Reduced engine performance problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam Sensor

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
This popped up several times so far. Lift works fine. They couldn't really find any issues and the thought for now is that this message is a "software issue".
I'm flying home from Sebring after Winterfest and had the same problem.

The first time it happened, it ended up being a faulty cam sensor. They replaced it and after driving back from Sarasota, it ran fine for one full day. Then, it went into limp mode again showing the same, reduced performance warning. So, we too it off the track and left it overnight. When I went to get it over to a local dealership to await the flatbed, I had similar issues w/ the lift when when it was still working. Then, only a few minutes into my drive, the engine temp went out. Then, the engine fans went crazy thinking the car was overheating?

I'm about to catch flight back home, so waiting to hear what status of my car is??

On a side note, this car on track is absolutely unbelievable… when it' running.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq

The first time it happened, it ended up being a faulty cam sensor. They replaced it and after driving back from Sarasota, it ran fine for one full day. Then, it went into limp mode again showing the same, reduced performance warning. So, we too it off the track and left it overnight. When I went to get it over to a local dealership to await the flatbed, I had similar issues w/ the lift when when it was still working. Then, only a few minutes into my drive, the engine temp went out. Then, the engine fans went crazy thinking the car was overheating?

I'm about to catch flight back home, so waiting to hear what status of my car is??

Well, my mechanic just called: faulty cam shaft position sesnsor. He thinks it's a fluke thing and had nothiong to do with track or gas quality. Now that it happened to you, make me wonder if it's a bad batch or was it the part that delayed production or what? Only time will tell.
Sorry about your trouble!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Well, my mechanic just called: faulty cam shaft position sesnsor. He thinks it's a fluke thing and had nothiong to do with track or gas quality. Now that it happened to you, make me wonder if it's a bad batch or was it the part that delayed production or what? Only time will tell.
Sorry about your trouble!
maybe you could "politely" mention est8esq's episode to your mechanic--sounds like it's not just a fluke after all?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
maybe you could "politely" mention est8esq's episode to your mechanic--sounds like it's not just a fluke after all?
I did. He thought it may be a bad batch! That was reassuring.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

This is not good news. Hope this issue is getting back to Porsche in Germany. Houston we have a problem!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear these troubles guys. Hope they figure this out quickly. Problem is most these mechanics have not been properly trained. I talked to our master mechanics at our dealer and they are a big dealer around here and he said he just came back from training and there was no GT3 at trainng site for them to work on. He was pretty disappointed. It was all manual and no hands on. I bet they will ask German engineers to fly over for this one and they better do it quickly. Frankly I be pissed.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 AM
Saeed Alkutbi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dubai porsche service center call me and they tell me it's only need programming and they have new update for program my car was can't start and same error with samfromTX .
Old 01-14-2014, 04:14 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saeed Alkutbi
Dubai porsche service center call me and they tell me it's only need programming and they have new update for program my car was can't start and same error with samfromTX .
What does the update apply to? Is it engine mapping? PDK mapping? Are there any other details you can share?

Thanks for the update, Saeed! Let us know what happens.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:38 AM
Saeed Alkutbi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go there and I will ask them what the problem and about the update
Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq

est8esq,

I ran with you on the track a couple of times, the car looks beautiful.
Not sure about your experience level, but I think you were certainly beating the living daylights out of the car in the solo group.

I never saw you off the track and I was parked in a the far away corner of the paddock.

Thank you so much for sharing; Your report makes me so angry with Porsche...What a way to destroy your weekend.

We laugh and take bets, make jokes when we see the Lambo's Ferrari's, GTR's, BMW M etc show up because we know they don't last and we're very confident in our old GT3's.
BTW, we ran easy 10 hours of track time in the RSA and other guys in their high mileage GT3' with nothing more than adding gas tires, gas and pads..

Now you confirm our fears with the first 991 GT3 I see on track and iyt was not even hot!
Please keep us posted.

Just another fast car that's not track proven and not track worthy until proven otherwise...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not like the 9A1 motor in the 991 GT3 blew up ... it just has electrical issues which are common teething problems for any new platform.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

^^This.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I did not say it blew up, I just quoted the owners comments and concluded that his weekend got more or less ruined by an unreliable unproven on the track car.

Now its just like all the others I'm afraid

I would have given it right back to the dealer and will if that happens to me on my first weekend at the track... I get really cranky when I make time with a lot of effort to be at a track and the car lets me down. specially a shiny new one.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
I'm going to have some fun and speculate here.

The 997.2 RS had a compression ratio of 12.2:1 which is very high for a street motor that runs on pump gas by default.

As if this wasn't crazy enough, the 997.3 had it raised again to 12.6:1. Andreas Preunninger himself said, “We played with ratios as high as 13.0:1. However, we encountered some detonation at this level, so we settled on 12.6:1"

With the 991's DFI and a few other tricks, the compression ratio is 12.9:1 (!). Anyone who has a bit of engine building knowledge knows this is insanely high for pump gas.

Throw in the 9,000 RPM redline and a splash of cheap fuel and we got a recipe for disaster.

ECU's these days are very advanced and I'm sure the knock sensor(s) in the 9A1 has very high resolution but that just means she's going to go to limp mode really easily which I suppose is better than throwing a connecting rod out of the block!
Probably not a bad idea to run 98 octane at the track
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I can hear Porsche saying, "Did you read the manual? We warned against sustained high rev's during the break-in period."

My response would be go **** yourselves and fix the damn car!

Quick Reply: Reduced engine performance problem