Sponsored by:

Guards Red GT3 drive in NC

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Guards Red GT3 drive in NC

Yesterday, I was able to drive the first Guards Red GT3 in the country, courtesy of 930man, who graciously took time from his weekend to show me his new ride and go for spin.

Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate, as it rained the entire time and a tornado blew through town a few hours later. That limited what we could do on a drive in suburbia, but it was still very worthwhile.

Impressions-
1-the exhaust note is sick. A combination of a low purr at low speed to an awesome growl when you push the car. Very distinctive too. During part of the morning I followed the GT3 in another car on the freeway, and I could have followed him blindfolded, the exhaust note was so distinctive.

I'm not sure this car needs sharkwerks as it sounds so good from the factory.

2-Accleration is much better than 991S with PDK, as expected. Linear, without any interruption. So powerful, I can't wait to drive it on the track!
The PDK-S is fabulous and instantaneous. Much less theatrical that the 458 shifts, which is fine with me. I'd rather listen to RPM changes when shifting, not the transmission.
3-Steering is tighter with better communication than the 991. I felt much more connected to the road
4-Cosmetic- It takes everything you love about the look of previous GT3s and perfects it. It looks incredible from every angle.
5-Color- This car is incredible in Guards Red which is the color I long considered ordering for the GT3, but I didn't love GR on regular 911s or cayman. That concern ended yesterday after seeing the GT3 in Guards which matches the aggressive exterior design and character of a GT3 (compared to a 911/cayman/boxster). Also fits the 991 GT3 better than it did the 996 or 997 versions. After seeing the 991 GT3 in the flesh, I wouldn't order it in any color but Guards.
6-Headlights- If you spec a Guards Red car, I highly recommend the black headlights which give the car the appropriate menace, but also match and really bring out the front grillwork. I wasn't sold on black headlights on any car, but I called my dealer an hour after seeing this car and changed back to the black headlights.
7-Stitching/leather-Similar to the color, I wasn't set on the deviated red stitching as otherwise I would have not ordered leather and so would save $4800. However.....now I wouldn't order it any other way. The red stitching adds pop and a special feeling to the interior, but it is still understated and elegant. The extra leather/alcantara parts you get with the "full" leather package really add to the special look of the car and are well worth the money.
8-Leather.2- I wasn't sure I would get full leather/stitching, because I liked the pure track look of previous GT3s. This is one big reason I wanted to see the car before my order locks this week. As stated above, the "full"leather/alcantara you get with the red stitching is totally worth it and doesn't clash with the racing look of the car.
However, I don't think that ordering other leather bits such as extended full dash leather, back of seats leather, or steering wheel column leather is worth it. The car looks incredible without those extra bits of leather. They cost another $5000 and I think adding those bits is unnecessary and with them the GT3 leans more toward an over the top poseur car than a true racer, IMHO.

Sorry I don't have photos. I took several yesterday, and I've been trying to get them to upload to RL for the last 90 minutes without success. Is there a sticky on this? Very frustrating.

Last edited by Drifting; 01-13-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the write up, Drifting. As for the photos, I assume you've downsized them appropriately. If the files are too big they may not upload. I usually resize to a width of 1024 pixels and let the photo program preserve the aspect ratio on the height. The pic ends up being of a good size and the file isn't too big. Don't know if that's the problem you've been having but thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Info from FAQ

Attachments and Images
How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Drifting - you might try opening a free dropbox.com account then save your photos in the public folder. Then right-click on the file and choose "copy public link". In rennlist, paste (ctrl-v) that link into the insert image tool.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool for 930man to share his car with you.That's awesome. I would do the same for a Rennlist friend. If I was to spec the car again I would choose the steering wheel in leather and the extended dash as well as well as red stitching. I tried to change my order but factory refused. My hand touches the steering wheel column all the time on my 0.2 and I wish I had ordered this option on the 991. Look forward to pics.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

Thanks for the great review. You helped confirm anthracite over aluminum and red stitching for me. I am wavering between anthracite and leather; about $1k, not too bad. Thoughts after seeing this car?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little side note...
I was able to get Trevin in to see one the top Porsche collections in the country... I the Ingram collection thanks to rory ..
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Awesome!
Glad to hear your comments on the Gaurds and deviated stitching.
I was waffling between Agate and red...nice to hear comments from those who have seen it in the flesh.
How was that Porsche Ingram collection that 930man spoke of?

Pics ASAP please!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review! Thanks for sharing

As for the pictures, imgur.com is really easy to use to upload pictures and requires no user account. Click on upload then just copy the links and post them here. I hope that helps.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Very cool for 930man to share his car with you.That's awesome. I would do the same for a Rennlist friend. If I was to spec the car again I would choose the steering wheel in leather and the extended dash as well as well as red stitching. I tried to change my order but factory refused. My hand touches the steering wheel column all the time on my 0.2 and I wish I had ordered this option on the 991. Look forward to pics.
Silverrules.. So you're saying the steering column huh?.. It has stitching on it and I also think that for the price it seems like a very visible piece which would look nice wrapped in leather. why the wheel in leather though?.. Don't like the feel of the alcantara in your hands?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How would you say the interior engine noise level compares to that of the 458? Louder? About the same?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Silverrules.. So you're saying the steering column huh?.. It has stitching on it and I also think that for the price it seems like a very visible piece which would look nice wrapped in leather. why the wheel in leather though?.. Don't like the feel of the alcantara in your hands?

Alexio, I messed up and didn't order the steering column in leather. I like the Alcantra feel for the steering wheel and thats what I have on my .2 but was worried about the wear and tear on Alcantra and the reason for ordering the leather steering. For short term Alcantra will be fine. So far my 0.2 is 3.5 yrs old and no sign of wear on Alcantra steering wheel but over time it could be an issue. My plan is to keep the new toy around for a while but who know's what Porsche will come out with next. They are both good. Cant go wrong with Alcantra wheel.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:42 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by 930man
A little side note...
I was able to get Trevin in to see one the top Porsche collections in the country... I the Ingram collection thanks to rory ..
I thought I was bad with changing cars until I saw your list. DARN IT
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 930man
A little side note...
I didn't mention this in my original post, but while I was there checking out Matt's car, he offered to call up Rory Ingram, and 40 minutes later we were checking out the #2 collection of Porsche cars in the US! It was incredible. They have had basically every great Porsche from the last 50 years, meticulously preserved. A little overwhelming to see them all in the flesh together.

The Ingrams were very down to earth and gracious hosts, I really enjoyed meeting them. They were also an encyclopedia of Porsche knowledge.

It was a great Porsche day in every single way. I owe Matt big time.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dev
Thanks for the great review. You helped confirm anthracite over aluminum and red stitching for me. I am wavering between anthracite and leather; about $1k, not too bad. Thoughts after seeing this car?

Thanks.
Between those two I would go with anthracite, and not just because you save a grand. I really like the anthracite on Matt's car. It blended much better with the alcantara on the lower part of the doors and bottom of the dask, than the standard aluminum. It also looks special and high end, like something you'd see in a Ferrari.

My car locks tomorrow and I ordered aluminum trim-Anthracite.

A nice picture comparison of leather vs anthracite is in the the thread GT3s attack norcal.

Personally, I would opt for leather on the door and anthracite on dash trim and center console, but you have to choose one or the other and anthracite looks best in all those place, and fortunately is the cheapest.

Quick Reply: Guards Red GT3 drive in NC