits. Best lap I recorded from the video is a 2;29 - First time out with my bone stock .2 RS I was lapping 2.23 with passenger, so yes, car is quick, but a lot left out there. The Orange RS is a much quicker car all around, but not stock.
Please not disregarding the driver by any means, just trying to say that the 991 is a fast car.
I was just thinking to time the laps..thanks for doing that for me, great minds..
If the GT3 is a 4.0 beater with only 25HP less and the HP compensating for that with go-faster gimmicks than it should have been lapping at 2:17 -2:19's in this weather on those tires; Rangers' Champion development car had some issues that weekend and he's constantly getting used to the latest setup, shiftermethingy, etc.

I ran 2:27's and a few 2:26's in my '93 RSA with about 300hp (265 Dyno) on R6.

Safe to say that the Gt3 was not pushed that hard and i would not either with delivery miles and 140+ k at stake withe unforgiving concrete walls everywhere at Sebring.

But this is a great concern for when it gets hot and you really start pushing the car..
Specially limp mode in a Gt3. That's stuff for other brands. GT3's don't go limp at the track ever! There can be no overheating tranny or engine or brakes just like CUP cars. If they do, its not a GT3, its a GTS at best..

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 01-17-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great video! Thanks for sharing
Old 01-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice driving but have to agree that there is more on the table there. My favorite track to wring it all out and the 991 GT3 with RWS should be a killer there.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 AM
jenk12m
Banned

definitely more there in both cars

im just glad to see ours cars on the track where they belong
Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Watched the video twice....thanks for posting.
Both cars seems quick...& man is Sebring bumpy.... I'd love to see the 12hr race one day.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been off Rennlist for a number of years since I sold my last TT and ran GT-R's for a while, but forgot how much fun it is to share w/ fellow Porsche enthusiasts!

If any of you are following some of the other threads, you'll know I've been having problems w/ this car and unfortunately only was able to run for one full day on Saturday before going back into limp mode. That's when this video was taken. Thursday was nothing but rain. Friday is when I broke down and drove all the way to Sarasota to get the car fixed. Drove back Friday night and ran this video first time out Saturday.

This run was first opportunity I had to really run the car and honestly hadn't planned on pressing even as hard as I did? I had this orange RS on me while we were still in traffic and after letting him pass, I guess I couldn't help myself?

The gentleman who drove the RS found me after this run in the paddock (I had Foreign Affairs crewing for me) and had a chance to shake hands. He was kind enough to share that he hadn't had that much fun in years. I have to admit, my mouth hurt from smiling so much.

The car is absolutely amazing. The all wheel steering is soooo inexplicable. I was probably at 85%-90% of car's potential (at least for my driving skills and first time really running. I think the car had 300 miles on it, 250 of it from the drive to and from Sarasota's dealer made the day earlier.)

What I noticed, especially at the the "hairpin" was the traction control. Several other turns (mostly around 16), the traction control prevented higher speeds out, killing fuel. As I continue learning the car and getting comfortable driving a rear wheel drive vs. all wheel as I have for the past 6 years, I hope to obviously get faster and learn to "slide" the car as I believe it can. This car while so predictable is still new and I'm not 100% comfortable on the PS2's capacity to hold just yet either.

It's straight-line acceleration, due to the high revving redline keeps this thing so consistently in the sweet spot that you would swear you had a hundred more horsepower than its rating? This car out of the box will go toe-to-toe w/ ANYTHING. I'm certain of it.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I hope to have my car fixed in time to run at next week's Porsche 48 Hours at Sebring.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Dude-
Pro

More vids please!!! As I said earlier it was a very enjoyable and had me glued to the tube.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 AM
jenk12m
Banned

est8, thanks for sharing when you did get a chance to run the car
Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
I've been off Rennlist for a number of years since I sold my last TT and ran GT-R's for a while, but forgot how much fun it is to share w/ fellow Porsche enthusiasts!

If any of you are following some of the other threads, you'll know I've been having problems w/ this car and unfortunately only was able to run for one full day on Saturday before going back into limp mode. That's when this video was taken. Thursday was nothing but rain. Friday is when I broke down and drove all the way to Sarasota to get the car fixed. Drove back Friday night and ran this video first time out Saturday.

This run was first opportunity I had to really run the car and honestly hadn't planned on pressing even as hard as I did? I had this orange RS on me while we were still in traffic and after letting him pass, I guess I couldn't help myself?

The gentleman who drove the RS found me after this run in the paddock (I had Foreign Affairs crewing for me) and had a chance to shake hands. He was kind enough to share that he hadn't had that much fun in years. I have to admit, my mouth hurt from smiling so much.

The car is absolutely amazing. The all wheel steering is soooo inexplicable. I was probably at 85%-90% of car's potential (at least for my driving skills and first time really running. I think the car had 300 miles on it, 250 of it from the drive to and from Sarasota's dealer made the day earlier.)

What I noticed, especially at the the "hairpin" was the traction control. Several other turns (mostly around 16), the traction control prevented higher speeds out, killing fuel. As I continue learning the car and getting comfortable driving a rear wheel drive vs. all wheel as I have for the past 6 years, I hope to obviously get faster and learn to "slide" the car as I believe it can. This car while so predictable is still new and I'm not 100% comfortable on the PS2's capacity to hold just yet either.

It's straight-line acceleration, due to the high revving redline keeps this thing so consistently in the sweet spot that you would swear you had a hundred more horsepower than its rating? This car out of the box will go toe-to-toe w/ ANYTHING. I'm certain of it.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I hope to have my car fixed in time to run at next week's Porsche 48 Hours at Sebring.
Great to hear from you and see your video. Could you tell me how the tyres are holding up after a couple of track days?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

I am impressed with the 991 3
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
frayed
Race Car

Nice comments est8seq, particularly regarding your perspectives on the car coming from the GTR.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Matt, I can tell you do
Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this other thread, but it has closer pics of two cars I'm coming from. Two very different cars. GT-R was a 1200 HP Switzer Performance Ultimate Club Sport.

https://rennlist.com/forums/11052733-post49.html

Quick Reply: 1st one on track at Sebring