Sponsored by:

Very brief track day report.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Very brief track day report.

Today, I went to the local track again, MSR and they were running the full track, so it is a 3.1 mile configuration that only runs conunter-clockwise. A configuration I had more days on than the previous report. The GT3 had some alignment adjustment, with -3.1 camber on fronts, and -2.1 (or -2.2) rears. The rear sway bar comes stock in the middle, and mine is now adjusted to the firmest of 3 settings. I left the front alone, in the middle. The car rotates like nuts and compared to the Turbo S, it felt "loose". That sensation went away after the first session, as I adapted to the new car. Despite the aggressive front negative camber (at its max, no more thread left to go beyond -3.1), the car will understeer a tad if pushed beyond its limits. Can be fixed by softening the front sway bar but the car will not be balanced. For now, this setup is great for me. I had my GoPro on, only to find out I didn't put the SD card in!! Not much to see anyway because the track had 5 or 6 cars total at a time. I swapped the tires (right/left) and am going again tomorrow. It seems the PSC2 will last 2 or 3 full days (4 or 5 30 min sessions) at best

Some lap times to show how fast this thing is:

991 Turbo S : 2:25:02 (temp 42, PSS). This was the first and only day in the TTS running this configuration. No in car coach.

991 GT3: 2:21:60 (temp 59, SC2). Had passenger (coach).

To be fair, I believe that if I drove the Turbo S a few more times, I would have easily chopped a second (only ran two sessions) and my first two sessions in the GT3 today were 1:22:xx. Still, two seconds in a 3.1 mile track is awesome.

This car rocks. With luck, I'll post a video from tomorrow. I understand at least 2 997 RS cars will be there as well as a modified McLaren.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! Thanks for the updates and track reports. Thirsty for more.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:21 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

That's pretty quick. I will see you there tomorrow. Maybe I should bring my red gloves so you can better see my point by.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I can only bring one car. I want to try out the 458 (stock, on pirelli street tires)...won't push to hard. With heat cycled Hoosiers, I ran a 2:21.xx in the RS last time. Zweebach ran a 2:20.xx I think in the green RS.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still on stock tires?

post some video from tomorrow's run. This is good stuff.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by ranger22
That's pretty quick. I will see you there tomorrow. Maybe I should bring my red gloves so you can better see my point by.

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I can only bring one car. I want to try out the 458 (stock, on pirelli street tires)...won't push to hard. With heat cycled Hoosiers, I ran a 2:21.xx in the RS last time. Zweebach ran a 2:20.xx I think in the green RS.
My tires are beat up already so I won't push too hard either.

Originally Posted by wanna911
You still on stock tires?

post some video from tomorrow's run. This is good stuff.
Yes, still on the SC2. Hoosiers would easily add speed. The car has much more in it, I'm just not at that level and am still trying to figure out its handling characteristics and the right tire pressure. I'll run 2 PSI lower today and if I remember, I'll buy a tire pyrometer.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Also forgot to mention that by the end of the day yesterday, Low engine oil light came on (red) and the level was at the bottom. I added a full quart. I started at 3/4 level, so I guess by now, the car used about 700-800 mL.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My tires are beat up already so I won't push too hard either
Wow - after one day at the track!? I was under the impression that the 991 suspension was easier on tires than the 997?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM
lamarmotte
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Also forgot to mention that by the end of the day yesterday, Low engine oil light came on (red) and the level was at the bottom. I added a full quart. I started at 3/4 level, so I guess by now, the car used about 700-800 mL.
It's a lot ! Is it the same with the TTS ?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Despite the aggressive front negative camber (at its max, no more thread left to go beyond -3.1)…..
Can you rotate the struts as in RS to get more camber? What's the cutoff point? 997.2 RS maxed around -2.4/-2.5 without rotating struts.

This seems odd. Never added a drop of oil (outside oil changes) to RS in more than 5k miles including a couple of hot track days.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Have you had it on scales? Really interested to know how much it weighs in the real world.

Jealous, the 3.1 track is a lot of fun - I miss it.

Are you planning to experiment with 19" wheels to get some Hohos on it?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Many Thanks again Sam for your unique continuing observations as an experienced objective owner on tracking both the 991Turbo S and the GT3. I would greatly appreciate you comparing the track behavior of those 2 very different models for us, similarities and differences.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Smile

I've had the same experience with new Automobile and Aircraft engines. It generally takes several thousand miles on cars and 20-30 hours on aircraft engines before the Piston Rings break in and seal the cylinders.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Slicks...
Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by brake dust
Wow - after one day at the track!? I was under the impression that the 991 suspension was easier on tires than the 997?
Can't compare but that post was half joke and half truth

Originally Posted by lamarmotte
It's a lot ! Is it the same with the TTS ?
The TTS and C4S never needed a drop.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Can you rotate the struts as in RS to get more camber? What's the cutoff point? 997.2 RS maxed around -2.4/-2.5 without rotating struts.

Don't know about strut rotation, unless you mean caster. I'm maxed at -3.1 but had to replace stock bushings with ones from the 996 (same as in 997 but cheaper)

This seems odd. Never added a drop of oil (outside oil changes) to RS in more than 5k miles including a couple of hot track days.
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

Have you had it on scales? Really interested to know how much it weighs in the real world.

Jealous, the 3.1 track is a lot of fun - I miss it.

Are you planning to experiment with 19" wheels to get some Hohos on it?
No scales but I bet at the heaviest side, considering the adaptive seats and steel brakes.

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Many Thanks again Sam for your unique continuing observations as an experienced objective owner on tracking both the 991Turbo S and the GT3. I would greatly appreciate you comparing the track behavior of those 2 very different models for us, similarities and differences.
For drag racing, TTS. Track, GT3. Tossable and much easier to rotate. Feels good, sounds good, all good....

Quick Reply: Very brief track day report.