Sponsored by:

Reduced engine performance problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Agreed. Have new sensor in, heading to track Saturday. Will report back if any issues arise.
Sam, wonder if its the same sensor as on the 0.2?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Sam, wonder if its the same sensor as on the 0.2?
I have no idea and when they looked to order it, I was told the sensors are only available in a warehouse in the northeast. I would think the 0.2 would be more readily available. Also, FWIW, my mechanic told me that track use had nothing to do with it failing, which I'm having a hard time accepting since it failed on the track. Maybe a coincidence...
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sunnyr. You have to talk to a Porsche tech regards the official bullitins on the car which will include a number of obviously minor issues that affect the 997 (interior, software, general wear items, tollerance etc). The larger one that comes to mind is the inlet manifold. I dont hang out on the 997 GT3 board or proclaim to know much about them but I do know a couple of people including a 4.0RS owner that had this replaced (under recall). Not sure if it affected just a batch of cars (component QC) but I think that was the case....
Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
silverrules
Drifting

I have no idea and when they looked to order it, I was told the sensors are only available in a warehouse in the northeast. I would think the 0.2 would be more readily available. Also, FWIW, my mechanic told me that track use had nothing to do with it failing, which I'm having a hard time accepting since it failed on the track. Maybe a coincidence...
Thanks Sam. Can you please ask them when you pick up the car? I think it would be nice to know. Service guys should know. The work order should have the part# as well. If you provide the PN we can check and see.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Thanks Sam. Can you please ask them when you pick up the car? I think it would be nice to know. Service guys should know. The work order should have the part# as well. If you provide the PN we can check and see.
I already have the car back and so far, driving OK. I'll text my mechanic tomorrow to find out.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Sunnyr. You have to talk to a Porsche tech regards the official bullitins on the car which will include a number of obviously minor issues that affect the 997 (interior, software, general wear items, tollerance etc). The larger one that comes to mind is the inlet manifold. I dont hang out on the 997 GT3 board or proclaim to know much about them but I do know a couple of people including a 4.0RS owner that had this replaced (under recall). Not sure if it affected just a batch of cars (component QC) but I think that was the case....
The inlet manifold issue/recall only affected the .2 RS cars AFAIK (both 3.8 and 4.0), but not non-RS GT3s.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 PM
silverrules
Drifting

I already have the car back and so far, driving OK. I'll text my mechanic tomorrow to find out.
THANK YOU Sam
Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Estimates suggest around 6-700 991 GT3 have now been produced and delivered to customers
Wow - that is a lot of GT3's already!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
The inlet manifold issue/recall only affected the .2 RS cars AFAIK (both 3.8 and 4.0), but not non-RS GT3s.
Correct, the only major issue for the 997.2 GT3s was the those disastrous CLs they introduced... The coolant pipe issue whilst technically still possible was apparently addressed thru different adhesive and longer tubes... There have not been a great number of failures to date posted.

The RSs copped the brunt of issues... inlet manifold, CLs, cam gear bolts backing out, pressure plates and clutches... may have missed other issues. Whilst the more sort after, definitely the more plagued with issues...
Old 01-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Chris. Im not much of a 997 GT3 expert but I do recall my tech showing me the bullitin list and it looked plenty long enough. actually a mate of mine was there about to tear shreds off someone as he was told his 3.8 RS needed the CL rebuilt every time he came back from a trip to the country and back! Another owner I know has had his 4.0RS in for at least three recalls the first before he took delivery....

Lets see what happens with the cam sensor and if they release a bullitin!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No worries Macca... The Porsche engineers have definitely been dropping the ball heaps in recent years and it's certainly well before the 991...

The 997.2 GT3 would have been the perfect evolution over the 997.1 had it not been for some genius who came with the idea of making it sportier with CLs... Can't win them all...
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

est8esq, you have one heck of a gorgeous car there. That is exactly how I'll buy my used 991 GT3 in the future when I'm back in North America.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Saeed Alkutbi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My porche was tolled to the Dubai Porsche service center last sunday january 12, 2014. Since then I knew nothing about my car nor was I offered a temp car. Today they called me and told me that. there is a problem with the engine control unit and they sent the part to Germany to check it out, and they also said that they found high fuel in the engine. Now I have to wait again until Monday to hear from germany and God knows what will be the response! So another week will pass by without my car and I've only enjoyed it for 10 days !
Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Saeed Alkutbi
....they also said that they found high fuel in the engine. Now I have to wait again until Monday to hear from germany and God knows what will be the response! So another week will pass by without my car and I've only enjoyed it for 10 days !
Okay, I'll bite. What is high fuel?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

What he's probably trying to say is that the engine is flooded with fuel. It happens when the injectors are spraying fuel but no spark is occurring,thus no ignition. I think this is especially easier to happen in a DFI engine,where injectors are spraying fuel directly on top of the cylinder.
Now,I'm not taking sides here,but this man has been accused of being a troll and spam. Maybe that's not the case. Keep an open mind people.
I think it is more valuable to find out what happened and what was the cause,it's probably just 1 incident,no big deal.

Quick Reply: Reduced engine performance problem