Warning on R compound tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:56 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warning on R compound tire

FYI to all
I was just warned by Porsche that installing R compound tires will void factory warranty.

While down at Sebring, Bob Woodman was suggesting the Trofeo R since we're so limited in 20" profile (and and we all know the R888 absolutely STINK).

I had him throw a set on the trailer, but never had the need to change the OEM out (since I was broken down half the time).

I recall reading in the owner's manual somewhere this same warning (albeit, reading owners manual compels a Porsche owner to turn one's "guy card" in). Dealer went out of way to be specific, knowing how much I track.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

slicks not allowed

trofeo R is not a slick
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info. Your new GT3 was broken down half the time?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
FYI to all
I was just warned by Porsche that installing R compound tires will void factory warranty.

While down at Sebring, Bob Woodman was suggesting the Trofeo R since we're so limited in 20" profile (and and we all know the R888 absolutely STINK).

I had him throw a set on the trailer, but never had the need to change the OEM out (since I was broken down half the time).

I recall reading in the owner's manual somewhere this same warning (albeit, reading owners manual compels a Porsche owner to turn one's "guy card" in). Dealer went out of way to be specific, knowing how much I track.
This is surprising because the Trofeo R are Pirelli's equivelant of the Sport Cup 2. I know that Bob Woodman sells them and the Tire Rack does not but did he say why would they recommend that tire over the stock SC2?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. What portion of the warranty did they say would be voided?

Doesn't the manual state 'slicks'? If so, then you dealer is equating all R comps to be slicks? I've always interpreted this to mean real racing slicks and not R comps.

---------------------------------

Also, the lines b/t various performance tires seem to be smeared. For example, Tire Rack lists the MPSC variants along with the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race as 'streetable track and competition,' a category that includes the Pirelli Pzero corsa, while the trofeo is lumped in with hoosiers.

It's going to get mighty confusing what can and cannot be run on the 991.

So I guess if you run on track with sticky rubber, you better make sure you swap out your non MPSCs and non Sport Maxx's before going in for service.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not so sure about your info. I've got a 991 C2S, and the manual only makes mention of slicks, nothing about r-comps. I've run Trofeo R on my car and have had service done on my car with no issues whatsoever.

Given that the PSC2 are standard on the car and are R-comps, it would be pretty odd for Porsche to say that they would void the warranty.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Your warranty can not be "voided" by using a DOT approved street tire in stock sizes. The Trofeo R is a DOT approved street tire.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM
est8esq
Racer

Good points.
My text SPECIFICALLY stated to me "R compound", so I'll have to confirm.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Bacura
Thanks for the info. Your new GT3 was broken down half the time?
Yes, Cam sensor issues?

It's still at dealer waiting for more info from Porsche?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

The Sport Cup 2 is a basically an R-compound. Actually, it's better than a lot of R-compounds in grip and overall handling characteristics. Just guessing and I'm not a P-car owner, but I thought they said slicks (i.e true Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin race slicks) weren't allowed. R-comp shouldn't be an issue.

I would guess the Sport Cup 2 has better grip overall than the Trofeo R.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:23 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Quikag
The Sport Cup 2 is a basically an R-compound. Actually, it's better than a lot of R-compounds in grip and overall handling characteristics. Just guessing and I'm not a P-car owner, but I thought they said slicks (i.e true Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin race slicks) weren't allowed. R-comp shouldn't be an issue.

I would guess the Sport Cup 2 has better grip overall than the Trofeo R.
In full disclosure, I am NOT a techy and admittedly less knowledgeable than most. I drive them and enjoy them and confident of running them at their paces, but really don't know more than what it is I know from experience.

Being that my GT3 is down and at the dealer, I was given a specific text warning me about R compounds? What everyone w/ much more knowledge than me states, all make great sense.

I've challenged my dealer now, given what all of you have written and have asked them to confirm. They said they'll get back to me by tomorrow.

Will let you all know.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Slicks too much load for those famous centerlocks ?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
I've challenged my dealer now, given what all of you have written and have asked them to confirm. They said they'll get back to me by tomorrow. Will let you all know.
Would be really interesting if your dealer has some information regarding as to why Porsche is specific about the use of slicks...
Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good.

There are threads a while back that specifically warned against "Slicks". I suspect (hope) your dealer got this wrong, and the ban is on true slicks. But still, there are some mighty sticky Dot R tires out there, like hoosiers and goodyear RS.

I think PAG will have trouble defining what is and what is not a slick. Kind of like trying to define ****.

------------------------

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Slicks too much load for those famous centerlocks ?
I don't think anybody knows. Lots of conjecture. Many pointing to RWS but with no basis.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your dealer has it wrong. I had this conversation with PAG. The MPSC2 is considered a Dot rated R compound by the tyre manufacturers. Trofeo is fine. Their blanket cover statement is "slicks". There is a big difference between a hoosier slick and a MPSC2. Maybe 2 seconds on a short course and at these elevated levels that's probably applying a 20% increase in inertia forces on the drive-train and chassis. All the while I was talking tyres I got the distinct impression the statement in the book was written for USA customers due to fear of litigation....

Quick Reply: Warning on R compound tire