Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced engine performance problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Didn't want to freak people out but...

This popped up several times so far. Lift works fine. They couldn't really find any issues and the thought for now is that this message is a "software issue".
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lift system been around for few years. This one is probably a glitch that will get fixed. The reduced performance one is a interesting one.
Saeed said he could not start the car. Not sure about Sam's car.

I am just speculating but doubt bad fuel is the cause. strange that two new owners are reporting same issue within couple weeks of delivery and they both used bad fuel
Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Lift system been around for few years. This one is probably a glitch that will get fixed. The reduced performance one is a interesting one.

I am just speculating but doubt bad fuel is the cause. strange that two new owners are reporting same issue within couple weeks of delivery and they both used bad fuel
I'm going to have some fun and speculate here.

The 997.2 RS had a compression ratio of 12.2:1 which is very high for a street motor that runs on pump gas by default.

As if this wasn't crazy enough, the 997.3 had it raised again to 12.6:1. Andreas Preunninger himself said, “We played with ratios as high as 13.0:1. However, we encountered some detonation at this level, so we settled on 12.6:1"

With the 991's DFI and a few other tricks, the compression ratio is 12.9:1 (!). Anyone who has a bit of engine building knowledge knows this is insanely high for pump gas.

Throw in the 9,000 RPM redline and a splash of cheap fuel and we got a recipe for disaster.

ECU's these days are very advanced and I'm sure the knock sensor(s) in the 9A1 has very high resolution but that just means she's going to go to limp mode really easily which I suppose is better than throwing a connecting rod out of the block!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by silverrules

Mine drives perfectly fine, until 7,000 RPM. It'll behave like you hit the rev limiter.

Originally Posted by redleg321
I'm going to have some fun and speculate here.

The 997.2 RS had a compression ratio of 12.2:1 which is very high for a street motor that runs on pump gas by default.

As if this wasn't crazy enough, the 997.3 had it raised again to 12.6:1. Andreas Preunninger himself said, “We played with ratios as high as 13.0:1. However, we encountered some detonation at this level, so we settled on 12.6:1"

With the 991's DFI and a few other tricks, the compression ratio is 12.9:1 (!). Anyone who has a bit of engine building knowledge knows this is insanely high for pump gas.

Throw in the 9,000 RPM redline and a splash of cheap fuel and we got a recipe for disaster.

ECU's these days are very advanced and I'm sure the knock sensor(s) in the 9A1 has very high resolution but that just means she's going to go to limp mode really easily which I suppose is better than throwing a connecting rod out of the block!
I hope it was "a splash of cheap fuel" or a bit of water that did mine.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have my gt3 yet but I'll take a stab at it since I see regularly on a different brand. (BMW x6m with and without dinan)
1. Acceleration without warm up. Happens very often. You can pretty much count on 50% if you launch from dead stop.
2. Bad fuel.
3. Bad fuel pump triggers this. ( replaced twice)

Solution: none, flashed software three times, two pumps and a lot of free coffe.
Turn off ignition, restart and good to go.

I could be totally wrong so don't shot me.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dude-
I don't have my gt3 yet but I'll take a stab at it since I see regularly on a different brand. (BMW x6m with and without dinan)
1. Acceleration without warm up. Happens very often. You can pretty much count on 50% if you launch from dead stop.
2. Bad fuel.

Solution: none, flashed software three times, two pumps and a lot of free coffe.

I used an OBD II reader and the fault is P0004 (Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit High). Don't know what that means. Number 1 in your post definitely excluded. I'm still hoping for 2
Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 561 Posts

Well, DFI allows for almost diesel-like compression. For example, Mazda now has 14:1 on a rather simple and cheap DFI engines (http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/sky...kyactiv-g.html). Also, at high RPM engines are less susceptible to detonation. Not saying that there is not a problem with something - obviously there is - but it's not because this compression is fundamentally difficult to achieve.

I am really worried now :-(
Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 PM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I used an OBD II reader and the fault is P0004 (Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit High). Don't know what that means. Number 1 in your post definitely excluded. I'm still hoping for 2
More speculation on my part: 7,000 RPM's and above should contain a LOT of ignition advance so that's where you would put fuel/ignition cuts if you're trying to avoid detonation on bad fuel. It could also be the fuel pump causing low volume so your injector duty cycles will be past some safety threshhold causing the same routine. I'd be interested to see timing and air/fuel values logged to see if she's pulling a bunch of timing and running rich for safety. Does it feel less torquey?

It could be either one; I'd take easy with the revving until it gets looked at.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 PM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Well, DFI allows for almost diesel-like compression. For example, Mazda now has 14:1 on a rather simple and cheap DFI engines (http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/sky...kyactiv-g.html). Also, at high RPM engines are less susceptible to detonation. Not saying that there is not a problem with something - obviously there is - but it's not because this compression is fundamentally difficult to achieve.

I am really worried now :-(
Understood, but there's no way to get around the fact that compression can't increase without overcoming the octane limitation of pump fuel and that's always been an issue. At high RPMs you're also going to see timing values at their highest (yes, sometimes it's at peak torque but it'll be up there), so poorly burning fuel at 25 degrees of ignition advance while piston speed is at peak = detonation pressure spikes and boom. Hopefully a head gasket blows rather than a rod snapping.

It'd be nice if E85 was supported. I reckon this problem wouldn't occur.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Does it feel less torquey?

It could be either one; I'd take easy with the revving until it gets looked at.
Feels normal until 7K. Yes, not driving it until they pick it up tomorrow. Will report back once they figure it out.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In Saeed's case he could not start his car while it was safe for your car to drive. You would think with same error message they both behave the same unless his message is different. Unfortunately his message is blank. DARN IT

Saeed, please repost your error message. Make sure the picture extension is .jpg
Old 01-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Marv.Frazier
Rennlist Member

Wonder how long it will take them to diagnose this new engine? wonder if they will need to escalate?

The fun part of getting one of the first cars I guess. Hoping it is resolved soon so that you can have her back.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
2. Bad fuel.

Everyone calm down. Sam, stop biting your nails!

I believe it may be #1 as above from Dude.

Remember Sport Auto in Germany had the exact same issue with their demo car. The one they did the 7.30 Ring lap in. They put it on the dyno and it flashed a message and would only run up to 7000 rpm. Porsche reputedly sent a rep over with a panel and re-flashed the ECU. They never said exactly what the issue was but we speculated on here it may be due to the way the car was run on the dyno, apparently many modem sports cars find there ECUs trigger a fault not understanding how the car is being used. This may be something propriety to the new Siemens ECU used in teh GT3 for the first time.

In regard to the fault code you are running here 00004, this may simply be the system that shorts the fault but not particularly indicative of the issue at large. If it is Id be guessing low octane fuel or perhaps the engine needed to warm through more before use....

Just a few ideas, but dont panic yet. Its an embarrassing thing to happen at a track day I must admit so I understand how you feel, but I think this may (hopefully) be a simply software issue thats already reported with the car,. Afterall I know at least four others already using tehcar at the track in Europe that have had no issue. In Europe you can get 98 RON everyhwere and 100RON in many countries. Thats 93 MON and 94 MON for USA. So the gas in Europe is still better than USA. 12.9 compression is getting close to full race car standards just a few years back (13.0-14.0) in a road car and with those race cars only hi octane race fuel was used....
Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Everyone calm down. Sam, stop biting your nails!

I believe it may be #1 as above from Dude.

Remember Sport Auto in Germany had the exact same issue with their demo car. The one they did the 7.30 Ring lap in. They put it on the dyno and it flashed a message and would only run up to 7000 rpm. Porsche reputedly sent a rep over with a panel and re-flashed the ECU. They never said exactly what the issue was but we speculated on here it may be due to the way the car was run on the dyno, apparently many modem sports cars find there ECUs trigger a fault not understanding how the car is being used. This may be something propriety to the new Siemens ECU used in teh GT3 for the first time.

In regard to the fault code you are running here 00004, this may simply be the system that shorts the fault but not particularly indicative of the issue at large. If it is Id be guessing low octane fuel or perhaps the engine needed to warm through more before use....

Just a few ideas, but dont panic yet. Its an embarrassing thing to happen at a track day I must admit so I understand how you feel, but I think this may (hopefully) be a simply software issue thats already reported with the car,. Afterall I know at least four others already using tehcar at the track in Europe that have had no issue. In Europe you can get 98 RON everyhwere and 100RON in many countries. Thats 93 MON and 94 MON for USA. So the gas in Europe is still better than USA. 12.9 compression is getting close to full race car standards just a few years back (13.0-14.0) in a road car and with those race cars only hi octane race fuel was used....
Thanks, Macca. Not number 1, I assure you. I never get on track (even for warm up laps) unless oil temp is 180 or more. Never. Your post makes me feel better. Tomorrow we will know more. Yes, it was embarrassing, especially when I was on a Cup car's behind and then suddenly got out of everyone's way.....
Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Dude-
Pro

BLAH

Last edited by Dude-; 01-13-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Reduced engine performance problem